Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Windows restarts after attaching USB hard drive

Windows restarts after attaching USB hard drive

TechnoC@gmail.com

After connecting my USB hard drive my system will reboot. I've tried
turning off the "auto restart on errors" feature only to meet a
blue screen instead. This is occurring after a first time install of
x64. I've used the drive successfully for more than 6 months on
32-bit systems and once on a Vista beta. Anyone have a suggestion?

John Barnes

Suggest you post your error code and message now that you have your BSOD

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> After connecting my USB hard drive my system will reboot. I've tried
> turning off the "auto restart on errors" feature only to meet a
> blue screen instead. This is occurring after a first time install of
> x64. I've used the drive successfully for more than 6 months on
> 32-bit systems and once on a Vista beta. Anyone have a suggestion?

Andre Da Costa [ActiveWin]

You can easily find this information by clicking Start > All Programs >
Maintenance > Problem Reports & Solutions >
View Problem History:

Right click any reports relating to the error messages you are now seeing, >
click View Details copy the contents of the report here or send it to
Microsoft using the Feedback link on the desktop.
--
http://adacosta.spaces.live.com

news:u0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Suggest you post your error code and message now that you have your BSOD
>

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>> After connecting my USB hard drive my system will reboot. I've tried
>> turning off the "auto restart on errors" feature only to meet a
>> blue screen instead. This is occurring after a first time install of
>> x64. I've used the drive successfully for more than 6 months on
>> 32-bit systems and once on a Vista beta. Anyone have a suggestion?

TechnoC@gmail.com

STOP: 0x0000007F (0x0000000000000008, 0x0000000080050031,
0x00000000000006F8, 0xFFFFFADFL6E70DE3)
USBPORT.SYS - address FFFFFADFL6E70DE3 base at FFFFFADFC6E6100,
Datestamp 42435eb4

Andre Da Costa [ActiveWin] wrote:
> You can easily find this information by clicking Start > All Programs >
> Maintenance > Problem Reports & Solutions >
> View Problem History:
>
> Right click any reports relating to the error messages you are now seeing, >
> click View Details copy the contents of the report here or send it to
> Microsoft using the Feedback link on the desktop.
> --
> http://adacosta.spaces.live.com

> news:u0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Suggest you post your error code and message now that you have your BSOD
> >

> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> >> After connecting my USB hard drive my system will reboot. I've tried
> >> turning off the "auto restart on errors" feature only to meet a
> >> blue screen instead. This is occurring after a first time install of
> >> x64. I've used the drive successfully for more than 6 months on
> >> 32-bit systems and once on a Vista beta. Anyone have a suggestion?

Andre Da Costa [ActiveWin]

The only thing I can say the top of my head is, it has something to do with
the USB Port - LOL. The best thing you can do is send in a report using the
Feedback link on your desktop.
--
http://adacosta.spaces.live.com
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> STOP: 0x0000007F (0x0000000000000008, 0x0000000080050031,
> 0x00000000000006F8, 0xFFFFFADFL6E70DE3)
> USBPORT.SYS - address FFFFFADFL6E70DE3 base at FFFFFADFC6E6100,
> Datestamp 42435eb4
>
> Andre Da Costa [ActiveWin] wrote:
>> You can easily find this information by clicking Start > All Programs >
>> Maintenance > Problem Reports & Solutions >
>> View Problem History:
>>
>> Right click any reports relating to the error messages you are now
>> seeing, >
>> click View Details copy the contents of the report here or send it to
>> Microsoft using the Feedback link on the desktop.
>> --
>> http://adacosta.spaces.live.com
>>
>> "John Barnes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:u0$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Suggest you post your error code and message now that you have your
>> > BSOD
>> >

>> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> > news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

Dennis Pack x64, vista rc1 x86 & x64

TechnoC:
I had the same blue screen concern with a Bytecc enclosure with x64.
I put the same hard drive in another enclosure and it works without errors,
then I put a DVD/RW drive in the Bytecc enclosure and it functions normally.
I don't have an answer to why it happens but some external enclosures are
incompatible with x64.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> After connecting my USB hard drive my system will reboot. I've tried
> turning off the "auto restart on errors" feature only to meet a
> blue screen instead. This is occurring after a first time install of
> x64. I've used the drive successfully for more than 6 months on
> 32-bit systems and once on a Vista beta. Anyone have a suggestion?

Dennis Gordon

When I firsrt installed X64 last year, I had the same thing happen the first
few times I put a jump drive into a USB port. The slightest movement of the
drive caused a reboot. Then after a few times it just stopped rebooting and
has worked fine since.

"Dennis Pack x64, vista rc1 x86 & x64" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
in message news:u2HL$(E-Mail Removed)...
> TechnoC:
> I had the same blue screen concern with a Bytecc enclosure with
> x64. I put the same hard drive in another enclosure and it works without
> errors, then I put a DVD/RW drive in the Bytecc enclosure and it functions
> normally. I don't have an answer to why it happens but some external
> enclosures are incompatible with x64.
>
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>> After connecting my USB hard drive my system will reboot. I've tried
>> turning off the "auto restart on errors" feature only to meet a
>> blue screen instead. This is occurring after a first time install of
>> x64. I've used the drive successfully for more than 6 months on
>> 32-bit systems and once on a Vista beta. Anyone have a suggestion?

=?Utf-8?B?Qmxhc3Rkb29y?=

I have had a similar issue with the 32 bit Vista RC1.

I've submitted bug reports, have asked about it online, and have been pretty
thoroughly ignored by everyone.

So, good luck.