Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > MS Support for XP Pro x64 after Vista

MS Support for XP Pro x64 after Vista

=?Utf-8?B?RGVhdGhOQUNhbg==?=

Microsoft hasn't exactly pushed hard to port over its utilities to x64 so
for. Secondly, it is obious that they have not taken the lead with hardware
vendors to ensure that driver support is there also. The XP Pro x64 home
page is surprising short on information such as compatibility. Anyone find a
hardware and software compatibility list on Microsoft's site lately? Is
anyone concerned that support for XP Pro x64 will be virtually non-existant
after Vista comes out? By the way, a good example it no MP 11 beta for XP
Pro x64. Is anyone out there participating in any betas for XP Pro x64?
Microsoft or other?

--
Whenever you think you are having a bad day, just remember it could be you
saying over and over again: "Welcome to MacDonalds, may I take your order

John Barnes

Their support is virtually non-existent now. Why would you think it might
get better when Vista is released, or even between now and then?
Microsoft was one of the last vendors to port their keyboards etc and even
then my keyboard was dropped from support even though relatively new.

"DeathNACan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Microsoft hasn't exactly pushed hard to port over its utilities to x64 so
> for. Secondly, it is obious that they have not taken the lead with
> hardware
> vendors to ensure that driver support is there also. The XP Pro x64 home
> page is surprising short on information such as compatibility. Anyone
> find a
> hardware and software compatibility list on Microsoft's site lately? Is
> anyone concerned that support for XP Pro x64 will be virtually
> non-existant
> after Vista comes out? By the way, a good example it no MP 11 beta for XP
> Pro x64. Is anyone out there participating in any betas for XP Pro x64?
> Microsoft or other?
>

> --
> Whenever you think you are having a bad day, just remember it could be you
> saying over and over again: "Welcome to MacDonalds, may I take your order
> please?"

=?Utf-8?B?RGVhdGhOQUNhbg==?=

That was the point of the thread. Hoping someone could say otherwise.
--

"John Barnes" wrote:

> Their support is virtually non-existent now. Why would you think it might
> get better when Vista is released, or even between now and then?
> Microsoft was one of the last vendors to port their keyboards etc and even
> then my keyboard was dropped from support even though relatively new.
>
> "DeathNACan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Microsoft hasn't exactly pushed hard to port over its utilities to x64 so
> > for. Secondly, it is obious that they have not taken the lead with
> > hardware
> > vendors to ensure that driver support is there also. The XP Pro x64 home
> > page is surprising short on information such as compatibility. Anyone
> > find a
> > hardware and software compatibility list on Microsoft's site lately? Is
> > anyone concerned that support for XP Pro x64 will be virtually
> > non-existant
> > after Vista comes out? By the way, a good example it no MP 11 beta for XP
> > Pro x64. Is anyone out there participating in any betas for XP Pro x64?
> > Microsoft or other?
> >

> > --
> > Whenever you think you are having a bad day, just remember it could be you
> > saying over and over again: "Welcome to MacDonalds, may I take your order
> > please?"

Colin Barnhorst

Yes, I am participating in a beta program for XP Pro x64 Service Pack 2.

It is not true that MS has not worked hard to get hardware vendors to
support x64. But MS can only persuade, they cannot dictate.

Why does MS need a public beta of WMP11 for x64? They think they can
develop WMP11 fine without it. WMP11 x86 and x64 would be feature identical
anyway, so what would they gain?

"DeathNACan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Microsoft hasn't exactly pushed hard to port over its utilities to x64 so
> for. Secondly, it is obious that they have not taken the lead with
> hardware
> vendors to ensure that driver support is there also. The XP Pro x64 home
> page is surprising short on information such as compatibility. Anyone
> find a
> hardware and software compatibility list on Microsoft's site lately? Is
> anyone concerned that support for XP Pro x64 will be virtually
> non-existant
> after Vista comes out? By the way, a good example it no MP 11 beta for XP
> Pro x64. Is anyone out there participating in any betas for XP Pro x64?
> Microsoft or other?
>

> --
> Whenever you think you are having a bad day, just remember it could be you
> saying over and over again: "Welcome to MacDonalds, may I take your order
> please?"

=?Utf-8?B?RGVhdGhOQUNhbg==?=

Dont take this the wrong way but EA learned the hard way the value of public
betas. They have been plagued with problems and patches that create more
problems then they fix. Sound familiar? They finally started going to more
public beta testing. It seem to be working better. Who better to tell you
whats buggy than a very large group of your users? I am simply suggesting
that they could help persuade the major hardware vendors like Logitech to
jump on the xp x64 band wagon.

