Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Why are there so many Windows Vista Post's in this Newsgroup?

Why are there so many Windows Vista Post's in this Newsgroup?

Kevin John Panzke

Why are there so many Windows Vista X64 Post's in this Newsgroup? Last time
I Visited this Newsgroup, Charlie Russell was telling everyone: This is
Supposed to be a Newsgroup about Windows XP Pro X64 Edition, what happened
to this Newsgroup? Did Microsoft Officially Change Its Policy about This
Newsgroup, or does Charlie have a Softie Side for allowing people to Bend
The Rules for This Newsgroup?

On a Side Note: My DELL XPS 600 is in need of Major Repair's (it needs a
New Mother Board), so I won't be running both Windows XP Pro X64 Edition,
and Windows Vista X64 Ultimate Edition RC1 until it gets Repaired, Just FYI.

=?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=

Kevin:
Frequent posters in this NG have declared our Independence and "extended"
(no pun intended) the x64 to XP and Vista.
Carlos

"Kevin John Panzke" wrote:

> Why are there so many Windows Vista X64 Post's in this Newsgroup? Last time
> I Visited this Newsgroup, Charlie Russell was telling everyone: This is
> Supposed to be a Newsgroup about Windows XP Pro X64 Edition, what happened
> to this Newsgroup? Did Microsoft Officially Change Its Policy about This
> Newsgroup, or does Charlie have a Softie Side for allowing people to Bend
> The Rules for This Newsgroup?
>
> On a Side Note: My DELL XPS 600 is in need of Major Repair's (it needs a
> New Mother Board), so I won't be running both Windows XP Pro X64 Edition,
> and Windows Vista X64 Ultimate Edition RC1 until it gets Repaired, Just FYI.

Colin Barnhorst

Because the Help and Support Center/Communities in Vista lists this as the
appropriate ng for 64bit questions. We questioned MS on this and were told
that this ng is not platform specific, hence its name as
"windows.64bit.general" (rather than "windowsXP.64bit.general"). It is one
of five ng's that are not named "Vista" that are nevertheless considered
appropriate for listing as supporting Vista users.

"Kevin John Panzke" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Why are there so many Windows Vista X64 Post's in this Newsgroup? Last
> time I Visited this Newsgroup, Charlie Russell was telling everyone: This
> is Supposed to be a Newsgroup about Windows XP Pro X64 Edition, what
> happened to this Newsgroup? Did Microsoft Officially Change Its Policy
> about This Newsgroup, or does Charlie have a Softie Side for allowing
> people to Bend The Rules for This Newsgroup?
>
> On a Side Note: My DELL XPS 600 is in need of Major Repair's (it needs a
> New Mother Board), so I won't be running both Windows XP Pro X64 Edition,
> and Windows Vista X64 Ultimate Edition RC1 until it gets Repaired, Just
> FYI.

Charlie Russel - MVP

I'm not sure who this Russell person is, since I know you couldn't mean me.
My name is spelled Russel.

We bowed to the inevitable here, given the settings that Vista has built in
to it and we handle anything that looks even remotely 64bit. (And I never
said this group was only for XP x64, since we've always handled 64bit
versions of Server 2003 as well, though there isn't much in the way of
knowledge here about Itanium, we've got plenty of folks who can support x64
Server.)

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
"Kevin John Panzke" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Why are there so many Windows Vista X64 Post's in this Newsgroup? Last
> time I Visited this Newsgroup, Charlie Russell was telling everyone: This
> is Supposed to be a Newsgroup about Windows XP Pro X64 Edition, what
> happened to this Newsgroup? Did Microsoft Officially Change Its Policy
> about This Newsgroup, or does Charlie have a Softie Side for allowing
> people to Bend The Rules for This Newsgroup?
>
> On a Side Note: My DELL XPS 600 is in need of Major Repair's (it needs a
> New Mother Board), so I won't be running both Windows XP Pro X64 Edition,
> and Windows Vista X64 Ultimate Edition RC1 until it gets Repaired, Just
> FYI.

Homer J. Simpson

> Why are there so many Windows Vista X64 Post's in this Newsgroup? Last
> time I Visited this Newsgroup, Charlie Russell was telling everyone: This
> is Supposed to be a Newsgroup about Windows XP Pro X64 Edition, what
> happened to this Newsgroup? Did Microsoft Officially Change Its Policy
> about This Newsgroup, or does Charlie have a Softie Side for allowing
> people to Bend The Rules for This Newsgroup?

I wasn't aware Charlie owned this newsgroup.

John Barnes

Maybe not owned but surely influential in getting a dedicated 64-bit
newsgroup.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Why are there so many Windows Vista X64 Post's in this Newsgroup? Last
>> time I Visited this Newsgroup, Charlie Russell was telling everyone:
>> This is Supposed to be a Newsgroup about Windows XP Pro X64 Edition, what
>> happened to this Newsgroup? Did Microsoft Officially Change Its Policy
>> about This Newsgroup, or does Charlie have a Softie Side for allowing
>> people to Bend The Rules for This Newsgroup?

> I wasn't aware Charlie owned this newsgroup.

Charlie Russel - MVP

Funny, I wasn't either!

I don't own it, and I certainly am not a MS employee. Though I have been
known to sell my work to MS upon occasion, and I certainly have written a
few things about MS technologies over the years.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Why are there so many Windows Vista X64 Post's in this Newsgroup? Last
>> time I Visited this Newsgroup, Charlie Russell was telling everyone:
>> This is Supposed to be a Newsgroup about Windows XP Pro X64 Edition, what
>> happened to this Newsgroup? Did Microsoft Officially Change Its Policy
>> about This Newsgroup, or does Charlie have a Softie Side for allowing
>> people to Bend The Rules for This Newsgroup?

> I wasn't aware Charlie owned this newsgroup.

Charlie Russel - MVP

awww, come on guys. I've always wanted my very own newsgroup. One where I
can be a total troll and no one can boot me out.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
news:u$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Maybe not owned but surely influential in getting a dedicated 64-bit
> newsgroup.
>

> "Homer J. Simpson" <root@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Why are there so many Windows Vista X64 Post's in this Newsgroup? Last
>>> time I Visited this Newsgroup, Charlie Russell was telling everyone:
>>> This is Supposed to be a Newsgroup about Windows XP Pro X64 Edition,
>>> what happened to this Newsgroup? Did Microsoft Officially Change Its
>>> Policy about This Newsgroup, or does Charlie have a Softie Side for
>>> allowing people to Bend The Rules for This Newsgroup?

>> I wasn't aware Charlie owned this newsgroup.

Jud Hendrix

On Fri, 15 Sep 2006 09:32:31 -0700, "Charlie Russel - MVP"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>awww, come on guys. I've always wanted my very own newsgroup. One where I
>can be a total troll and no one can boot me out.

Well, nobody can stop you to create your own group in the alt.* domain )

jud

Charlie Russel - MVP

<g>

--