Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Question with 64Bit XP Support

Question with 64Bit XP Support

=?Utf-8?B?Um9iZXJ0IE1pemVu?=

Hey people,

I just built myself a new system (MSI K8N Motherboard, AMD Venice core 3500
64, X1600 Radeon 512 Pro, 512 Memory, External Sound card 24Bit live, Serial
ATA Maxtor 160 GB and the relevant stuff to go with like keyboard mouse etc)

I installed windows xp 64bit on without any hastle but the problem was after
that....Drivers now i read before about issues with it and i downloaded the
drivers for the mainhardware in 64bit but kept coming up with missing files
and what not,

i wana know if its possible to install 64bit over top of win xp pro and not
lose the drivers for my hardware, i was thinking of running a partition but
that defys the point of wanted to run 64 as main OS,

Any help will be very great you all seem pretty knowlegdable about this kind
of stuff here as i can see from all your detailed answers which is great.

Robert Mizen

John Barnes

> i wana know if its possible to install 64bit over top of win xp pro and
> not
> lose the drivers for my hardware, i was thinking of running a partition
> but
> that defys the point of wanted to run 64 as main OS,

You can't do anything but a clean install of x64 and you must have 64-bit
drivers for anything you want or need to work

Colin Barnhorst

No. All installations of x64, whether XP or Vista, must be clean
installations for that very reason. All drivers must be 64bit.

"Robert Mizen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hey people,
>
> I just built myself a new system (MSI K8N Motherboard, AMD Venice core
> 3500
> 64, X1600 Radeon 512 Pro, 512 Memory, External Sound card 24Bit live,
> Serial
> ATA Maxtor 160 GB and the relevant stuff to go with like keyboard mouse
> etc)
>
> I installed windows xp 64bit on without any hastle but the problem was
> after
> that....Drivers now i read before about issues with it and i downloaded
> the
> drivers for the mainhardware in 64bit but kept coming up with missing
> files
> and what not,
>
> i wana know if its possible to install 64bit over top of win xp pro and
> not
> lose the drivers for my hardware, i was thinking of running a partition
> but
> that defys the point of wanted to run 64 as main OS,
>
> Any help will be very great you all seem pretty knowlegdable about this
> kind
> of stuff here as i can see from all your detailed answers which is great.
>
> Robert Mizen

=?Utf-8?B?Um9iZXJ0IE1pemVu?=

thank you both for your help do you have any advice, the drivers for my
grpahics card ATI have a 64bit version, and my sound card i will check my
motherboard drivers and all so the rest of hardware would it benfit me using
floppy disks for drivers and the samsing combo drive is bit weird i had the
64 bit drivers on a cd but it wouldnt load them at all, the graphics said
there was "missing INF file" so the installation went off, im experenced with
computers but all this new hardware and software im getting used to so all
the help you give is appreciated alot thank you

"Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

> No. All installations of x64, whether XP or Vista, must be clean
> installations for that very reason. All drivers must be 64bit.
>
> "Robert Mizen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hey people,
> >
> > I just built myself a new system (MSI K8N Motherboard, AMD Venice core
> > 3500
> > 64, X1600 Radeon 512 Pro, 512 Memory, External Sound card 24Bit live,
> > Serial
> > ATA Maxtor 160 GB and the relevant stuff to go with like keyboard mouse
> > etc)
> >
> > I installed windows xp 64bit on without any hastle but the problem was
> > after
> > that....Drivers now i read before about issues with it and i downloaded
> > the
> > drivers for the mainhardware in 64bit but kept coming up with missing
> > files
> > and what not,
> >
> > i wana know if its possible to install 64bit over top of win xp pro and
> > not
> > lose the drivers for my hardware, i was thinking of running a partition
> > but
> > that defys the point of wanted to run 64 as main OS,
> >
> > Any help will be very great you all seem pretty knowlegdable about this
> > kind
> > of stuff here as i can see from all your detailed answers which is great.
> >
> > Robert Mizen

=?Utf-8?B?Um9iZXJ0IE1pemVu?=

Thank you both, i have 64bit drivers for both my Graphics card and Sound
card, on a cd but they wouldnot install i tryed the graphics driver did not
install because it was missing a INF File or something duno what that is, i
will find drivers for all my hardware...i am experenced with computers, just
all this new hardware and software is pretty new to me so all your help is
much apreciated thank you for taking your time to help me and many others,

this is another quick question..silly but needed, are people actully running
64bit windows will all there hardware and it is performing at the way it
should without major fall backs and problems, cos running win xp pro on a 64
bit system is anoying as hell cos i know how fast it can be lol and its like
running my old computer...brings back bad memorys lol.

"Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

> No. All installations of x64, whether XP or Vista, must be clean
> installations for that very reason. All drivers must be 64bit.
>
> "Robert Mizen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hey people,
> >
> > I just built myself a new system (MSI K8N Motherboard, AMD Venice core
> > 3500
> > 64, X1600 Radeon 512 Pro, 512 Memory, External Sound card 24Bit live,
> > Serial
> > ATA Maxtor 160 GB and the relevant stuff to go with like keyboard mouse
> > etc)
> >
> > I installed windows xp 64bit on without any hastle but the problem was
> > after
> > that....Drivers now i read before about issues with it and i downloaded
> > the
> > drivers for the mainhardware in 64bit but kept coming up with missing
> > files
> > and what not,
> >
> > i wana know if its possible to install 64bit over top of win xp pro and
> > not
> > lose the drivers for my hardware, i was thinking of running a partition
> > but
> > that defys the point of wanted to run 64 as main OS,
> >
> > Any help will be very great you all seem pretty knowlegdable about this
> > kind
> > of stuff here as i can see from all your detailed answers which is great.
> >
> > Robert Mizen

Dennis Pack x64, v64B2 \(5384\), OPP2007B2

Robert:
With x64 drivers are still the biggest headache. I’ve been running x64
fulltime since rtm and testing it since the CPP releases. X64 isn’t
necessarily faster for all operations but it’s very stable and smoother. As
programs are written for the 64-bit operating systems the speed will
increase because the program will fully utilize the 64-bit architecture.
Other than the manufacturers sites, http://www.planetamd64.com/ is an
excellent source for drivers and support. You have to register but it’s
free.

"Robert Mizen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thank you both, i have 64bit drivers for both my Graphics card and Sound
> card, on a cd but they wouldnot install i tryed the graphics driver did
> not
> install because it was missing a INF File or something duno what that is,
> will find drivers for all my hardware...i am experenced with computers,
> just
> all this new hardware and software is pretty new to me so all your help is
> much apreciated thank you for taking your time to help me and many others,
>
> this is another quick question..silly but needed, are people actully
> running
> 64bit windows will all there hardware and it is performing at the way it
> should without major fall backs and problems, cos running win xp pro on a
> 64
> bit system is anoying as hell cos i know how fast it can be lol and its
> like
> running my old computer...brings back bad memorys lol.
>
> "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
>
>> No. All installations of x64, whether XP or Vista, must be clean
>> installations for that very reason. All drivers must be 64bit.
>>
>> "Robert Mizen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Hey people,
>> >
>> > I just built myself a new system (MSI K8N Motherboard, AMD Venice core
>> > 3500
>> > 64, X1600 Radeon 512 Pro, 512 Memory, External Sound card 24Bit live,
>> > Serial
>> > ATA Maxtor 160 GB and the relevant stuff to go with like keyboard mouse
>> > etc)
>> >
>> > I installed windows xp 64bit on without any hastle but the problem was
>> > after
>> > that....Drivers now i read before about issues with it and i downloaded
>> > the
>> > drivers for the mainhardware in 64bit but kept coming up with missing
>> > files
>> > and what not,
>> >
>> > i wana know if its possible to install 64bit over top of win xp pro and
>> > not
>> > lose the drivers for my hardware, i was thinking of running a partition
>> > but
>> > that defys the point of wanted to run 64 as main OS,
>> >
>> > Any help will be very great you all seem pretty knowlegdable about this
>> > kind
>> > of stuff here as i can see from all your detailed answers which is
>> > great.
>> >
>> > Robert Mizen

=?Utf-8?B?Um9iZXJ0IE1pemVu?=

Thank you so much for that infomation i will sure to check that site as well,
i just finish a conversation imrunning win xp but i have mac os x tiger to
ulitise some features, lots of work but it worthit in end, i prefer just
using the one OS specily 64bit xp cos that worked at speeds i need and
utilies the power of my hardware i use rendering and development software
such as 3d studio max and maya, game engines and require fast responce times,

i understand what ur saying bout the whole software getting enginneered for
the 64bit arc we have the systems but no operating systems and software to
realy get the most out of it it be long time before we find our systems
working overtime

last question do any of u know when vista is currently set to be relased in UK

"Dennis Pack x64, v64B2 (5384), OPP2007B2" wrote:

