Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > People on the move

People on the move

Andre Da Costa [ActiveWin]

Colin, you forgot Fiji, although it has only been confirmed by Microsoft
Partners.
--
http://adacosta.spaces.live.com
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The Vista relevant newsgroups are listed in the Vista Help and
> Support/Community page. This is the newsgroup listed for 64bit issues.
> This is the newsgroup for Windows 64bit computing, whether XP or Vista or,
> further in the future, Windows Codename Vienna.
>
> We all got used to this being a Win XP Pro x64 ng because XP Pro x64 (and
> Server 2003 x64) was all there was in Windows 64bit computing. We asked
> MS to let us continue that way but we were given a policy clarification
> that 64bit computing issues are platform agnostic and MS would not create
> any other newsgroups specific to 64bits. Of course they then created
> Vista x64 ng's in French and German, but hey, that's MS.

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Sooner or later, many of us will be moving to Vista x64.
>> Charlie, Andre, Tony, Jud, Colin and many others will surely jump into
>> the
>> Vista bandwagon.
>> My question is: Which newsgroup are we gonna hang around for Vista x64?
>> This one, the "Vista general"?
>> I'd like to stay here but will move gladly to the neighbourhood chosen by
>> the majority.
>> Carlos

Andre Da Costa [ActiveWin]

It looks like most of the problem animals have been sedated.
--
http://adacosta.spaces.live.com
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> If only because the main Vista newsgroups will be a zoo.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
> "Steve Foster [SBS MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Carlos wrote:
>>
>>>Sooner or later, many of us will be moving to Vista x64.
>>>Charlie, Andre, Tony, Jud, Colin and many others will surely jump into
>>>the
>>>Vista bandwagon.
>>>My question is: Which newsgroup are we gonna hang around for Vista x64?
>>>This one, the "Vista general"?
>>>I'd like to stay here but will move gladly to the neighbourhood chosen by
>>>the majority.

>> I reckon this group will remain the best place for x64 questions.
>>
>> --
>> Steve Foster [SBS MVP]
>> ---------------------------------------
>> MVPs do not work for Microsoft. Please reply only to the newsgroups.

Charlie Russel - MVP

<g>

Hardly. Which is why I fought so hard to get this NG. But Vista has some
significant differences, not the least of which is that the logo program
requires x64 support. And that Vista itself is really going to be pushing
folks to new hardware, much of which will be 64bit capable. With the retail
box of Vista having both DVDs in it, we'll see more and more folks in the
64bit environment. This will force the OEMs to provide 64bit support or see
their business take a big hit.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
"Maratonmannen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Right, since there are almost no issues with XP x64.
>
> --
> Asus P5WDG2 WS Pro (i975X Express)
> Core 2 Extreme X6800
> RAPTOR 2x150 GB RAID 0 (ICH7R)
> 4GB DDR2 800MHz
> GeForce 7800GTX (91.47)
> Samsung 24"
> Enermax 660W 35A@+12V
> LAN 100/100
>

> "Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:
>
>> I really think that most of what we'll be seeing, a year from now, will
>> be
>> vista issues, not x64 issues.
>>
>> --
>> Charlie

Charlie Russel - MVP

which is why I'm not there.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
news:eMyZ$(E-Mail Removed)...
> That's no different from windowsxp.general today.

> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>> If only because the main Vista newsgroups will be a zoo.
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
>> "Steve Foster [SBS MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> I reckon this group will remain the best place for x64 questions.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Steve Foster [SBS MVP]
>>> ---------------------------------------
>>> MVPs do not work for Microsoft. Please reply only to the newsgroups.

Barb Bowman

I think we will see the "driver" issue for longer than a year. We
know that there will be a long long list of unsupported hardware
components and as folks gradually install 64 bi vista and start
looking for a driver for____ --

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP

Andre Da Costa [ActiveWin]

Interesting Charlie, are you saying the Vista packaging will contain both
x86 and x64 disk?
--
http://adacosta.spaces.live.com
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> <g>
>
> Hardly. Which is why I fought so hard to get this NG. But Vista has some
> significant differences, not the least of which is that the logo program
> requires x64 support. And that Vista itself is really going to be pushing
> folks to new hardware, much of which will be 64bit capable. With the
> retail box of Vista having both DVDs in it, we'll see more and more folks
> in the 64bit environment. This will force the OEMs to provide 64bit
> support or see their business take a big hit.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
> "Maratonmannen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Right, since there are almost no issues with XP x64.
>>
>> --
>> Asus P5WDG2 WS Pro (i975X Express)
>> Core 2 Extreme X6800
>> RAPTOR 2x150 GB RAID 0 (ICH7R)
>> 4GB DDR2 800MHz
>> GeForce 7800GTX (91.47)
>> Samsung 24"
>> Enermax 660W 35A@+12V
>> LAN 100/100
>>

>> "Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:
>>
>>> I really think that most of what we'll be seeing, a year from now, will
>>> be
>>> vista issues, not x64 issues.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Charlie

Zapper

Yep, that is the plan of record.

