Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Windows could not load the installer for display error

Windows could not load the installer for display error

=?Utf-8?B?VGhpbms=?=

I cannot install drivers for my video card without this error occuring.

Product:

Intel 955EE
4G of RAM
Asus P5WDG2WS motherboard
ATI x1900xtx video card
2 Seagate Cheetahs 15K SCSI RAID 0

Tried:

Unistalled drivers
Ran drivercleaner pro
Ran registry cleaner as well
Ran ccleaner

(safe mode as well)

Reinstalled Netframe 2.0 (x64)
Reinstalled chip drivers
Reinstalled Dirctx 9
Reinstalled video drivers ( 2 differenct versions )

Same error all the time.

Tried to roll back the drivers in Device Manage/Drivers with no luck and as
a matter of fact, when I try to go to video devices/properties, the error
appears but then I press OK and I can still get in.

your creator

what SP do you have? you may need to update your windows installer

Think wrote:
> I cannot install drivers for my video card without this error occuring.
>
> Product:
>
> Intel 955EE
> 4G of RAM
> Asus P5WDG2WS motherboard
> ATI x1900xtx video card
> 2 Seagate Cheetahs 15K SCSI RAID 0
>
> Tried:
>
> Unistalled drivers
> Ran drivercleaner pro
> Ran registry cleaner as well
> Ran ccleaner
>
> (safe mode as well)
>
> Reinstalled Netframe 2.0 (x64)
> Reinstalled chip drivers
> Reinstalled Dirctx 9
> Reinstalled video drivers ( 2 differenct versions )
>
> Same error all the time.
>
> Tried to roll back the drivers in Device Manage/Drivers with no luck and as
> a matter of fact, when I try to go to video devices/properties, the error
> appears but then I press OK and I can still get in.

Charlie Russel - MVP

Is this XP x64?
What error message do you get?
What sequence are you following?
What is the source/version of the driver you're trying to install?

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
"Think" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
>I cannot install drivers for my video card without this error occuring.
>
> Product:
>
> Intel 955EE
> 4G of RAM
> Asus P5WDG2WS motherboard
> ATI x1900xtx video card
> 2 Seagate Cheetahs 15K SCSI RAID 0
>
> Tried:
>
> Unistalled drivers
> Ran drivercleaner pro
> Ran registry cleaner as well
> Ran ccleaner
>
> (safe mode as well)
>
> Reinstalled Netframe 2.0 (x64)
> Reinstalled chip drivers
> Reinstalled Dirctx 9
> Reinstalled video drivers ( 2 differenct versions )
>
> Same error all the time.
>
> Tried to roll back the drivers in Device Manage/Drivers with no luck and
> as
> a matter of fact, when I try to go to video devices/properties, the error
> appears but then I press OK and I can still get in.

=?Utf-8?B?VGhpbms=?=

xp 64 SP1..all updates were done.

"your creator" wrote:

> what SP do you have? you may need to update your windows installer
>
> Think wrote:
> > I cannot install drivers for my video card without this error occuring.
> >
> > Product:
> >
> > Intel 955EE
> > 4G of RAM
> > Asus P5WDG2WS motherboard
> > ATI x1900xtx video card
> > 2 Seagate Cheetahs 15K SCSI RAID 0
> >
> > Tried:
> >
> > Unistalled drivers
> > Ran drivercleaner pro
> > Ran registry cleaner as well
> > Ran ccleaner
> >
> > (safe mode as well)
> >
> > Reinstalled Netframe 2.0 (x64)
> > Reinstalled chip drivers
> > Reinstalled Dirctx 9
> > Reinstalled video drivers ( 2 differenct versions )
> >
> > Same error all the time.
> >
> > Tried to roll back the drivers in Device Manage/Drivers with no luck and as
> > a matter of fact, when I try to go to video devices/properties, the error
> > appears but then I press OK and I can still get in.

=?Utf-8?B?VGhpbms=?=

Yes, this is xp x64 SP1 with full updates
The error message that I am recieving is Device installer error. "Windows
could not load the installer for Display. Contact your hardware vendor for
assistance."

In Device Manager/Video Controller/General it indicates "This device is not
configured correctly. (Code 1).To reinstall the drivers for this device,
click Reinstall Driver."

I am using the latest ATI Radeon Catalyst 6.8 Drivers from www.ati.com for
xp 64.

To reiterate, I removed the old video drivers and cleaned out any remnants
of it using a program called DriverCleanerPro. I also ran CCleaner to be safe
in removing any registries that remained. I did this in Safe mode as well.
When I tried to install my video drivers ( even the older version ) I recieve
this error. This all started because I removed my old video card and
installed a new one.

To try to resolve this problem, I reinstalled Directx9 as well as Microsoft
Netframework 2.0 that my video card requires.

I also noticed an exclamation mark in Device Manager/Video Controller but
also noticed another excalamation mark in Audio Devices and tried to remove
and reinstall those drivers as well WITH THE SAME ERROR?!?.

I'm not sure which log files I can cut and past here so if you can direct me
to that location, I will post that as well.

