Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Anytime Upgrade

Anytime Upgrade

Colin Barnhorst

For those of you still trying to decide on what sku of Vista to purchase,
consider a few facts about Anytime Upgrade.

It is only for upgrading from one edition of Vista to another. You cannot
use Anytime Upgrade to upgrade from XP to Vista.

The only upgrades possible are:
HomeBasic to Home Premium
Home Basic to Ultimate
Home Premium to Ultimate
Business to Ultimate

Home Basic and Home Premium may not be upgraded to Business via Anytime
Upgrade.

(Enterprise is not available to the general public and the upgrade from
Business to Enterprise is only available to Software Assurance customers.)

You do not purchase the upgrade certificate from Microsoft. When you access
the Anytime Upgrade website, Anytime Upgrade checks your present edition of
Windows and advises you as to what options are available to you. You select
the option and then you are redirected to a page listing participating
Microsoft Partners (Best Buy, Amazon, etc) and you purchase the upgrade
certificate on the Partner's site.

You must have your Vista dvd to complete the upgrade processing.

It is always more expensive to use Anytime Upgrade to move to a higher
edition of Vista than it is to buy that edition in the first place. For
example, it will cost you more to buy Vista Home Basic and upgrade to Vista
Home Premium than to just buy Premium.

Anytime Upgrade certificates are one-time only and are tied to the computer
for which you purchased the certificate. Even if you purchase a retail
edition of Vista, only that edition can be transferred to another computer.
Example: I purchase Home Premium and install it. I buy an Anytime Upgrade
certificate for Ultimate. Later I buy a new computer and decide to transfer
my Vista to it. I can only transfer the original Home Premium. The upgrade
to Ultimate will not transfer because the way the certificate works it can
only be used on the original computer. It simply won't work on the new one.

The only way to recover an upgraded copy of Vista is with a full system
restore. The upgrade certificate is a one-time thing. If you have to do a
fresh installation of Vista from the dvd the upgrade certificate will not
work a second time.

My advice is to make up your mind what you want before buying Vista and not
get into this type of upgrading. When in doubt, buy up not down. If you
think you might want Ultimate eventually, buy Ultimate up front.

Let the flaming begin.

Tony Sperling

No flaming! This is good solid and sound advice from first to last. Thanks,
Colin!

It's a bit sad - the world needs creativity driven companies, but I am
beginning to think that MS is contemplating shooting themselves in the foot
with their licensing and upgrading labyrinths, that is a prime example of
precisely the sort of creativity that we would do very well without.

There is an old adage, that whichever way you turn, your rear end is behind
you. Now, it turns out that whichever way you buy from Microsoft it will end
up costing you more.

A superficial glance in my crystal ball is telling me: when Vista ships it
will be an anachronism. It will be a great seller, it may even end up
earning Microsoft more revenue than anything else, ever. But in five years
time not many will remember that Microsoft ever existed. Most of those who
will remember, will not remember what it was they was doing, because greater
things are in the works!

I'll remember, though. And for a while, I will miss them for the really
great things they were doing, they helped start a revolution, and over a
short, but intensive, period of time they were the driving force of that
revolution, and then they dissappeared like everything else in evolution.
They have some smart people there, they know this - hence, this labyrinth.

Tony. . .

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> For those of you still trying to decide on what sku of Vista to purchase,
> consider a few facts about Anytime Upgrade.
>
> It is only for upgrading from one edition of Vista to another. You cannot
> use Anytime Upgrade to upgrade from XP to Vista.
>
> The only upgrades possible are:
> HomeBasic to Home Premium
> Home Basic to Ultimate
> Home Premium to Ultimate
> Business to Ultimate
>
> Home Basic and Home Premium may not be upgraded to Business via Anytime
> Upgrade.
>
> (Enterprise is not available to the general public and the upgrade from
> Business to Enterprise is only available to Software Assurance customers.)
>
> You do not purchase the upgrade certificate from Microsoft. When you

access
> the Anytime Upgrade website, Anytime Upgrade checks your present edition

of
> Windows and advises you as to what options are available to you. You

select
> the option and then you are redirected to a page listing participating
> Microsoft Partners (Best Buy, Amazon, etc) and you purchase the upgrade
> certificate on the Partner's site.
>
> You must have your Vista dvd to complete the upgrade processing.
>
> It is always more expensive to use Anytime Upgrade to move to a higher
> edition of Vista than it is to buy that edition in the first place. For
> example, it will cost you more to buy Vista Home Basic and upgrade to

Vista
> Home Premium than to just buy Premium.
>
> Anytime Upgrade certificates are one-time only and are tied to the

computer
> for which you purchased the certificate. Even if you purchase a retail
> edition of Vista, only that edition can be transferred to another

computer.
> Example: I purchase Home Premium and install it. I buy an Anytime

Upgrade
> certificate for Ultimate. Later I buy a new computer and decide to

transfer
> my Vista to it. I can only transfer the original Home Premium. The

upgrade
> to Ultimate will not transfer because the way the certificate works it can
> only be used on the original computer. It simply won't work on the new

one.

