Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > xp64 re activation fail

xp64 re activation fail

ianf

hello
just fitted new amd 64 x2 plus mobo asrock a8 939 same raid as before
the new mobo and cpu being asrock k8 combo-z cpu 939 64 3.0g
winchester

i purchased my copy of xp64 (105.00) about 28th aug 2006 , it is oem

i am certain you must be able to install more than once , i had run the
old sys on an evaluation timed license and felt that it was stable also
i had all the extra drivers in 64 bit form, made sense to buy

any thoughts or comments

ian..

--
ianf
ianf's Profile: http://www.64bit-world.com/forums/member.php?u=333

Charlie Russel - MVP

It's OEM, so one install in a short time frame is all you get by default.
But you should be able to activate by calling the number on the screen when
it says it won't activate over the web. You may need to explain that you had
a failed motherboard and had to replace it.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
"ianf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> hello
> just fitted new amd 64 x2 plus mobo asrock a8 939 same raid as before
> the new mobo and cpu being asrock k8 combo-z cpu 939 64 3.0g
> winchester
>
> i purchased my copy of xp64 (105.00) about 28th aug 2006 , it is oem
>
> i am certain you must be able to install more than once , i had run the
> old sys on an evaluation timed license and felt that it was stable also
> i had all the extra drivers in 64 bit form, made sense to buy
>
> any thoughts or comments
>

> ian..
>

> --
> ianf
> ianf's Profile: http://www.64bit-world.com/forums/member.php?u=333
> View this thread: http://www.64bit-world.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=43972

Dennis Gordon

I just had to do that on a new XP Pro install. Telephone activation takes
about 5 minutes...

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> It's OEM, so one install in a short time frame is all you get by default.
> But you should be able to activate by calling the number on the screen
> when it says it won't activate over the web. You may need to explain that
> you had a failed motherboard and had to replace it.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
> "ianf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> hello
>> just fitted new amd 64 x2 plus mobo asrock a8 939 same raid as before
>> the new mobo and cpu being asrock k8 combo-z cpu 939 64 3.0g
>> winchester
>>
>> i purchased my copy of xp64 (105.00) about 28th aug 2006 , it is oem
>>
>> i am certain you must be able to install more than once , i had run the
>> old sys on an evaluation timed license and felt that it was stable also
>> i had all the extra drivers in 64 bit form, made sense to buy
>>
>> any thoughts or comments
>>

>> ian..
>>

>> --
>> ianf
>> ianf's Profile: http://www.64bit-world.com/forums/member.php?u=333
>> View this thread:
>> http://www.64bit-world.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=43972

Colin Barnhorst

Make sure your timezone and time are set right.

"ianf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> hello
> just fitted new amd 64 x2 plus mobo asrock a8 939 same raid as before
> the new mobo and cpu being asrock k8 combo-z cpu 939 64 3.0g
> winchester
>
> i purchased my copy of xp64 (105.00) about 28th aug 2006 , it is oem
>
> i am certain you must be able to install more than once , i had run the
> old sys on an evaluation timed license and felt that it was stable also
> i had all the extra drivers in 64 bit form, made sense to buy
>
> any thoughts or comments
>

> ian..
>

> --
> ianf
> ianf's Profile: http://www.64bit-world.com/forums/member.php?u=333
> View this thread: http://www.64bit-world.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=43972

ianf

thanks

i will try phone activation, failing that i could retro make the
previous system and buy another copy for this one , and then get 2
large drives ( current 2 x80g ) i am now worried about when the drives
fail ( stripe array) , maybe i should mirror them.if i got 2 x160g or
greater as ide raid could i copy the sata stripe onto the new mirror
and would i then be told i had made a major hardware change, cor its
bad enough to get the os to work without use it once , no offence but
it like a can of coke pull ring / drink / dump £100
next ms will fine if you don't return there dead software ( i really
am sad i felt comfey with w98 )

ianf

--
ianf
ianf's Profile: http://www.64bit-world.com/forums/member.php?u=333
View this thread: http://www.64bit-world.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=43972

ianf

hello

well they did re-activate xp64 via the phone , although i now wish i
had waited to do the original online activation so my question is can i
fit 2 new drives larger capacity , current is 160 g stripe sata array ,
with say 2x300g mirror array and copy over with norton 9 , will i have
to phone them again to
activate , will ms pick up on my hardware change again or is it a m/b
and cpu thing having changed to a dual cpu..

thanks ianf.

--
ianf
ianf's Profile: http://www.64bit-world.com/forums/member.php?u=333
View this thread: http://www.64bit-world.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=43972

Charlie Russel - MVP

There's actually a post somewhere on the MS site about exactly what will
trigger an activation event. But before I started swapping out the boot
drive for a new drive, I'd be inclined to wait 30 days or so from the last
time I had to call.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
"ianf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> hello
>
> well they did re-activate xp64 via the phone , although i now wish i
> had waited to do the original online activation so my question is can i
> fit 2 new drives larger capacity , current is 160 g stripe sata array ,
> with say 2x300g mirror array and copy over with norton 9 , will i have
> to phone them again to
> activate , will ms pick up on my hardware change again or is it a m/b
> and cpu thing having changed to a dual cpu..
>
> thanks ianf.
>

> --
> ianf
> ianf's Profile: http://www.64bit-world.com/forums/member.php?u=333
> View this thread: http://www.64bit-world.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=43972

ianf

thanks charlie

i plan to get 2 large sata drives and use the marvel sata adapter
elsewhere, since jumping from the limited licenses to full xp64 th
system has been less stable so i would like to do a new install an
start afresh , given the time it has taken to fill this set and my ag
i might only need 2 more jumps , although i wish i had bought a mor
powerfull vid card the 6600gt is not a lot better for me than my ti480
, for some reason i thought you could unlock extra pipes on it also los
my main game ( populas )just ablack screen , quake etc seem fine

thanks ian

--
ian
ianf's Profile: http://www.64bit-world.com/forums/member.php?u=33