Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Anyone using Intel VT technology on Windows X64?

Anyone using Intel VT technology on Windows X64?

Mark Gillespie

Thinking of having a tinker with Xen on my Core 2 Duo system, see if I can
use a virtualised x64. Wondered if anyone has already tried, any
tips/pitfalls?

Charlie Russel - MVP

using it, but only on VS 2k5R2 SP1. No x64 client support.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

"Mark Gillespie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thinking of having a tinker with Xen on my Core 2 Duo system, see if I can
> use a virtualised x64. Wondered if anyone has already tried, any
> tips/pitfalls?

Mark Gillespie

On Fri, 01 Sep 2006 16:00:54 +0100, Charlie Russel - MVP
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> using it, but only on VS 2k5R2 SP1. No x64 client support.

Was going to use Xen hypervisor, to host x64 XP client, which is is
supposed to support. I don't really fancy having a full blown OS running
Virtual Server underneath, fancy the Xen method.

Colin Barnhorst

What do you mean a "full-blown OS running VS underneath"? That is not how
VT works.

"Mark Gillespie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 01 Sep 2006 16:00:54 +0100, Charlie Russel - MVP
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> using it, but only on VS 2k5R2 SP1. No x64 client support.
>>

> Was going to use Xen hypervisor, to host x64 XP client, which is is
> supposed to support. I don't really fancy having a full blown OS running
> Virtual Server underneath, fancy the Xen method.

Mark Gillespie

On Sat, 02 Sep 2006 01:45:40 +0100, Colin Barnhorst <colinbarharst
<@msn.com>> wrote:

> What do you mean a "full-blown OS running VS underneath"? That is not
> how
> VT works.
>
> "Mark Gillespie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Fri, 01 Sep 2006 16:00:54 +0100, Charlie Russel - MVP
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> using it, but only on VS 2k5R2 SP1. No x64 client support.
>>>

>> Was going to use Xen hypervisor, to host x64 XP client, which is is
>> supposed to support. I don't really fancy having a full blown OS
>> running
>> Virtual Server underneath, fancy the Xen method.

As I understand it, Xen is a hypervisor, a very minimal that runs in ring
0, that allows other OSes to run in a higher ring, with the hypervisor
allowing switching between OSes at will.

Different from running a full blown OS, and using VMWare or VirtualPC to
host other OSes.