Thank you

"Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:

> Is this XP x64?
> What error message do you get?
> What sequence are you following?
> What is the source/version of the driver you're trying to install?
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
> "Think" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I cannot install drivers for my video card without this error occuring.
> >
> > Product:
> >
> > Intel 955EE
> > 4G of RAM
> > Asus P5WDG2WS motherboard
> > ATI x1900xtx video card
> > 2 Seagate Cheetahs 15K SCSI RAID 0
> >
> > Tried:
> >
> > Unistalled drivers
> > Ran drivercleaner pro
> > Ran registry cleaner as well
> > Ran ccleaner
> >
> > (safe mode as well)
> >
> > Reinstalled Netframe 2.0 (x64)
> > Reinstalled chip drivers
> > Reinstalled Dirctx 9
> > Reinstalled video drivers ( 2 differenct versions )
> >
> > Same error all the time.
> >
> > Tried to roll back the drivers in Device Manage/Drivers with no luck and
> > as
> > a matter of fact, when I try to go to video devices/properties, the error
> > appears but then I press OK and I can still get in.

Charlie Russel - MVP

OK. I'm going to speculate here, since I'm not sitting at your machine. But
I strongly suspect that your use of registry and driver "cleaner" programs
is the root cause of the errors. Especially since you're seeing them in more
than one area.

What you've ended up with is something completely indeterminant. Who knows
what is and isn't there, and what has been done to it. I STRONGLY discourage
the use of automated registry cleaners - they do NO good, and can often do
very bad things indeed.

Given where you're at, my suggestion would be to do a "repair install" of
Windows XP x64 Edition. Then, before you do ANYTHING else, connect to
Windows Update or Microsoft Update and immediately re-apply all available
patches and updates.

Then, and only then, should you attempt to re-install the ATI drivers. And
you do not need to remove any other drivers that may be installed first. The
ATI installer should handle them quite well, and if there are problems,
there are safer and easier ways to resolve them.

--
> [...]
>> > 4G of RAM
>> > Asus P5WDG2WS motherboard
>> > ATI x1900xtx video card
>> > 2 Seagate Cheetahs 15K SCSI RAID 0
>> >
>> > Tried:
>> >
>> > Unistalled drivers
>> > Ran drivercleaner pro
>> > Ran registry cleaner as well
>> > Ran ccleaner
>> >
>> > (safe mode as well)
>> >
>> > Reinstalled Netframe 2.0 (x64)
>> > Reinstalled chip drivers
>> > Reinstalled Dirctx 9
>> > Reinstalled video drivers ( 2 differenct versions )
>> >
>> > Same error all the time.
>> >
>> > Tried to roll back the drivers in Device Manage/Drivers with no luck
>> > and
>> > as
>> > a matter of fact, when I try to go to video devices/properties, the
>> > error
>> > appears but then I press OK and I can still get in.

Thank you Charlie Russel. I suspected as much and will do a repair - just
needed an expert opinion to re-assure myself that by doing an xp repair was
not overkill.

Thanks.
"Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:

> [...]
> > Netframework 2.0 that my video card requires.
> >
> > I also noticed an exclamation mark in Device Manager/Video Controller but
> > also noticed another excalamation mark in Audio Devices and tried to
> > remove
> > and reinstall those drivers as well WITH THE SAME ERROR?!?.
> >
> > I'm not sure which log files I can cut and past here so if you can direct
> > me
> > to that location, I will post that as well.
> >
> > Thank you
> >

> > "Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:
> >
> >> Is this XP x64?
> >> What error message do you get?
> >> What sequence are you following?
> >> What is the source/version of the driver you're trying to install?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Charlie.
> >> http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
> >> "Think" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello,
I agree with Charlie it's hard to tell where the state of this system is
after the use of automated registry cleaners.
This error can occur if the desk.cpl is missing or substituted with another
similar cpl file or the registry entries pointing to it is not present, or
corrupted. You may also see this if a dependant dll from a driver was
loaded to add additional tabs (functionality choices) to the desk.cpl
applet.
Now when the desk.cpl tries to load the dlls, they are missing or their
registration information is no longer present in the registry so
installation fails.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

--------------------
<From: "Charlie Russel - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)>
<Subject: Re: Windows could not load the installer for display error
<Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2006 15:28:13 -0700
<Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
<
[...]
<--
<Charlie.
<http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
<"Think" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
<news:(E-Mail Removed)...
<> Yes, this is xp x64 SP1 with full updates
<> The error message that I am recieving is Device installer error. "Windows
<> could not load the installer for Display. Contact your hardware vendor
for
<> assistance."
<>
[...]
<> "Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:
<>
<>> Is this XP x64?
<>> What error message do you get?
<>> What sequence are you following?
<>> What is the source/version of the driver you're trying to install?
<>>
<>> --
<>> Charlie.
<>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
<>> "Think" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
<>> news(E-Mail Removed)...
<>> >I cannot install drivers for my video card without this error occuring.
<>> >
<>> > Product:
<>> >
[...]

Not overkill in this case, for sure. I'm just hoping it will resolve it.

--
> [...]
>> > well.
>> > When I tried to install my video drivers ( even the older version ) I
>> > recieve
>> > this error. This all started because I removed my old video card and
>> > installed a new one.
>> >
>> > To try to resolve this problem, I reinstalled Directx9 as well as
>> > Microsoft
>> > Netframework 2.0 that my video card requires.
>> >
>> > I also noticed an exclamation mark in Device Manager/Video Controller
>> > but
>> > also noticed another excalamation mark in Audio Devices and tried to
>> > remove
>> > and reinstall those drivers as well WITH THE SAME ERROR?!?.
>> >
>> > I'm not sure which log files I can cut and past here so if you can
>> > direct
>> > me
>> > to that location, I will post that as well.

Gee, and Carlos gives me such a hard time because I hate these things.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
news:(E-Mail Removed)...