Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > XP 64 on a Dell Precision 670

XP 64 on a Dell Precision 670

=?Utf-8?B?TWlrZQ==?=

I purchased a Dell Precision 670 that came with teh XP Pro (32 bit version).

Several months ago, I ordered and rececied the Dell XP 64 bit upgrade disk.

I have not installed it yet.

I want to install it on a seperate hard drive and have access to both OSs.
However, I am not sure how the liscencing works.

If I install the 64 bit system and activate it, will the 32 bit system stop
working?

If so, can I buy a new key for one or the other so I can use both?

thanks

M. Murcek

Strictly guessing, but if Dell's calling it an upgrade disk, I'd bet it's
"in place of" rather than "in addition to" 32 bit XP. It's unusual for an
OEM to ship a disk that actually exposes the generic install routines. It
usually boots and merrily does what it does with only prompts for the
localization and network customizations. Again - I'm just guessing.
Anybody actually done this with a Dell machine?

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I purchased a Dell Precision 670 that came with teh XP Pro (32 bit
>version).
>
> Several months ago, I ordered and rececied the Dell XP 64 bit upgrade
> disk.
>
> I have not installed it yet.
>
> I want to install it on a seperate hard drive and have access to both OSs.
> However, I am not sure how the liscencing works.
>
> If I install the 64 bit system and activate it, will the 32 bit system
> stop
> working?
>
> If so, can I buy a new key for one or the other so I can use both?
>
> thanks

Charlie Russel - MVP

Depends on what your deal from Dell was. Both are OEM versions. If you
bought an "upgrade" from Dell, your old one is no longer usable. If you
bought a standalone version, you can dual boot.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Mike wrote:
> I purchased a Dell Precision 670 that came with teh XP Pro (32 bit
> version).
>
> Several months ago, I ordered and rececied the Dell XP 64 bit upgrade
> disk.
>
> I have not installed it yet.
>
> I want to install it on a seperate hard drive and have access to both OSs.
> However, I am not sure how the liscencing works.
>
> If I install the 64 bit system and activate it, will the 32 bit system
> stop working?
>
> If so, can I buy a new key for one or the other so I can use both?
>
> thanks

=?Utf-8?B?TWlrZQ==?=

Note sure. It says it is a technology advancement program.

They have different cd keys. If I install the 64 bit and activiate it, will
teh 32 bit stop working? Or if that is the case, will it not even let me
activate the 64bit.

thanks

"Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:

> Depends on what your deal from Dell was. Both are OEM versions. If you
> bought an "upgrade" from Dell, your old one is no longer usable. If you
> bought a standalone version, you can dual boot.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>

> Mike wrote:
> > I purchased a Dell Precision 670 that came with teh XP Pro (32 bit
> > version).
> >
> > Several months ago, I ordered and rececied the Dell XP 64 bit upgrade
> > disk.
> >
> > I have not installed it yet.
> >
> > I want to install it on a seperate hard drive and have access to both OSs.
> > However, I am not sure how the liscencing works.
> >
> > If I install the 64 bit system and activate it, will the 32 bit system
> > stop working?
> >
> > If so, can I buy a new key for one or the other so I can use both?
> >
> > thanks

mikeyhsd

why not call dell and ask.

"Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:

> Depends on what your deal from Dell was. Both are OEM versions. If you
> bought an "upgrade" from Dell, your old one is no longer usable. If you
> bought a standalone version, you can dual boot.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>

> Mike wrote:
> > I purchased a Dell Precision 670 that came with teh XP Pro (32 bit
> > version).
> >
> > Several months ago, I ordered and rececied the Dell XP 64 bit upgrade
> > disk.
> >
> > I have not installed it yet.
> >
> > I want to install it on a seperate hard drive and have access to both OSs.
> > However, I am not sure how the liscencing works.
> >
> > If I install the 64 bit system and activate it, will the 32 bit system
> > stop working?
> >
> > If so, can I buy a new key for one or the other so I can use both?
> >
> > thanks

Charlie Russel - MVP

The Technology Advancement Program ended over a year ago. If you got it
through that, then your 32-bit becomes unlicensed as soon as you install.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Mike wrote:
> Note sure. It says it is a technology advancement program.
>
> They have different cd keys. If I install the 64 bit and activiate it,
> will teh 32 bit stop working? Or if that is the case, will it not even
> let me activate the 64bit.
>
> thanks
>

> "Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:
>
>> Depends on what your deal from Dell was. Both are OEM versions. If you
>> bought an "upgrade" from Dell, your old one is no longer usable. If you
>> bought a standalone version, you can dual boot.
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>>

>> Mike wrote:
>>> I purchased a Dell Precision 670 that came with teh XP Pro (32 bit
>>> version).
>>>
>>> Several months ago, I ordered and rececied the Dell XP 64 bit upgrade
>>> disk.
>>>
>>> I have not installed it yet.
>>>
>>> I want to install it on a seperate hard drive and have access to both
>>> OSs. However, I am not sure how the liscencing works.
>>>
>>> If I install the 64 bit system and activate it, will the 32 bit system
>>> stop working?
>>>
>>> If so, can I buy a new key for one or the other so I can use both?
>>>
>>> thanks

Benjamin Gawert

* Mike:

> I purchased a Dell Precision 670 that came with teh XP Pro (32 bit version).
>
> Several months ago, I ordered and rececied the Dell XP 64 bit upgrade disk.
>
> I have not installed it yet.
>
> I want to install it on a seperate hard drive and have access to both OSs.
> However, I am not sure how the liscencing works.

