Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Quick Q .. 32bit v 64bit (2003) system memory space

Quick Q .. 32bit v 64bit (2003) system memory space

Charlie Russel - MVP

Why thank you. There are several whitepapers out there on x64, both client
and server, that I have written. This was actually the very first.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

NuTCrAcKeR wrote:
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> The reason MS support cautions you about turning on the /3GB switch is
>> because it will make the situation worse. The problem with running /3GB
>> is that it starves the OS. This makes the OS far more vulnerable to a DOS
>> attack, for example, or just too many legitimate connections.
>>
>> Take a look at the deployment scenarios whitepaper I wrote for the launch
>> of x64. http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...64/deploy.mspx
>>
>> In x64 edition, you get the benefits of /3GB (actually, you get 4GB)
>> without the penalty of starving the OS.
>>

>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>>

> Excellent white paper. It clarified several misconceptions for me. This is
> definitely something I can use.
>
> Thank you very, very much !
>
> - NuTs

Charlie Russel - MVP

The disconnect between address space and RAM is a very common misconception.
I suspect we'll see the same misconception when our PC's have 16 TB of RAM.
(and yes, I hope and expect to live that long!)

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64