Read Logitech's x64 forum and you will get an idea of whats going on. Just
remember that the forum has only been up for about four months.

--

"Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

> Yes, I am participating in a beta program for XP Pro x64 Service Pack 2.
>
> It is not true that MS has not worked hard to get hardware vendors to
> support x64. But MS can only persuade, they cannot dictate.
>
> Why does MS need a public beta of WMP11 for x64? They think they can
> develop WMP11 fine without it. WMP11 x86 and x64 would be feature identical
> anyway, so what would they gain?
>
> "DeathNACan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Microsoft hasn't exactly pushed hard to port over its utilities to x64 so
> > for. Secondly, it is obious that they have not taken the lead with
> > hardware
> > vendors to ensure that driver support is there also. The XP Pro x64 home
> > page is surprising short on information such as compatibility. Anyone
> > find a
> > hardware and software compatibility list on Microsoft's site lately? Is
> > anyone concerned that support for XP Pro x64 will be virtually
> > non-existant
> > after Vista comes out? By the way, a good example it no MP 11 beta for XP
> > Pro x64. Is anyone out there participating in any betas for XP Pro x64?
> > Microsoft or other?
> >

> > --
> > Whenever you think you are having a bad day, just remember it could be you
> > saying over and over again: "Welcome to MacDonalds, may I take your order
> > please?"

Colin Barnhorst

The difference between WMP11 for x86 and x64 is only the target of the
compilation. MS does not lack testers to double check the x64 version of
the build. They do want feature and functionality testing and that is
easily done with the much larger x86 user base.

"DeathNACan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Dont take this the wrong way but EA learned the hard way the value of
> public
> betas. They have been plagued with problems and patches that create more
> problems then they fix. Sound familiar? They finally started going to
> more
> public beta testing. It seem to be working better. Who better to tell
> you
> whats buggy than a very large group of your users? I am simply suggesting
> that they could help persuade the major hardware vendors like Logitech to
> jump on the xp x64 band wagon.
>
> Read Logitech's x64 forum and you will get an idea of whats going on.
> Just
> remember that the forum has only been up for about four months.
>

> --
> Whenever you think you are having a bad day, just remember it could be you
> saying over and over again: "Welcome to MacDonalds, may I take your order
> please?"
>

> "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
>
>> Yes, I am participating in a beta program for XP Pro x64 Service Pack 2.
>>
>> It is not true that MS has not worked hard to get hardware vendors to
>> support x64. But MS can only persuade, they cannot dictate.
>>
>> Why does MS need a public beta of WMP11 for x64? They think they can
>> develop WMP11 fine without it. WMP11 x86 and x64 would be feature
>> identical
>> anyway, so what would they gain?
>>
>> "DeathNACan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Microsoft hasn't exactly pushed hard to port over its utilities to x64
>> > so
>> > for. Secondly, it is obious that they have not taken the lead with
>> > hardware
>> > vendors to ensure that driver support is there also. The XP Pro x64
>> > home
>> > page is surprising short on information such as compatibility. Anyone
>> > find a
>> > hardware and software compatibility list on Microsoft's site lately? Is
>> > anyone concerned that support for XP Pro x64 will be virtually
>> > non-existant
>> > after Vista comes out? By the way, a good example it no MP 11 beta for
>> > XP
>> > Pro x64. Is anyone out there participating in any betas for XP Pro
>> > x64?
>> > Microsoft or other?
>> >

>> > --
>> > Whenever you think you are having a bad day, just remember it could be
>> > you
>> > saying over and over again: "Welcome to MacDonalds, may I take your
>> > order
>> > please?"

DP

"DeathNACan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is anyone out there participating in any betas for XP Pro x64?
> Microsoft or other?

What about the beta of 64-bit IE7? Does that count?

John Barnes

Since RC1 was already released, probably not. But at least it shows some
support.

"DP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...

> "DeathNACan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Is anyone out there participating in any betas for XP Pro x64?
>> Microsoft or other?

> What about the beta of 64-bit IE7? Does that count?

Colin Barnhorst

And Windows Defender for x64.

"DP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...

> "DeathNACan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Is anyone out there participating in any betas for XP Pro x64?
>> Microsoft or other?

> What about the beta of 64-bit IE7? Does that count?

Charlie Russel - MVP

And other things we can't discuss.

--
Charlie.