Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Problem setting up XP-64 on ASUS M2N-E and X1800XT

Problem setting up XP-64 on ASUS M2N-E and X1800XT

=?Utf-8?B?Sm9zZXBo?=

System Configuration:

Motherboard: ASUS M2N-E (NVIDIA nForce® 570 Ultra™ MCP)
Motherboard BIOS: 0304 (Aug 18, 2006)
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ Manchester 2.4GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket 939
Dual Core
RAM: OCz 2x1GB PC6400 (800 MHz) DDR2
Video Card: Sapphire X1800XT 256MB
Hard Disks: 2x250GB Seagate SATA-II in Raid 0 Configuration
CD/DVD writer (Samsung) attached to IDE connector
Floppy Drive connected to FDD connector
6-in-1 drive connected to internal USB1 connector

The only modifications to BIOS default settings were setting date/time, RAID
for SATA-1 and SATA-2 connectors, enabling the system, CPU, and PowerSupply
fans,and changing boot priority to Floppy, CD, then Hard Drive.

I downloaded the 64 bit RAID driver from the ASUS web site to a floppy,
booted from the Windows XP-64 CD, and started XP-64 setup. I pressed F6, and
was prompted for a floppy, I inserted the floppy and specified the two
required drivers to enable RAID. XP continued the setup process, stopping
every once in a while to complain about not being able to read some file off
the CD, asking me to hit return to retry, and everytime I did, it continued
copying, and when all the files were copied, I was asked to re-insert the
floppy with the RAID driver, I did, and after the file was copy, there was
some XP setup activity, and then a blue screen. I re-attempted setup, and the
blue screen returned.

Any ideas?

--thx, Joseph

Nut Cracker

"Joseph" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> System Configuration:
>
> Motherboard: ASUS M2N-E (NVIDIA nForce 570 UltraT MCP)
> Motherboard BIOS: 0304 (Aug 18, 2006)
> CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ Manchester 2.4GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket
> 939
> Dual Core
> RAM: OCz 2x1GB PC6400 (800 MHz) DDR2
> Video Card: Sapphire X1800XT 256MB
> Hard Disks: 2x250GB Seagate SATA-II in Raid 0 Configuration
> CD/DVD writer (Samsung) attached to IDE connector
> Floppy Drive connected to FDD connector
> 6-in-1 drive connected to internal USB1 connector
>
> The only modifications to BIOS default settings were setting date/time,
> RAID
> for SATA-1 and SATA-2 connectors, enabling the system, CPU, and
> PowerSupply
> fans,and changing boot priority to Floppy, CD, then Hard Drive.
>
> I downloaded the 64 bit RAID driver from the ASUS web site to a floppy,
> booted from the Windows XP-64 CD, and started XP-64 setup. I pressed F6,
> and
> was prompted for a floppy, I inserted the floppy and specified the two
> required drivers to enable RAID. XP continued the setup process, stopping
> every once in a while to complain about not being able to read some file
> off
> the CD, asking me to hit return to retry, and everytime I did, it
> continued
> copying, and when all the files were copied, I was asked to re-insert the
> floppy with the RAID driver, I did, and after the file was copy, there was
> some XP setup activity, and then a blue screen. I re-attempted setup, and
> the
> blue screen returned.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> --thx, Joseph

this response is not x64 specific, but speaks more towards doing XP installs
with SATA raid controllers.

It has been my experience with vendors such as SiL and SIIG, that the
documentations says that setups will fail if you try to load windows onto a
raid set. What they suggest you do is have 1 disk in the system, and install
to it. then, when installation is finished, add the second drive and setup
the raid set. Obviously, this would be for a mirror set since the two disks
would be identical to eachother. All vendor documentation i have seen
cautions against installing your OS on a stripe set.

My next comment is to caution you against using a Raid 0 stripe set for your
OS. In 3 words ... DONT DO IT. If you want 500GB of disk space for file
storage, or the perfromance gain by using R0, then add a 3rd disk to the
system, which should not be part of a raid set, and install windows there.
There is no earthly reason to have your OS on a non-fault-tolerant stripe.
Just use a single disk, since a disk failure will take your system down,
regarldless if its one disk, or multiple disks in a R0 set.

Also be certain that your driver works for the SATA chipset in 3.0Gbps mode,
and not just 1.5Gbps mode.

hope this helps ..

- NuTs

Charlie Russel - MVP

This sounds a lot like a bad burn. There is no reason it should complain
about missing files on a good CD with a clean burn and properly seated
cables. It could also be a RAM problem, or problems with the DVD drive
itself.

I would strongly urge you NOT to run in RAID 0. You increase your risk of
catastrophic failure, and total data loss.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
"Joseph" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> System Configuration:
>
> Motherboard: ASUS M2N-E (NVIDIA nForce® 570 Ultra™ MCP)
> Motherboard BIOS: 0304 (Aug 18, 2006)
> CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ Manchester 2.4GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket
> 939
> Dual Core
> RAM: OCz 2x1GB PC6400 (800 MHz) DDR2
> Video Card: Sapphire X1800XT 256MB
> Hard Disks: 2x250GB Seagate SATA-II in Raid 0 Configuration
> CD/DVD writer (Samsung) attached to IDE connector
> Floppy Drive connected to FDD connector
> 6-in-1 drive connected to internal USB1 connector
>
> The only modifications to BIOS default settings were setting date/time,
> RAID
> for SATA-1 and SATA-2 connectors, enabling the system, CPU, and
> PowerSupply
> fans,and changing boot priority to Floppy, CD, then Hard Drive.
>
> I downloaded the 64 bit RAID driver from the ASUS web site to a floppy,
> booted from the Windows XP-64 CD, and started XP-64 setup. I pressed F6,
> and
> was prompted for a floppy, I inserted the floppy and specified the two
> required drivers to enable RAID. XP continued the setup process, stopping
> every once in a while to complain about not being able to read some file
> off
> the CD, asking me to hit return to retry, and everytime I did, it
> continued
> copying, and when all the files were copied, I was asked to re-insert the
> floppy with the RAID driver, I did, and after the file was copy, there was
> some XP setup activity, and then a blue screen. I re-attempted setup, and
> the
> blue screen returned.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> --thx, Joseph

Nut Cracker

I have seen this problem with 2000, XP, and 2003 when there is a read-ahead
option set in the bios. When I turn that off, the setup proceeds without
issue.

- NuTs

news:(E-Mail Removed)...