Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > WinXP 64 hanging up entering the Windows Desktop

WinXP 64 hanging up entering the Windows Desktop

=?Utf-8?B?cGhpbGc=?=

Hi all.. I did a clean install of WinXP Pro 64 on my new ASUS M2NPV-VM Socket
AM2 motherboard, with an Athlon 64 Socket AM2 4000+. The OS loaded fine and
came up with a regular desktop. I installed the drivers that came with my MB
using the 'ASUSAll' install program (installs all necessary drivers in
sequence with 4 reboots), finishing with a makedisk program to set up drivers
for SATA drives (I have two new WD 320gb's plugged into the SATA sockets, but
no raid config as yet). Since then, the PC will not fully load the desktop
and hangs without bringing up the lower toolbar, desktop icons, etc. I can do
a re-installe I suppose, but I have hoping for another solution. Any
suggestions would be appreciated. - phil

John.Isaacks@gmail.com

what type of video and power supply do you have?

if the power supply was weak it might have random lockups.

I had a Rosewill 550W power supply that worked ok when I only had one
video card but when I went dual video cards ( crossfire ) it would lock
up at random. I seems the Rosewill wasn't really a 550W, it was more
like 250W power supply.

I changed to a 700W FSP group and all lockup problems went away.

=?Utf-8?B?cGhpbGc=?=

Thanks John!

I have a 450 watt power supply, can't remember which type just yet.
I'm not sure if this is a 'random' lockup or a consistent one.. as I haven't
been able to get past it on a reboot just yet... I am using the integrated
video option so the power supply may not be a factor. I only have two HD's
running off of it at this time.

I'll see if I can find one to test out your thoughts... thanks!

"(E-Mail Removed)" wrote:

> what type of video and power supply do you have?
>
> if the power supply was weak it might have random lockups.
>
> I had a Rosewill 550W power supply that worked ok when I only had one
> video card but when I went dual video cards ( crossfire ) it would lock
> up at random. I seems the Rosewill wasn't really a 550W, it was more
> like 250W power supply.
>
> I changed to a 700W FSP group and all lockup problems went away.

John Barnes

Seriously doubt that it be worth the effort to install a new power supply
when the problem didn't occur until you installed the SATA drivers.
Power would be consistent the whole way thru. Have you tried booting in
either Safe or VGA modes, and what were the results.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

"John Barnes" wrote:

> Seriously doubt that it be worth the effort to install a new power supply
> when the problem didn't occur until you installed the SATA drivers. <snip>

.... Actually John, you brought up a good point. What came up was the
'makeadisk' utility for the SATA drivers.. I actually 'missed' the F6 install
of the SATA drivers on the disk.. maybe the OS can't find the drive it needs
fully? I should be able to test it out some more tonight... thanks for your
input.

John Barnes

You had your system up and running without the SATA drivers at F6, so you
don't need them. The drives are either seen or not seen and yours are seen.
Was there anything actually installed in one of the processes before the
system failed, and try the other two boot methods to see what happens

"philg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "John Barnes" wrote:
>
>> Seriously doubt that it be worth the effort to install a new power supply
>> when the problem didn't occur until you installed the SATA drivers.
>> <snip>

> ... Actually John, you brought up a good point. What came up was the
> 'makeadisk' utility for the SATA drivers.. I actually 'missed' the F6
> install
> of the SATA drivers on the disk.. maybe the OS can't find the drive it
> needs
> fully? I should be able to test it out some more tonight... thanks for
> your
> input.

=?Utf-8?B?cGhpbGc=?=

Many thanks to all who contributed. The reinstall of drivers seemed to stop
the hang up. Now I can move on to the next 'glitch' <grin>