Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Newbie question on XP 64

Newbie question on XP 64

boe

Hello,

I'm pretty familiar with XP 32 but have no real knowledge of XP 64 other
than it exists. I have some newbie questions if you don't mind giving me a
clue (or two).

1 - Although many apps may not be written to take advantage of XP 64 - can
all apps run on XP 64? Are there any that don't?

2. Is there a list of apps that do run better on XP 64?

3. Is there a reason not to get XP 64?

4. Any issue with drivers?

Any other thoughts or suggestions on this would be great!

Thanks!!!

Charlie Russel - MVP

There's a useful whitepaper on the Windows XP 64bit web site that I think
should help you decide:
http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...ght_for_Me.doc

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
"boe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
>
> I'm pretty familiar with XP 32 but have no real knowledge of XP 64 other
> than it exists. I have some newbie questions if you don't mind giving me
> a clue (or two).
>
> 1 - Although many apps may not be written to take advantage of XP 64 - can
> all apps run on XP 64? Are there any that don't?
>
> 2. Is there a list of apps that do run better on XP 64?
>
> 3. Is there a reason not to get XP 64?
>
> 4. Any issue with drivers?
>

> Any other thoughts or suggestions on this would be great!
>

> Thanks!!!

Andre Da Costa [ActiveWin]

Hi Boe, answers inline:

1 - Although many apps may not be written to take advantage of XP 64 - can
all apps run on XP 64? Are there any that don't?
***Most 32 bit applications run just fine on Windows x64, except for those
that utilize 16 bit installers and uninstallers and 16 bit applications in
general.

2. Is there a list of apps that do run better on XP 64?
***I wouldn't say there is a list, the majority of most 32 bit applications
run just the same on XP x64, based on my experience. I have not seen any
significant departure for load times in apps like Photoshop 7, Office 2003.
Hopefully future applications will be written to take advantage of the
64-bit address space, possibly we will see it first only in scientific and
industrial applications.

3. Is there a reason not to get XP 64?
***For the most part, compatibility with legacy applications that are 16 bit
and hardware devices that are not 64 bit native. Also, are you taking
advantage of the raw power of the 64 bit platform, 128 GBs of Physical
memory, running scientific, industrial applications? But at the same time,
you can run it just like any other edition of Windows XP without a hitch,
Office runs just fine on it, surfing the web, some of the basic functions
most home users do on a PC works just fine.

4. Any issue with drivers?
***Yes, if they are not 64 bit native, over 15 months, most manufacturers
continue to release drivers that have 64 bit native support. Just make sure
you check with manufacturer of any device you cannot work without, such as
Scanners, Printers etc.

Please make sure you check out Charlie Russel [MVP] article about the
benefits of 64-bit Windows:
http://download.microsoft.com/.../Is...ght_for_Me.doc
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...el_x64faq.mspx
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...loringx64.mspx
--
http://adacosta.spaces.live.com
"boe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
>
> I'm pretty familiar with XP 32 but have no real knowledge of XP 64 other
> than it exists. I have some newbie questions if you don't mind giving me
> a clue (or two).
>
> 1 - Although many apps may not be written to take advantage of XP 64 - can
> all apps run on XP 64? Are there any that don't?
>
> 2. Is there a list of apps that do run better on XP 64?
>
> 3. Is there a reason not to get XP 64?
>
> 4. Any issue with drivers?
>

> Any other thoughts or suggestions on this would be great!
>

> Thanks!!!

Colin Barnhorst

1. Apps that use a driver must have a 64bit driver. Such apps that don't
have a 64bit driver yet will not work. 16bit apps will not run. 32bit apps
that use a 16bit driver will not install although they would run otherwise.

2. PlanetAMD64 is a good reference site for app compat.

3. Yes. Peripherals and devices that require drivers must have 64bit
drivers or they will not work under x64. Consult the websites of the
manufacturer of your peripherals for x64 drivers. If you have mostly legacy
peripherals and devices you may not be able to use some of them.

4. Yes, as you can see from the above. In x64 its all about the drivers.

Now, why do you want to use x64? What is it you want to do that you cannot
already do with x86? x64 is not an upgrade to x86. It is just an
alternative to x86 for those whose work is pushing the resources provided
under x86.

Charlie Russel, who doubtless will be along to clean up my answers has a
neat webcast you should see:
http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?id=909753

and, of course, his whitepaper:
http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...ght_for_Me.doc

"boe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
>
> I'm pretty familiar with XP 32 but have no real knowledge of XP 64 other
> than it exists. I have some newbie questions if you don't mind giving me
> a clue (or two).
>
> 1 - Although many apps may not be written to take advantage of XP 64 - can
> all apps run on XP 64? Are there any that don't?
>
> 2. Is there a list of apps that do run better on XP 64?
>
> 3. Is there a reason not to get XP 64?
>
> 4. Any issue with drivers?
>

> Any other thoughts or suggestions on this would be great!
>

> Thanks!!!