> The only way to recover an upgraded copy of Vista is with a full system
> restore. The upgrade certificate is a one-time thing. If you have to do

> fresh installation of Vista from the dvd the upgrade certificate will not
> work a second time.
>
> My advice is to make up your mind what you want before buying Vista and

not
> get into this type of upgrading. When in doubt, buy up not down. If you
> think you might want Ultimate eventually, buy Ultimate up front.
>
> Let the flaming begin.

Zapper

Pass me what he is smoking!!!!!

<DIV>&quot;Tony Sperling&quot; &lt;(E-Mail Removed)&gt; wrote
in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...</DIV>> No flaming!
> [...]

> transfer
>> my Vista to it. I can only transfer the original Home Premium. The

> upgrade
>> to Ultimate will not transfer because the way the certificate works it
>> can
>> only be used on the original computer. It simply won't work on the new

> one.
>>
>> The only way to recover an upgraded copy of Vista is with a full system
>> restore. The upgrade certificate is a one-time thing. If you have to do

>> fresh installation of Vista from the dvd the upgrade certificate will not
>> work a second time.
>>
>> My advice is to make up your mind what you want before buying Vista and

> not
>> get into this type of upgrading. When in doubt, buy up not down. If you
>> think you might want Ultimate eventually, buy Ultimate up front.

Tony Sperling

O.K. - But can you argue with 'evolution'?

Tony. . .

(and, no snicker weed in my smoke!(not anymore))

"Zapper" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]

> > upgrade
> >> to Ultimate will not transfer because the way the certificate works it
> >> can
> >> only be used on the original computer. It simply won't work on the new

> > one.
> >>
> >> The only way to recover an upgraded copy of Vista is with a full system
> >> restore. The upgrade certificate is a one-time thing. If you have to

do
> >> fresh installation of Vista from the dvd the upgrade certificate will

not
> >> work a second time.
> >>
> >> My advice is to make up your mind what you want before buying Vista and

> > not
> >> get into this type of upgrading. When in doubt, buy up not down. If

you
> >> think you might want Ultimate eventually, buy Ultimate up front.

Colin Barnhorst

Ummm....spear good! (grunt)

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> O.K. - But can you argue with 'evolution'?
>

> Tony. . .
>
> (and, no snicker weed in my smoke!(not anymore))
>

> "Zapper" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Pass me what he is smoking!!!!!
>>
>> <DIV>&quot;Tony Sperling&quot; &lt;(E-Mail Removed)&gt;
>> wrote
>> in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...</DIV>> No
>> flaming!
>> This is good solid and sound advice from first to last. Thanks,
>> > Colin!
>> >
>> > It's a bit sad - the world needs creativity driven companies, but I am
>> > beginning to think that MS is contemplating shooting themselves in the
>> > foot
>> > with their licensing and upgrading labyrinths, that is a prime example

> of
>> > precisely the sort of creativity that we would do very well without.
>> >
>> > There is an old adage, that whichever way you turn, your rear end is
>> > behind
>> > you. Now, it turns out that whichever way you buy from Microsoft it
>> > will
>> > end
>> > up costing you more.
>> >
>> > A superficial glance in my crystal ball is telling me: when Vista ships

> it
>> > will be an anachronism. It will be a great seller, it may even end up
>> > earning Microsoft more revenue than anything else, ever. But in five

> years
>> > time not many will remember that Microsoft ever existed. Most of those

> who
>> > will remember, will not remember what it was they was doing, because
>> > greater
>> > things are in the works!
>> >
>> > I'll remember, though. And for a while, I will miss them for the really
>> > great things they were doing, they helped start a revolution, and over
>> > short, but intensive, period of time they were the driving force of
>> > that
>> > revolution, and then they dissappeared like everything else in

> evolution.
>> > They have some smart people there, they know this - hence, this

> labyrinth.
>> >

>> > Tony. . .
>> >

>> > "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(remove)@msn.com> wrote in message
>> > news:%(E-Mail Removed)...

> purchase,

>> > access

> edition
>> > of
>> > select

> For
>> > Vista

>> > computer
>> > computer.
>> > Upgrade
>> > transfer
>> > upgrade
>> > one.

> do

> not

>> > not

> you

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

Your post contradicts some of what I have been told and this page:
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...41b981033.mspx
Among other things, there is no reason to go to a retail store since the
necessary small file will be downloaded to your computer when upgrade is
purchased on line directly from Microsoft.
Additionally that file can be saved for reuse if the computer needs to be
rebuilt.
If desired the disk can also be ordered at time of upgrade sale.

Also see:
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...93bb81033.mspx

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]