Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > How much memory can a 32 bit process, program, application use?

How much memory can a 32 bit process, program, application use?

=?Utf-8?B?RGFuIEd1dGE=?=

Hi,

I have a PC with 4 GB memory (RAM). The Windows XP 64 bit can see 3,71 GB.
I am using a 32 bit FEA Program for structural and civil engineering which
needs a lot of memory when it is analysing big models.
When working with Windows XP 32 bit SP1, the program (process) can use
about 1,5 GB of RAM. With Windows XP 32 bit SP2 the program only gets (can
access) about 1,1 GB from the whole amount of memory.
The company which produced the program says, this is a Microsoft problem.
I hoped that Windows XP 64 bit will allow the program to use more memory but
this is not the case. The program only gets about 1,1 GB of memory, the same
as with Windows XP 32 bit.
Is this normal? Is my PC not OK?
What can I do to get more memory for the progran I am using?
Please help!

Charlie Russel - MVP

This is not about Windows or Microsoft, but your application. If you have
4GB of RAM (minus the part you can't see because of PCI BIOS issues), you
should have more than enough to provide sufficient memory for this
application. For a discussion about how memory works in x64 edition,
probably the best starting place is this whitepaper:
http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...ght_for_Me.doc

Depending on how the program was written and compiled, it may be able to
access 2 GB of virtual memory address space, or a full 4 GB of virtual
memory address space. How that memory address space maps to RAM is less
clear in any given system, but for your purposes probably doesn't matter.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
news:(E-Mail Removed)...