Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Spellchecker in OE doesn't work in XP 64-bit

Spellchecker in OE doesn't work in XP 64-bit

Gary S. Terhune

I'm new to 64-bit WinXP, and while I've managed to figure out a lot of
stuff, I can't figure out this one. I've installed Office Pro 2003
(*everything* but Outlook) and it *seems* to be working OK, though I haven't
really done much with it. Spellchecker does work in Office apps, but not in
OE. I've already tried changing Shared Tools\SharedFilesDir from *\Program
Files\* to *\Program Files (x86)\* but that didn't help, and the KB article
that suggests a couple of DLLs might be missing seems inapplicable, since
Office 2003 uses a different set.

I've never had this problem in many other XP or earlier versions of Windows
with Office 2003 installed. I've repaired and reinstalled Office with no
change, but haven't tried anything to "repair" or reinstall OE.

Any ideas? Do I need to install Outlook 2003 or some component thereof? I'd
*really* rather not.

--

Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User

Gary S. Terhune

Oh boy! Thanks, Pa! guess I'm gonna have to continue manual checking. It's
not that I can't spell, it's just that I have really bad typing habitsd
(sic), made even worse by a very sensitive new keyboard. Fortunately, this
really isn't my machine, it's the wife's. (Now that I think about it,
though, maybe that's not so fortunate. She's the kind that doesn't care why
something doesn't work, she just wants it FIXED!!!)

--

Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User

"PA Bear" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi, GAry!
>
> <QP>
> Spell checking is not supported in the 64-bit version of Outlook Express.
> </QP>
> Source:
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro...ifx64.mspx#EXE
>
> Download the whole shebang:
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...2-f5c3a9037e68
>
> cf.
> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...7eeb410203be77
> --
> ~Robear
>

> Gary S. Terhune wrote:
>> I'm new to 64-bit WinXP, and while I've managed to figure out a lot of
>> stuff, I can't figure out this one. I've installed Office Pro 2003
>> (*everything* but Outlook) and it *seems* to be working OK, though I
>> haven't
>> really done much with it. Spellchecker does work in Office apps, but not
>> in
>> OE. I've already tried changing Shared Tools\SharedFilesDir from
>> *\Program
>> Files\* to *\Program Files (x86)\* but that didn't help, and the KB
>> article
>> that suggests a couple of DLLs might be missing seems inapplicable, since
>> Office 2003 uses a different set.
>>
>> I've never had this problem in many other XP or earlier versions of
>> Windows
>> with Office 2003 installed. I've repaired and reinstalled Office with no
>> change, but haven't tried anything to "repair" or reinstall OE.
>>
>> Any ideas? Do I need to install Outlook 2003 or some component thereof?
>> I'd
>> *really* rather not.

Jud Hendrix

On Sun, 3 Sep 2006 13:43:46 -0700, "Gary S. Terhune" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

As an alternative you can use an e-mail client which uses it's own
spellchecker, like Mozilla Thunderbird or Forte Agent, untill this problem
is fixed.

jud

Gary S. Terhune

I considered those and included them in the "possible solutions" discussion
we just had. She's decided to wait for Vista before diving into a new email
app. Gonna wait for Vista RC1 to try on this system (unless I get *really*
bored in the next week or two.) I reserved a partition just for that.

I also suggested Outlook 2003 since it would also provide significant
"client management" features, but she uses Goldmine for that. Now all we
gotta do is find the Goldmine disks that are lost somewhere in the moving
boxes. Those and Quickbooks. No rush. The old computer is working just fine,
and once we gets this one all set up I won't be able to play with it anymore
;<(

--

Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User

"Jud Hendrix" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 3 Sep 2006 13:43:46 -0700, "Gary S. Terhune" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> As an alternative you can use an e-mail client which uses it's own
> spellchecker, like Mozilla Thunderbird or Forte Agent, untill this problem
> is fixed.
>
> jud

Gary S. Terhune

"PA Bear" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> OP in the thread I cited said Tiny Spell kinda/sorta worked. YMMV.
> http://www.megspace.com/computers/tinyspell/

Tried it. OP is right with the kinda/sorta tag. Not really useful to us.

> Things going better with the missus, are they? Good!

Yup. Complicated, but heading in the right direction.

--

Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User

Dennis Pack x64, v64B2 \(5384\), OPP2007B2

Gary:
As you found out from PA Bear OE is 64-bit in x64 and uses the spell
check from Word which is 32-bit which causes a compatibility issue. The work
around that I used was to type my message or reply in Word, use spell check
then cut and paste it to OE. I know that it is a tedious work around but I
got used to doing it at work because the program that I have to use doesn't
have spell check.

"Gary S. Terhune" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "PA Bear" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> OP in the thread I cited said Tiny Spell kinda/sorta worked. YMMV.
>> http://www.megspace.com/computers/tinyspell/

> Tried it. OP is right with the kinda/sorta tag. Not really useful to us.
>
>> Things going better with the missus, are they? Good!

> Yup. Complicated, but heading in the right direction.
>
> --
>
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS-MVP Shell/User

Charlie Russel - MVP

Gary -
As Pa Bear, et al, have pointed out - you can't get there from here. A
little background may help in understanding, however. Office is, as we both
know, a 32-bit application. No problem, it works perfectly well in XP x64,
except for a couple of mostly minor things like the image printer. Outlook
Express in XP x64, however, is a 64-bit application. In order to do spell
checking, OE needs access to the Office spell checker, which is a DLL. The
catch is, of course, that a 64bit application can not call a 32-bit DLL.
Just as a 32-bit application can not call a 64bit DLL. This means that until
there is a 64bit version of the Word spell checker, or some third party
spell checker that can link into 64bit OE, there will not be a spell checker
that works in OE.

