Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > I can't find a printer that will work with my 64

Reply
Thread Tools

I can't find a printer that will work with my 64

 
 
=?Utf-8?B?QmV0aA==?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-31-2006
I need a driver so I can install a printer. Any help would be appreciated.
--
Beth
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
i.am.not@home.org
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-01-2006
Beth wrote:
> I need a driver so I can install a printer. Any help would be appreciated.


There are quite a few x64 print drivers in Win
x64 and some are available from vendors. What
specific printer do you have? A make and model
would go a long way in helping someone know what
your requirements are. There is no such thing
as a generic print driver for just any printer -
you need to specifics!
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Charlie Russel - MVP
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-01-2006
Any printer that supports PCL or Postscript, and that is network connected,
will work, even if there isn't an exact driver match. What you do NOT want
is a printer that uses "host based printing". This means that all the
intelligence has been removed from the printer, and it will do absolutely
nothing without the special application that runs on the print server. Yes,
it's cheaper. But really, there are WAY better options both now and in the
future that aren't all that much more expensive and that will work under
virtually any conditions.

I have an old HP 1200 series that I bought long before there was an x64
Edition. It is connected to an inexpensive wireless print server, and
supports both PCL5 and Postscript. I can print to it without issue from the
7 different operating systems I'm running here this week. At least 3 of
which are in beta AND are x64.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

"Beth" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I need a driver so I can install a printer. Any help would be appreciated.
> --
> Beth



 
Reply With Quote
 
Graham
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-01-2006
Beth wrote:
> I need a driver so I can install a printer. Any help would be appreciated.


Brother have been quite good with drivers for x64 (my MFC-420CN has been
able to print and scan ever since I installed x64 a year ago) and
Samsung have finally got drivers from my CLP-550, so there's two I know
work.

As Charlie mentioned, Postscript to a networked printer works too, I've
been using that with the CLP-550 for a year.

Graham.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Tony Sperling
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-01-2006
Good Morning!


Just thought I'd mention this within some context - I can't say if I believe
you would need it at all, but Ghostscript is available in a 64bit Windows
version! Might be usefull for someone in such a situation?


Tony. . .


"Charlie Russel - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Any printer that supports PCL or Postscript, and that is network

connected,
> will work, even if there isn't an exact driver match. What you do NOT want
> is a printer that uses "host based printing". This means that all the
> intelligence has been removed from the printer, and it will do absolutely
> nothing without the special application that runs on the print server.

Yes,
> it's cheaper. But really, there are WAY better options both now and in the
> future that aren't all that much more expensive and that will work under
> virtually any conditions.
>
> I have an old HP 1200 series that I bought long before there was an x64
> Edition. It is connected to an inexpensive wireless print server, and
> supports both PCL5 and Postscript. I can print to it without issue from

the
> 7 different operating systems I'm running here this week. At least 3 of
> which are in beta AND are x64.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>
> "Beth" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I need a driver so I can install a printer. Any help would be

appreciated.
> > --
> > Beth

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
=?Utf-8?B?Q2Fyb2wgU3RlZWxl?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-01-2006
Epson seems to be very good at supplying 64-bit drivers for their printers -
visit the Epson site, select 'Downloads' and then choose the printer which
interests you. You can then choose the OS you need drivers for and see if
they are available. My Acculaser 1200 is supported

Here is a Epson list of supported printers:- http://tinyurl.com/fmguo

Canon isn't quite as forthcoming - although they did have a 64-bit driver
for my Pixma IP4200 printer
 
Reply With Quote
 
Charlie Russel - MVP
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-01-2006
Not really going to solve it, I don't think. But I'd be curious to hear how
you think it would workaround those awful host based printers...

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

"Tony Sperling" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Good Morning!
>
>
> Just thought I'd mention this within some context - I can't say if I
> believe
> you would need it at all, but Ghostscript is available in a 64bit Windows
> version! Might be usefull for someone in such a situation?
>
>
> Tony. . .
>
>
> "Charlie Russel - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Any printer that supports PCL or Postscript, and that is network

> connected,
>> will work, even if there isn't an exact driver match. What you do NOT
>> want
>> is a printer that uses "host based printing". This means that all the
>> intelligence has been removed from the printer, and it will do absolutely
>> nothing without the special application that runs on the print server.

> Yes,
>> it's cheaper. But really, there are WAY better options both now and in
>> the
>> future that aren't all that much more expensive and that will work under
>> virtually any conditions.
>>
>> I have an old HP 1200 series that I bought long before there was an x64
>> Edition. It is connected to an inexpensive wireless print server, and
>> supports both PCL5 and Postscript. I can print to it without issue from

> the
>> 7 different operating systems I'm running here this week. At least 3 of
>> which are in beta AND are x64.
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>>
>> "Beth" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >I need a driver so I can install a printer. Any help would be

> appreciated.
>> > --
>> > Beth

>>
>>

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Tony Sperling
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-01-2006
I see, I wasn't being clear - no I was thinking that since Gostscript have
built-in capabillity (as I understand it) to print Postscript on
non-postscript printers, that it might open up an avenue towards blowing
life into those printers left to die wiith no drivers. Being 64bit on it's
own, and realizing that it probably wouldn't be able to perform it's bag of
tricks if it wasn't hard-coded to circumvent the driver paradigm altogether?
Or, rather perhaps - the Windows Device Independent Driver Subsystem?