Charlie Russel - MVP

No need to clean them up, and I had already posted >10 minutes ahead of you.

<g>

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
news:u85%(E-Mail Removed)...
> 1. Apps that use a driver must have a 64bit driver. Such apps that don't
> have a 64bit driver yet will not work. 16bit apps will not run. 32bit
> apps that use a 16bit driver will not install although they would run
> otherwise.
>
> 2. PlanetAMD64 is a good reference site for app compat.
>
> 3. Yes. Peripherals and devices that require drivers must have 64bit
> drivers or they will not work under x64. Consult the websites of the
> manufacturer of your peripherals for x64 drivers. If you have mostly
> legacy peripherals and devices you may not be able to use some of them.
>
> 4. Yes, as you can see from the above. In x64 its all about the drivers.
>
> Now, why do you want to use x64? What is it you want to do that you
> cannot already do with x86? x64 is not an upgrade to x86. It is just an
> alternative to x86 for those whose work is pushing the resources provided
> under x86.
>
> Charlie Russel, who doubtless will be along to clean up my answers has
> a neat webcast you should see:
> http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?id=909753
>
> and, of course, his whitepaper:
> http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...ght_for_Me.doc
>

> "boe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm pretty familiar with XP 32 but have no real knowledge of XP 64 other
>> than it exists. I have some newbie questions if you don't mind giving
>> me a clue (or two).
>>
>> 1 - Although many apps may not be written to take advantage of XP 64 -
>> can all apps run on XP 64? Are there any that don't?
>>
>> 2. Is there a list of apps that do run better on XP 64?
>>
>> 3. Is there a reason not to get XP 64?
>>
>> 4. Any issue with drivers?
>>

>> Any other thoughts or suggestions on this would be great!
>>

>> Thanks!!!

boe

Thanks for the info

news(E-Mail Removed)...
> There's a useful whitepaper on the Windows XP 64bit web site that I think
> should help you decide:
> http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...ght_for_Me.doc
>

> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
> "boe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm pretty familiar with XP 32 but have no real knowledge of XP 64 other
>> than it exists. I have some newbie questions if you don't mind giving
>> me a clue (or two).
>>
>> 1 - Although many apps may not be written to take advantage of XP 64 -
>> can all apps run on XP 64? Are there any that don't?
>>
>> 2. Is there a list of apps that do run better on XP 64?
>>
>> 3. Is there a reason not to get XP 64?
>>
>> 4. Any issue with drivers?
>>

>> Any other thoughts or suggestions on this would be great!
>>

>> Thanks!!!

boe

I appreciate it

"Andre Da Costa [ActiveWin]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Boe, answers inline:
>
> 1 - Although many apps may not be written to take advantage of XP 64 - can
> all apps run on XP 64? Are there any that don't?
> ***Most 32 bit applications run just fine on Windows x64, except for those
> that utilize 16 bit installers and uninstallers and 16 bit applications in
> general.
>
> 2. Is there a list of apps that do run better on XP 64?
> ***I wouldn't say there is a list, the majority of most 32 bit
> applications run just the same on XP x64, based on my experience. I have
> not seen any significant departure for load times in apps like Photoshop
> 7, Office 2003. Hopefully future applications will be written to take
> advantage of the 64-bit address space, possibly we will see it first only
> in scientific and industrial applications.
>
> 3. Is there a reason not to get XP 64?
> ***For the most part, compatibility with legacy applications that are 16
> bit and hardware devices that are not 64 bit native. Also, are you taking
> advantage of the raw power of the 64 bit platform, 128 GBs of Physical
> memory, running scientific, industrial applications? But at the same time,
> you can run it just like any other edition of Windows XP without a hitch,
> Office runs just fine on it, surfing the web, some of the basic functions
> most home users do on a PC works just fine.
>
> 4. Any issue with drivers?
> ***Yes, if they are not 64 bit native, over 15 months, most manufacturers
> continue to release drivers that have 64 bit native support. Just make
> sure you check with manufacturer of any device you cannot work without,
> such as Scanners, Printers etc.
>
> Please make sure you check out Charlie Russel [MVP] article about the
> benefits of 64-bit Windows:
> http://download.microsoft.com/.../Is...ght_for_Me.doc
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...el_x64faq.mspx
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...loringx64.mspx
> --
> http://adacosta.spaces.live.com
> "boe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm pretty familiar with XP 32 but have no real knowledge of XP 64 other
>> than it exists. I have some newbie questions if you don't mind giving
>> me a clue (or two).
>>
>> 1 - Although many apps may not be written to take advantage of XP 64 -
>> can all apps run on XP 64? Are there any that don't?
>>
>> 2. Is there a list of apps that do run better on XP 64?
>>
>> 3. Is there a reason not to get XP 64?
>>
>> 4. Any issue with drivers?
>>