<DIV>&quot;Andre Da Costa [ActiveWin]&quot; &lt;(E-Mail Removed)&gt;
wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...</DIV>>
Interesting Charlie, are you saying the Vista packaging will contain both
> x86 and x64 disk?
> --
> http://adacosta.spaces.live.com
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> <g>
>>
>> Hardly. Which is why I fought so hard to get this NG. But Vista has some
>> significant differences, not the least of which is that the logo program
>> requires x64 support. And that Vista itself is really going to be pushing
>> folks to new hardware, much of which will be 64bit capable. With the
>> retail box of Vista having both DVDs in it, we'll see more and more folks
>> in the 64bit environment. This will force the OEMs to provide 64bit
>> support or see their business take a big hit.
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
>> "Maratonmannen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Right, since there are almost no issues with XP x64.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Asus P5WDG2 WS Pro (i975X Express)
>>> Core 2 Extreme X6800
>>> RAPTOR 2x150 GB RAID 0 (ICH7R)
>>> 4GB DDR2 800MHz
>>> GeForce 7800GTX (91.47)
>>> Samsung 24"
>>> Enermax 660W 35A@+12V
>>> LAN 100/100

=?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=

Then I guess I'll just stay here with my cool English speaking buddies.
There's a Spanish Vista NG but it ain't x64.
Carlos

"Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

> The Vista relevant newsgroups are listed in the Vista Help and
> Support/Community page. This is the newsgroup listed for 64bit issues.
> This is the newsgroup for Windows 64bit computing, whether XP or Vista or,
> further in the future, Windows Codename Vienna.
>
> We all got used to this being a Win XP Pro x64 ng because XP Pro x64 (and
> Server 2003 x64) was all there was in Windows 64bit computing. We asked MS
> to let us continue that way but we were given a policy clarification that
> 64bit computing issues are platform agnostic and MS would not create any
> other newsgroups specific to 64bits. Of course they then created Vista x64
> ng's in French and German, but hey, that's MS.

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Sooner or later, many of us will be moving to Vista x64.
> > Charlie, Andre, Tony, Jud, Colin and many others will surely jump into the
> > Vista bandwagon.
> > My question is: Which newsgroup are we gonna hang around for Vista x64?
> > This one, the "Vista general"?
> > I'd like to stay here but will move gladly to the neighbourhood chosen by
> > the majority.
> > Carlos

Colin Barnhorst

It will be if you post there a while.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Then I guess I'll just stay here with my cool English speaking buddies.
> There's a Spanish Vista NG but it ain't x64.
> Carlos
>
> "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
>
>> The Vista relevant newsgroups are listed in the Vista Help and
>> Support/Community page. This is the newsgroup listed for 64bit issues.
>> This is the newsgroup for Windows 64bit computing, whether XP or Vista
>> or,
>> further in the future, Windows Codename Vienna.
>>
>> We all got used to this being a Win XP Pro x64 ng because XP Pro x64 (and
>> Server 2003 x64) was all there was in Windows 64bit computing. We asked
>> MS
>> to let us continue that way but we were given a policy clarification that
>> 64bit computing issues are platform agnostic and MS would not create any
>> other newsgroups specific to 64bits. Of course they then created Vista
>> x64
>> ng's in French and German, but hey, that's MS.

>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Sooner or later, many of us will be moving to Vista x64.
>> > Charlie, Andre, Tony, Jud, Colin and many others will surely jump into
>> > the
>> > Vista bandwagon.
>> > My question is: Which newsgroup are we gonna hang around for Vista x64?
>> > This one, the "Vista general"?
>> > I'd like to stay here but will move gladly to the neighbourhood chosen
>> > by
>> > the majority.
>> > Carlos

Charlie Russel - MVP

That is my understanding, yes. And I know they use the same key.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
news(E-Mail Removed)...