Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Upgrade from Beta2 x64 to RC1 x64 successful

Upgrade from Beta2 x64 to RC1 x64 successful

Larry Hodges

Just an update...

I upgraded from Beta2 x64 to RC1 x64 without issue. The upgrade has to be
started from within Beta2, not from the CD. And your Beta2 key will be
needed, so don't forget to print out that email before you start! Like I
didn't. Who keeps a hard copy anymore?

Still no Adaptec 39320 RAID drivers, however. Also no DAT support in
Backup.

-Larry

Mark Gillespie

On Fri, 08 Sep 2006 18:49:48 +0100, Larry Hodges
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Just an update...
>
> I upgraded from Beta2 x64 to RC1 x64 without issue. The upgrade has to
> be
> started from within Beta2, not from the CD. And your Beta2 key will be
> needed, so don't forget to print out that email before you start!

Or Alt-Tab, during install, copy and paste!!!!

Larry Hodges

"Mark Gillespie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 08 Sep 2006 18:49:48 +0100, Larry Hodges
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Just an update...
>>
>> I upgraded from Beta2 x64 to RC1 x64 without issue. The upgrade has to
>> be
>> started from within Beta2, not from the CD. And your Beta2 key will be
>> needed, so don't forget to print out that email before you start!

> Or Alt-Tab, during install, copy and paste!!!!

If I remember correctly, you start the upgrade from within Beta2, RC1
restarts the system and begins the install. You are no longer in Beta2 when
prompted for the key.

-Larry

Mark Gillespie

On Fri, 08 Sep 2006 20:31:28 +0100, Larry Hodges
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "Mark Gillespie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Fri, 08 Sep 2006 18:49:48 +0100, Larry Hodges
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> Just an update...
>>>
>>> I upgraded from Beta2 x64 to RC1 x64 without issue. The upgrade has to
>>> be
>>> started from within Beta2, not from the CD. And your Beta2 key will be
>>> needed, so don't forget to print out that email before you start!

>> Or Alt-Tab, during install, copy and paste!!!!

> If I remember correctly, you start the upgrade from within Beta2, RC1
> restarts the system and begins the install. You are no longer in Beta2
> when
> prompted for the key.
>
> -Larry

Mine asked me early on, I could still cut and paste from my original email.

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Here is a Visual Tutorial:
http://activewin.com/articles/2006/16.shtml
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
"Larry Hodges" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Just an update...
>
> I upgraded from Beta2 x64 to RC1 x64 without issue. The upgrade has to be
> started from within Beta2, not from the CD. And your Beta2 key will be
> needed, so don't forget to print out that email before you start! Like I
> didn't. Who keeps a hard copy anymore?
>
> Still no Adaptec 39320 RAID drivers, however. Also no DAT support in
> Backup.
>
> -Larry

=?Utf-8?B?U3BpcmVmbQ==?=

Latecomers to Vista Beta like me will have activated over the phone. I
certainly didn't write down my key - just entered it as it was dictated to
me. if I do an upgrade to RC1 (which I'm painfully downloading now) will I
need to activate again?

I had to do it verbally because the automated system got many many errors -
probably because the Guatemalan broadband is pretty rough.

Colin

Colin Barnhorst

Yes. You can use SIW http://www.gtopala.com/about_siw.html in 5384 x86 to
discover the PK. It is under Software/Secrets.

"Spirefm" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Latecomers to Vista Beta like me will have activated over the phone. I
> certainly didn't write down my key - just entered it as it was dictated to
> me. if I do an upgrade to RC1 (which I'm painfully downloading now) will I
> need to activate again?
>
> I had to do it verbally because the automated system got many many
> errors -
> probably because the Guatemalan broadband is pretty rough.
>
> Colin

- Bobb -

Andre ,

Should I take that Nutrislim ad banner personally ?

To confirm, to NOT wipe out my previous install, I'll start RC1 from x64
Vista Beta2 and then it will reboot.
Can I then leave ( and have it finish on its own) or do I need to answer
any questions ?
I read :
" my clean install of Vista took around 42 minutes (others have reported
20 to 30 mins), while the upgrade took a lot more, nearly 5 hours. " (
for XP)

Can I expect it to be 5 hours to go from Beta 2 to RC1 ( in which case I
cannot put off yard work!) or if not what's typical for just this
upgrade from Beta 2 - any feedback from those that have done it ?

Thanks for the help
Bobb

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Here is a Visual Tutorial:
> http://activewin.com/articles/2006/16.shtml
> --
> Andre
> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

> "Larry Hodges" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>> Just an update...
>>
>> I upgraded from Beta2 x64 to RC1 x64 without issue. The upgrade has
>> to be started from within Beta2, not from the CD. And your Beta2 key
>> will be needed, so don't forget to print out that email before you
>> start! Like I didn't. Who keeps a hard copy anymore?
>>
>> Still no Adaptec 39320 RAID drivers, however. Also no DAT support in
>> Backup.
>>
>> -Larry

- Bobb -

Sorry - I was in the wrong group - I found the answer over in Vista

news:(E-Mail Removed)...