The good news is that Windows Mail (the successor to OE) in Vista does
spell checking just fine.

Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

Dennis Pack x64, v64B2 \(5384\), OPP2007B2

Charlie:
Thank you for giving a better explanation than I did.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Gary -
> As Pa Bear, et al, have pointed out - you can't get there from here. A
> little background may help in understanding, however. Office is, as we
> both know, a 32-bit application. No problem, it works perfectly well in XP
> x64, except for a couple of mostly minor things like the image printer.
> Outlook Express in XP x64, however, is a 64-bit application. In order to
> do spell checking, OE needs access to the Office spell checker, which is a
> DLL. The catch is, of course, that a 64bit application can not call a
> 32-bit DLL. Just as a 32-bit application can not call a 64bit DLL. This
> means that until there is a 64bit version of the Word spell checker, or
> some third party spell checker that can link into 64bit OE, there will not
> be a spell checker that works in OE.
>
> The good news is that Windows Mail (the successor to OE) in Vista does
> spell checking just fine.
>
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
>

> "Gary S. Terhune" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I'm new to 64-bit WinXP, and while I've managed to figure out a lot of
>> stuff, I can't figure out this one. I've installed Office Pro 2003
>> (*everything* but Outlook) and it *seems* to be working OK, though I
>> haven't really done much with it. Spellchecker does work in Office apps,
>> but not in OE. I've already tried changing Shared Tools\SharedFilesDir
>> from *\Program Files\* to *\Program Files (x86)\* but that didn't help,
>> and the KB article that suggests a couple of DLLs might be missing seems
>> inapplicable, since Office 2003 uses a different set.
>>
>> I've never had this problem in many other XP or earlier versions of
>> Windows with Office 2003 installed. I've repaired and reinstalled Office
>> with no change, but haven't tried anything to "repair" or reinstall OE.
>>
>> Any ideas? Do I need to install Outlook 2003 or some component thereof?
>> I'd *really* rather not.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Gary S. Terhune
>> MS-MVP Shell/User
>>

> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

Charlie Russel - MVP

No, just longer.

Charlie.

"Dennis Pack x64, v64B2 (5384), OPP2007B2" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> Charlie:
> Thank you for giving a better explanation than I did.

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Gary -
>> As Pa Bear, et al, have pointed out - you can't get there from here. A
>> little background may help in understanding, however. Office is, as we
>> both know, a 32-bit application. No problem, it works perfectly well in
>> XP x64, except for a couple of mostly minor things like the image
>> printer. Outlook Express in XP x64, however, is a 64-bit application. In
>> order to do spell checking, OE needs access to the Office spell checker,
>> which is a DLL. The catch is, of course, that a 64bit application can not
>> call a 32-bit DLL. Just as a 32-bit application can not call a 64bit DLL.
>> This means that until there is a 64bit version of the Word spell checker,
>> or some third party spell checker that can link into 64bit OE, there will
>> not be a spell checker that works in OE.
>>
>> The good news is that Windows Mail (the successor to OE) in Vista does
>> spell checking just fine.
>>
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
>>

>> "Gary S. Terhune" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> I'm new to 64-bit WinXP, and while I've managed to figure out a lot of
>>> stuff, I can't figure out this one. I've installed Office Pro 2003
>>> (*everything* but Outlook) and it *seems* to be working OK, though I
>>> haven't really done much with it. Spellchecker does work in Office apps,
>>> but not in OE. I've already tried changing Shared Tools\SharedFilesDir
>>> from *\Program Files\* to *\Program Files (x86)\* but that didn't help,
>>> and the KB article that suggests a couple of DLLs might be missing seems
>>> inapplicable, since Office 2003 uses a different set.
>>>
>>> I've never had this problem in many other XP or earlier versions of
>>> Windows with Office 2003 installed. I've repaired and reinstalled Office
>>> with no change, but haven't tried anything to "repair" or reinstall OE.
>>>
>>> Any ideas? Do I need to install Outlook 2003 or some component thereof?
>>> I'd *really* rather not.
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> Gary S. Terhune
>>> MS-MVP Shell/User
>>>

>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

Gary S. Terhune

For me, accustomed as I am to composing and sending several dozens of
messages daily (used to be hundreds but I've slacked off in recent years),
such a workaround would indeed be tedious, <s>. But thanks for the
suggestion.

--

Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User

"Dennis Pack x64, v64B2 (5384), OPP2007B2" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> Gary:
> As you found out from PA Bear OE is 64-bit in x64 and uses the
> spell check from Word which is 32-bit which causes a compatibility issue.
> The work around that I used was to type my message or reply in Word, use
> spell check then cut and paste it to OE. I know that it is a tedious work
> around but I got used to doing it at work because the program that I have
> to use doesn't have spell check.

Re: Is my spellchecker going to work? Mike Easter Computer Support 0 10-10-2009 11:49 PM
Spellchecker doesn't work with Outlook Express =?Utf-8?B?TGltZXkgbGFk?= Windows 64bit 7 10-08-2005 07:49 PM
1.7b spellchecker improved! Tono Firefox 9 04-06-2004 04:00 AM
Spellchecker cc Firefox 8 01-29-2004 08:21 PM
Another spellchecker question Tono Firefox 2 08-24-2003 04:14 AM

Advertisments