Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Vista RC1 Available for Download

Vista RC1 Available for Download

RonK

LOL

news:efw$(E-Mail Removed)...
> It's not just newbies. I recently posted an item from eBay.uk in which a
> system seller insisted that his Core 2 Duo machines ran at 5.33 Ghz
> because each core ran at 2.66 and there since there were two of them....
>
> "RonK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Colin - You do realize that the newbies WILL try that ! LOL

>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>I just install the 32bit drivers twice.
>>>
>>> "Jane C" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Colin Barnhorst

According to the release notes available to TechBeta, this upgrade is not
yet supported. You must still use Custom Install for x64.

"Larry Hodges" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Will RC1 x64 upgrade from Beta2 x64, or does it require a fresh install?
>
> -Larry
>
> "Andre Da Costa [ActiveWin]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Thanks to Sascha Benjamin Jasbec for the link and info:
>> http://download.windowsvista.com/pre...n/download.htm
>>
>> Vista Release Candidate 1 build 5600
>> for 32 and 64bit
>>
>> NOTE: you need your Beta2 Keys to install !
>> --
>> http://adacosta.spaces.live.com

Larry Hodges

Ok, thanks Colin.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> According to the release notes available to TechBeta, this upgrade is not
> yet supported. You must still use Custom Install for x64.
>
> "Larry Hodges" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Will RC1 x64 upgrade from Beta2 x64, or does it require a fresh install?
>>
>> -Larry
>>
>> "Andre Da Costa [ActiveWin]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Thanks to Sascha Benjamin Jasbec for the link and info:
>>> http://download.windowsvista.com/pre...n/download.htm
>>>
>>> Vista Release Candidate 1 build 5600
>>> for 32 and 64bit
>>>
>>> NOTE: you need your Beta2 Keys to install !
>>> --
>>> http://adacosta.spaces.live.com

Tony Sperling

It would appear that different releases have different limitations, this one
seems to be more forgiving:
---snip---
Installation limitations
There are three installation scenarios for Windows Vista RC1:
1.. You can do a clean installation. This process will overwrite any data
that you have on your hard disk or on your installation partition. The
overwritten data will be lost and unrecoverable.
2.. You can upgrade an existing installation of Windows XP.
3.. You can upgrade an existing installation of Windows Vista Beta 2.

No other installation scenarios are supported. Upgrading to this beta from
any other edition of Windows requires a clean installation, as described in
option 1.

---snip---

This, and more can be seen on the support web site at:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvist...y/preview.mspx

Tony. . .

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> According to the release notes available to TechBeta, this upgrade is not
> yet supported. You must still use Custom Install for x64.
>
> "Larry Hodges" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Will RC1 x64 upgrade from Beta2 x64, or does it require a fresh install?
>>
>> -Larry
>>
>> "Andre Da Costa [ActiveWin]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Thanks to Sascha Benjamin Jasbec for the link and info:
>>> http://download.windowsvista.com/pre...n/download.htm
>>>
>>> Vista Release Candidate 1 build 5600
>>> for 32 and 64bit
>>>
>>> NOTE: you need your Beta2 Keys to install !
>>> --
>>> http://adacosta.spaces.live.com

Charlie Russel - MVP

Yes, RC1 is the first really usable build I've seen so far. I've still got
some issues, and I still feel some pain. But it's manageable.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
"Jane C" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> 64 bit driver issues? What are they?
> Although not perfect, RC1 is greatly improved over Beta 2. Shaping up
> well indeed
>

> --
> Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled
> Batteries not included. Braincell on vacation
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Yes.
>>
>> The good news is, I've had this on my Ferrari for 6 days now, and I'm
>> using it for 85-95% of my work. I have booted over to XP x64 an average
>> of once every other day for something specific, and then booted back.
>> It's a solid release.
>>
>> The bad news is it's still a resource hog and the driver issues are still
>> significant. Anyone who has already solved the XP x64 driver issues is
>> likely to be mostly OK, though there are a few gotchas that are still
>> getting sorted. (no drivers for my Audigy 2 NX, for example. Well,
>> actually, there are drivers, they just don't work correctly.) First time
>> x64 users are going to have a steep learning curve, and we should be
>> prepared to help them.
>>
>> Compatibility with various apps is roughly the same as in XP x64, with
>> the exception of anything that interacts with IE. For IE, we have a whole
>> new layer of incompatibility, sadly.
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
>> "Tony Sperling" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Is there really a 1GB difference between the 32 and the 64 bit versions?
>>>

>>> Tony. . .
>>>

>>> "Andre Da Costa [ActiveWin]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Tony Sperling

Charlie,

The download is complete - the download page mentions a support page from
where to register and get a product key, but no such option is there. I
never installed the Beta (well I did, but that was just for a day) and I no
longer have the original e-mails.