>> Any other thoughts or suggestions on this would be great!
>>

>> Thanks!!!

boe

This is very helpful

news:u85%(E-Mail Removed)...
> 1. Apps that use a driver must have a 64bit driver. Such apps that don't
> have a 64bit driver yet will not work. 16bit apps will not run. 32bit
> apps that use a 16bit driver will not install although they would run
> otherwise.
>
> 2. PlanetAMD64 is a good reference site for app compat.
>
> 3. Yes. Peripherals and devices that require drivers must have 64bit
> drivers or they will not work under x64. Consult the websites of the
> manufacturer of your peripherals for x64 drivers. If you have mostly
> legacy peripherals and devices you may not be able to use some of them.
>
> 4. Yes, as you can see from the above. In x64 its all about the drivers.
>
> Now, why do you want to use x64? What is it you want to do that you
> cannot already do with x86? x64 is not an upgrade to x86. It is just an
> alternative to x86 for those whose work is pushing the resources provided
> under x86.
>
> Charlie Russel, who doubtless will be along to clean up my answers has
> a neat webcast you should see:
> http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?id=909753
>
> and, of course, his whitepaper:
> http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...ght_for_Me.doc
>

> "boe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm pretty familiar with XP 32 but have no real knowledge of XP 64 other
>> than it exists. I have some newbie questions if you don't mind giving
>> me a clue (or two).
>>
>> 1 - Although many apps may not be written to take advantage of XP 64 -
>> can all apps run on XP 64? Are there any that don't?
>>
>> 2. Is there a list of apps that do run better on XP 64?
>>
>> 3. Is there a reason not to get XP 64?
>>
>> 4. Any issue with drivers?
>>

>> Any other thoughts or suggestions on this would be great!
>>

>> Thanks!!!

Andre Da Costa [ActiveWin]

Charlies article is a good read and covers the bases.
--
http://adacosta.spaces.live.com
"boe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I appreciate it
>
> "Andre Da Costa [ActiveWin]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi Boe, answers inline:
>>
>> 1 - Although many apps may not be written to take advantage of XP 64 -
>> can
>> all apps run on XP 64? Are there any that don't?
>> ***Most 32 bit applications run just fine on Windows x64, except for
>> those that utilize 16 bit installers and uninstallers and 16 bit
>> applications in general.
>>
>> 2. Is there a list of apps that do run better on XP 64?
>> ***I wouldn't say there is a list, the majority of most 32 bit
>> applications run just the same on XP x64, based on my experience. I have
>> not seen any significant departure for load times in apps like Photoshop
>> 7, Office 2003. Hopefully future applications will be written to take
>> advantage of the 64-bit address space, possibly we will see it first only
>> in scientific and industrial applications.
>>
>> 3. Is there a reason not to get XP 64?
>> ***For the most part, compatibility with legacy applications that are 16
>> bit and hardware devices that are not 64 bit native. Also, are you taking
>> advantage of the raw power of the 64 bit platform, 128 GBs of Physical
>> memory, running scientific, industrial applications? But at the same
>> time, you can run it just like any other edition of Windows XP without a
>> hitch, Office runs just fine on it, surfing the web, some of the basic
>> functions most home users do on a PC works just fine.
>>
>> 4. Any issue with drivers?
>> ***Yes, if they are not 64 bit native, over 15 months, most manufacturers
>> continue to release drivers that have 64 bit native support. Just make
>> sure you check with manufacturer of any device you cannot work without,
>> such as Scanners, Printers etc.
>>
>> Please make sure you check out Charlie Russel [MVP] article about the
>> benefits of 64-bit Windows:
>> http://download.microsoft.com/.../Is...ght_for_Me.doc
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...el_x64faq.mspx
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...loringx64.mspx
>> --
>> http://adacosta.spaces.live.com
>> "boe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I'm pretty familiar with XP 32 but have no real knowledge of XP 64 other
>>> than it exists. I have some newbie questions if you don't mind giving
>>> me a clue (or two).
>>>
>>> 1 - Although many apps may not be written to take advantage of XP 64 -
>>> can all apps run on XP 64? Are there any that don't?
>>>
>>> 2. Is there a list of apps that do run better on XP 64?
>>>
>>> 3. Is there a reason not to get XP 64?
>>>
>>> 4. Any issue with drivers?
>>>

>>> Any other thoughts or suggestions on this would be great!
>>>

>>> Thanks!!!

Nut Cracker

Charlie,

You might want to put together a starter-faq and post it every week so that
noob's, like myself, will have a nice place to start. lots of other usenet
groups do that and I have found it to be very helpful.

or, perhaps just date it a month in advance so it always stays at the top of
the list. then it would only have to be posted once a month.

- NuTs

news(E-Mail Removed)...