But the host based miscreants, will be beyond any efforts of help, I take
it - unless GS actually happens to behave as the Host in this case.

I've seen it print to a standard Deskjet. Certainly wasn't Postscript
quality, but also no worse than the standard quality of the printer - the
important point was that it was printing!

Tony. . .


"Charlie Russel - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Not really going to solve it, I don't think. But I'd be curious to hear

how
> you think it would workaround those awful host based printers...
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>
> "Tony Sperling" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Good Morning!
> >
> >
> > Just thought I'd mention this within some context - I can't say if I
> > believe
> > you would need it at all, but Ghostscript is available in a 64bit

Windows
> > version! Might be usefull for someone in such a situation?
> >
> >
> > Tony. . .
> >
> >
> > "Charlie Russel - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> Any printer that supports PCL or Postscript, and that is network

> > connected,
> >> will work, even if there isn't an exact driver match. What you do NOT
> >> want
> >> is a printer that uses "host based printing". This means that all the
> >> intelligence has been removed from the printer, and it will do

absolutely
> >> nothing without the special application that runs on the print server.

> > Yes,
> >> it's cheaper. But really, there are WAY better options both now and in
> >> the
> >> future that aren't all that much more expensive and that will work

under
> >> virtually any conditions.
> >>
> >> I have an old HP 1200 series that I bought long before there was an x64
> >> Edition. It is connected to an inexpensive wireless print server, and
> >> supports both PCL5 and Postscript. I can print to it without issue from

> > the
> >> 7 different operating systems I'm running here this week. At least 3 of
> >> which are in beta AND are x64.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Charlie.
> >> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
> >>
> >> "Beth" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> >I need a driver so I can install a printer. Any help would be

> > appreciated.
> >> > --
> >> > Beth
> >>
> >>

> >
> >

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Charlie Russel - MVP
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-01-2006
The problem with the host based printers is that there's nothing in there
but a proprietary bit map engine that requires proprietary software to
manage. IOW - don't go there. I don't think even ghostscript can do much
with it, sadly.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64


Tony Sperling wrote:
> I see, I wasn't being clear - no I was thinking that since Gostscript have
> built-in capabillity (as I understand it) to print Postscript on
> non-postscript printers, that it might open up an avenue towards blowing
> life into those printers left to die wiith no drivers. Being 64bit on it's
> own, and realizing that it probably wouldn't be able to perform it's bag
> of tricks if it wasn't hard-coded to circumvent the driver paradigm
> altogether? Or, rather perhaps - the Windows Device Independent Driver
> Subsystem?
>
> But the host based miscreants, will be beyond any efforts of help, I take
> it - unless GS actually happens to behave as the Host in this case.
>
> I've seen it print to a standard Deskjet. Certainly wasn't Postscript
> quality, but also no worse than the standard quality of the printer - the
> important point was that it was printing!
>
> Tony. . .
>
>
> "Charlie Russel - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Not really going to solve it, I don't think. But I'd be curious to hear
>> how you think it would workaround those awful host based printers...
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>>
>> "Tony Sperling" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Good Morning!
>>>
>>>
>>> Just thought I'd mention this within some context - I can't say if I
>>> believe
>>> you would need it at all, but Ghostscript is available in a 64bit
>>> Windows version! Might be usefull for someone in such a situation?
>>>
>>>
>>> Tony. . .
>>>
>>>
>>> "Charlie Russel - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>> Any printer that supports PCL or Postscript, and that is network
>>>> connected, will work, even if there isn't an exact driver match. What
>>>> you do NOT want
>>>> is a printer that uses "host based printing". This means that all the
>>>> intelligence has been removed from the printer, and it will do
>>>> absolutely nothing without the special application that runs on the
>>>> print server. Yes, it's cheaper. But really, there are WAY better
>>>> options both now and in the
>>>> future that aren't all that much more expensive and that will work
>>>> under virtually any conditions.
>>>>
>>>> I have an old HP 1200 series that I bought long before there was an x64
>>>> Edition. It is connected to an inexpensive wireless print server, and
>>>> supports both PCL5 and Postscript. I can print to it without issue
>>>> from the 7 different operating systems I'm running here this week. At
>>>> least 3 of which are in beta AND are x64.
>>>>
>>>> --
>>>> Charlie.
>>>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>>>>
>>>> "Beth" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>>> I need a driver so I can install a printer. Any help would be
>>>>> appreciated. --
>>>>> Beth



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
problem in running a basic code in python 3.3.0 that includes HTML file Satabdi Mukherjee Python 1 04-04-2013 07:48 PM
How to exclude action of Find::Find::find in subdirectories withknown names? vdvorkin Perl Misc 3 02-14-2011 05:28 AM
How to exclude action of Find::Find::find in subdirectories withknown names? vdvorkin Perl Misc 0 02-10-2011 05:18 PM
Find.find() doesn't work with broken symlinks robertlaferla@comcast.net Ruby 2 03-26-2007 10:03 PM
Find.find does not find orphaned links? Wybo Dekker Ruby 1 11-15-2005 02:50 PM



Advertisments