Tony. . .

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yes, RC1 is the first really usable build I've seen so far. I've still got
> some issues, and I still feel some pain. But it's manageable.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
> "Jane C" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> 64 bit driver issues? What are they?
>> Although not perfect, RC1 is greatly improved over Beta 2. Shaping up
>> well indeed
>>

>> --
>> Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled
>> Batteries not included. Braincell on vacation
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Yes.
>>>
>>> The good news is, I've had this on my Ferrari for 6 days now, and I'm
>>> using it for 85-95% of my work. I have booted over to XP x64 an average
>>> of once every other day for something specific, and then booted back.
>>> It's a solid release.
>>>
>>> The bad news is it's still a resource hog and the driver issues are
>>> still significant. Anyone who has already solved the XP x64 driver
>>> issues is likely to be mostly OK, though there are a few gotchas that
>>> are still getting sorted. (no drivers for my Audigy 2 NX, for example.
>>> Well, actually, there are drivers, they just don't work correctly.)
>>> First time x64 users are going to have a steep learning curve, and we
>>> should be prepared to help them.
>>>
>>> Compatibility with various apps is roughly the same as in XP x64, with
>>> the exception of anything that interacts with IE. For IE, we have a
>>> whole new layer of incompatibility, sadly.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Charlie.
>>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
>>> "Tony Sperling" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Colin Barnhorst

The CPP page also says that "If you are not registered but would like to
receive Windows Vista RC1, the CPP will open to new participants in the
coming weeks. Please check this site periodically for updates."

Note "in the coming weeks."

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Charlie,
>
> The download is complete - the download page mentions a support page from
> where to register and get a product key, but no such option is there. I
> never installed the Beta (well I did, but that was just for a day) and I
> no longer have the original e-mails.
>

> Tony. . .

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Yes, RC1 is the first really usable build I've seen so far. I've still
>> got some issues, and I still feel some pain. But it's manageable.
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
>> "Jane C" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> 64 bit driver issues? What are they?
>>> Although not perfect, RC1 is greatly improved over Beta 2. Shaping up
>>> well indeed
>>>

>>> --
>>> Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled
>>> Batteries not included. Braincell on vacation
>>> "Charlie Russel - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Colin Barnhorst

But #2 and #3 do not apply to Vista x64. Only Vista x86. Cross platform
upgrades (x86 to x64) will never be supported because of different
requirements for device drivers, etc. Enabling XP x64 to Vista x64 upgrades
are an objective of the Vista Team but whether it will work out remains to
be seen.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> It would appear that different releases have different limitations, this
> one seems to be more forgiving:
> ---snip---
> Installation limitations
> There are three installation scenarios for Windows Vista RC1:
> 1.. You can do a clean installation. This process will overwrite any data
> that you have on your hard disk or on your installation partition. The
> overwritten data will be lost and unrecoverable.
> 2.. You can upgrade an existing installation of Windows XP.
> 3.. You can upgrade an existing installation of Windows Vista Beta 2.
>
> No other installation scenarios are supported. Upgrading to this beta from
> any other edition of Windows requires a clean installation, as described
> in option 1.
>
> ---snip---
>
> This, and more can be seen on the support web site at:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvist...y/preview.mspx
>

> Tony. . .

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> According to the release notes available to TechBeta, this upgrade is not
>> yet supported. You must still use Custom Install for x64.
>>
>> "Larry Hodges" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Will RC1 x64 upgrade from Beta2 x64, or does it require a fresh install?
>>>
>>> -Larry
>>>
>>> "Andre Da Costa [ActiveWin]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Charlie Russel - MVP

Sorry, no help here. The Beta 2 keys are supposed to work, so that was the
solution expected.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Charlie,
>
> The download is complete - the download page mentions a support page from
> where to register and get a product key, but no such option is there. I
> never installed the Beta (well I did, but that was just for a day) and I
> no longer have the original e-mails.
>

> Tony. . .

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Yes, RC1 is the first really usable build I've seen so far. I've still
>> got some issues, and I still feel some pain. But it's manageable.
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
>> "Jane C" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> 64 bit driver issues? What are they?
>>> Although not perfect, RC1 is greatly improved over Beta 2. Shaping up
>>> well indeed
>>>

>>> --
>>> Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled
>>> Batteries not included. Braincell on vacation
>>> "Charlie Russel - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Charlie Russel - MVP

Won't happen. Personal opinion, but the device driver issue is probably the
biggest stumbling block. I just don't see an IPU for XP x64 to Vista x64.