I guess Dells upgrade program was similar to that of HP where I got the
xp x64 upgrade for my xw8200 workstation. If that's the case then by
using the x64 edition your 32bit Windows license expires....

> If I install the 64 bit system and activate it, will the 32 bit system stop
> working?

No.

> If so, can I buy a new key for one or the other so I can use both?

XP x64 should come with a different key. However, with obtaining x64
your 32bit Windows license got invalid, using both would be illegal...

Benjamin

John Barnes

As Benjamin said, but you can always buy a new copy (full, not upgrade) of
x86 and do a repair install of your x86 sytem. Then you would LEGALLY be
able to use both systems in dual boot mode.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Note sure. It says it is a technology advancement program.
>
> They have different cd keys. If I install the 64 bit and activiate it,
> will
> teh 32 bit stop working? Or if that is the case, will it not even let me
> activate the 64bit.
>
> thanks
>

> "Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:
>
>> Depends on what your deal from Dell was. Both are OEM versions. If you
>> bought an "upgrade" from Dell, your old one is no longer usable. If you
>> bought a standalone version, you can dual boot.
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>>

>> Mike wrote:
>> > I purchased a Dell Precision 670 that came with teh XP Pro (32 bit
>> > version).
>> >
>> > Several months ago, I ordered and rececied the Dell XP 64 bit upgrade
>> > disk.
>> >
>> > I have not installed it yet.
>> >
>> > I want to install it on a seperate hard drive and have access to both
>> > OSs.
>> > However, I am not sure how the liscencing works.
>> >
>> > If I install the 64 bit system and activate it, will the 32 bit system
>> > stop working?
>> >
>> > If so, can I buy a new key for one or the other so I can use both?
>> >
>> > thanks

=?Utf-8?B?TWlrZQ==?=

Thanks for the responses. I called Dell and they stated once I install the
64bit, the 32bit will be treated like an illegal copy.

I have no issue with buying the 64bit version. I did not realize you could
buy it until Dell Tech Support pointed me to NewEgg.com item N82E16832116053.

I figure if I have to buy one, might as well buy the one I do not have
installed.

This is listed as OEM, Dell said it should work fine. Any thoughts.

Thanks for all the help.

Mike

"Benjamin Gawert" wrote:

> * Mike:
>
> > I purchased a Dell Precision 670 that came with teh XP Pro (32 bit version).
> >
> > Several months ago, I ordered and rececied the Dell XP 64 bit upgrade disk.
> >
> > I have not installed it yet.
> >
> > I want to install it on a seperate hard drive and have access to both OSs.
> > However, I am not sure how the liscencing works.

> I guess Dells upgrade program was similar to that of HP where I got the
> xp x64 upgrade for my xw8200 workstation. If that's the case then by
> using the x64 edition your 32bit Windows license expires....
>
> > If I install the 64 bit system and activate it, will the 32 bit system stop
> > working?

> No.
>
> > If so, can I buy a new key for one or the other so I can use both?

> XP x64 should come with a different key. However, with obtaining x64
> your 32bit Windows license got invalid, using both would be illegal...
>
> Benjamin

Charlie Russel - MVP

It will work fine. There is no "retail" version, but any non-linked
OEM/System Builder version will be fine. It's only the linked "Technology
Advancement Program" copies that are at issue. They were explicitly a
_replacement_ for an existing 32-bit Windows XP Professional copy.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Mike wrote:
> Thanks for the responses. I called Dell and they stated once I install
> the 64bit, the 32bit will be treated like an illegal copy.
>
> I have no issue with buying the 64bit version. I did not realize you
> could buy it until Dell Tech Support pointed me to NewEgg.com item
> N82E16832116053.
>
> I figure if I have to buy one, might as well buy the one I do not have
> installed.
>
> This is listed as OEM, Dell said it should work fine. Any thoughts.
>
> Thanks for all the help.
>
> Mike
>

> "Benjamin Gawert" wrote:
>
>> * Mike:
>>
>>> I purchased a Dell Precision 670 that came with teh XP Pro (32 bit
>>> version).
>>>
>>> Several months ago, I ordered and rececied the Dell XP 64 bit upgrade
>>> disk.
>>>
>>> I have not installed it yet.
>>>
>>> I want to install it on a seperate hard drive and have access to both
>>> OSs. However, I am not sure how the liscencing works.

>> I guess Dells upgrade program was similar to that of HP where I got the
>> xp x64 upgrade for my xw8200 workstation. If that's the case then by
>> using the x64 edition your 32bit Windows license expires....
>>
>>> If I install the 64 bit system and activate it, will the 32 bit system
>>> stop working?

>> No.
>>
>>> If so, can I buy a new key for one or the other so I can use both?

>> XP x64 should come with a different key. However, with obtaining x64
>> your 32bit Windows license got invalid, using both would be illegal...
>>
>> Benjamin

PNY GeForce GTX 670 Graphics Card Becky Front Page News 0 07-17-2012 10:41 AM
NVIDIA GTX 670 Becky Front Page News 0 05-10-2012 05:50 PM
P4 3.4 550j to P4 3.8 670? Simpledog Computer Information 1 07-08-2006 10:51 PM
Hard Drives ? Dell Precision 420 peterpembroke@gmail.com Computer Support 4 01-10-2006 08:01 PM
Hard Drives ? Dell Precision 420 peterpembroke@gmail.com Computer Support 3 01-09-2006 07:52 PM

Advertisments