Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > 64-bit Vista with LCD and HDTV

64-bit Vista with LCD and HDTV

=?Utf-8?B?T25lRGF2ZQ==?=

I need some help setting up a new experimental Vista system, please.

I've been reading lately that MS 32-bit Vista will not support HDTV, but
64-bit will. I have an AMD 64 machine that I am setting up just for Vista
and Office 2007. Right now, it runs 32-bit Vista Beta 2 well. I am buying a
26 inch LCD HDTV-ready monitor that I would like to use with Vista's Media
Center on this machine, as well as to use as this machine's monitor. Right
now, I have Comcast HD digital cable with a set-top box that has HDMI out.
The 64-bit machine has a geoforce graphics card in it and no TV tuner card at
all.

I would greatly appreciate recommendations about my plan before I collect a
pile of hardware and go down the wrong path trying to integrate the system.
Is it do-able with Vista 64 RC1? What components would you recommend (or
have you tried successfully) to configure the system so that I can use the
features of Vista MCE?
--
Thanks
Dave

Barb Bowman

HDTV for cable will require a cable card and a new computer
purchased from a cable labs certified vendor (like Dell and so on)
that has an internal OCUR (Open Cable Unidirectional Receiver).
These pc's will have a certified graphics card that supports HDCP.
You will need a HDCP certified monitor. Both Vista 32 and 64 bit
will support OCUR, but it is up to the OEMs (like Dell) to decide
which they will pre install.

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP

=?Utf-8?B?T25lRGF2ZQ==?=

Thanks for your help, Barb. It is a bit over my head, however. (And over my
pocketbook when you said to buy a new computer...). Can you elaborate or
refer me to a good site that does?
--
Thanks
Dave

"Barb Bowman" wrote:

> HDTV for cable will require a cable card and a new computer
> purchased from a cable labs certified vendor (like Dell and so on)
> that has an internal OCUR (Open Cable Unidirectional Receiver).
> These pc's will have a certified graphics card that supports HDCP.
> You will need a HDCP certified monitor. Both Vista 32 and 64 bit
> will support OCUR, but it is up to the OEMs (like Dell) to decide
> which they will pre install.
>
> On Sat, 9 Sep 2006 23:28:01 -0700, OneDave
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >I need some help setting up a new experimental Vista system, please.
> >
> >I've been reading lately that MS 32-bit Vista will not support HDTV, but
> >64-bit will. I have an AMD 64 machine that I am setting up just for Vista
> >and Office 2007. Right now, it runs 32-bit Vista Beta 2 well. I am buying a
> >26 inch LCD HDTV-ready monitor that I would like to use with Vista's Media
> >Center on this machine, as well as to use as this machine's monitor. Right
> >now, I have Comcast HD digital cable with a set-top box that has HDMI out.
> >The 64-bit machine has a geoforce graphics card in it and no TV tuner card at
> >all.
> >
> >I would greatly appreciate recommendations about my plan before I collect a
> >pile of hardware and go down the wrong path trying to integrate the system.
> >Is it do-able with Vista 64 RC1? What components would you recommend (or
> >have you tried successfully) to configure the system so that I can use the
> >features of Vista MCE?

> --
>
> Barb Bowman
> MS Windows-MVP

Barb Bowman

http://reviews.cnet.com/4531-10921_7-6623848.html
http://www.edbott.com/mediacenter/ar...-media-center/

are the least geeky of what is out there.

basically, there is a DRM enforcement that requires HDCP on both
ends AND a cable labs certified computer for the device that a cable
card is inserted into.

On Sat, 23 Sep 2006 10:13:02 -0700, OneDave
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Thanks for your help, Barb. It is a bit over my head, however. (And over my
>pocketbook when you said to buy a new computer...). Can you elaborate or
>refer me to a good site that does?

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP
Expert Zone & Vista Community Columnist

=?Utf-8?B?T25lRGF2ZQ==?=

Thanks for the background articles. I understand the Vista/MCE issues a lot
better now. I especially liked the interview with Microsoft's VP for Media
Center at:

http://www.engadget.com/2006/03/02/t...lfiore-part-i/

The bottom line is that we have to wait until AFTER Vista is officially
released AND the new device certification of "Digital Cable Ready" is also
marketed before we can hope for Vista and cable HDTV to work through Media
Center. If this capability is my goal, then I should NOT buy ANY new
computer systems or A/V hardware until the industry offers the above to the
marketplace.

Thanks, Dave
--
Thanks