> Robert:
> With x64 drivers are still the biggest headache. I’ve been running x64
> fulltime since rtm and testing it since the CPP releases. X64 isn’t
> necessarily faster for all operations but it’s very stable and smoother. As
> programs are written for the 64-bit operating systems the speed will
> increase because the program will fully utilize the 64-bit architecture.
> Other than the manufacturers sites, http://www.planetamd64.com/ is an
> excellent source for drivers and support. You have to register but it’s
> free.
>
> "Robert Mizen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Thank you both, i have 64bit drivers for both my Graphics card and Sound
> > card, on a cd but they wouldnot install i tryed the graphics driver did
> > not
> > install because it was missing a INF File or something duno what that is,
> > will find drivers for all my hardware...i am experenced with computers,
> > just
> > all this new hardware and software is pretty new to me so all your help is
> > much apreciated thank you for taking your time to help me and many others,
> >
> > this is another quick question..silly but needed, are people actully
> > running
> > 64bit windows will all there hardware and it is performing at the way it
> > should without major fall backs and problems, cos running win xp pro on a
> > 64
> > bit system is anoying as hell cos i know how fast it can be lol and its
> > like
> > running my old computer...brings back bad memorys lol.
> >
> > "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
> >
> >> No. All installations of x64, whether XP or Vista, must be clean
> >> installations for that very reason. All drivers must be 64bit.
> >>
> >> "Robert Mizen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Dennis Pack x64, v64B2 \(5384\), OPP2007B2

Robert:
The only information on Vista is OEM release 4Q, 2006 and retail 1Q, 2007,
I don’t know if that’s for the US or worldwide. I haven’t heard anything
about language packages but they will probably follow within a few months of
release. I’ve been testing Vista x64 beta 2 CPP release, the system is
stable but the driver issue is as bad or worse than when x64 was in CPP
release stages. The feel is different because it isn’t the same as XP and
the security in much stronger, but it’s not hard to get used to. I hope that
you can understand my use of American English because I’ve gotten complaints
in the past.

"Robert Mizen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thank you so much for that infomation i will sure to check that site as
> well,
> i just finish a conversation imrunning win xp but i have mac os x tiger to
> ulitise some features, lots of work but it worthit in end, i prefer just
> using the one OS specily 64bit xp cos that worked at speeds i need and
> utilies the power of my hardware i use rendering and development software
> such as 3d studio max and maya, game engines and require fast responce
> times,
>
> i understand what ur saying bout the whole software getting enginneered
> for
> the 64bit arc we have the systems but no operating systems and software to
> realy get the most out of it it be long time before we find our systems
> working overtime
>
> last question do any of u know when vista is currently set to be relased
> in UK
>
> "Dennis Pack x64, v64B2 (5384), OPP2007B2" wrote:
>
>> Robert:
>> With x64 drivers are still the biggest headache. I’ve been running x64
>> fulltime since rtm and testing it since the CPP releases. X64 isn’t
>> necessarily faster for all operations but it’s very stable and smoother.
>> As
>> programs are written for the 64-bit operating systems the speed will
>> increase because the program will fully utilize the 64-bit architecture.
>> Other than the manufacturers sites, http://www.planetamd64.com/ is an
>> excellent source for drivers and support. You have to register but it’s
>> free.
>>
>> "Robert Mizen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Thank you both, i have 64bit drivers for both my Graphics card and
>> > Sound
>> > card, on a cd but they wouldnot install i tryed the graphics driver did
>> > not
>> > install because it was missing a INF File or something duno what that
>> > is,
>> > will find drivers for all my hardware...i am experenced with computers,
>> > just
>> > all this new hardware and software is pretty new to me so all your help
>> > is
>> > much apreciated thank you for taking your time to help me and many
>> > others,
>> >
>> > this is another quick question..silly but needed, are people actully
>> > running
>> > 64bit windows will all there hardware and it is performing at the way
>> > it
>> > should without major fall backs and problems, cos running win xp pro on
>> > 64
>> > bit system is anoying as hell cos i know how fast it can be lol and its
>> > like
>> > running my old computer...brings back bad memorys lol.

=?Utf-8?B?Um9iZXJ0IE1pemVu?=

after the infomation u gave me m8 u wont get any complaints from me thats for
sure thank you ever so much dennis you been such a huge help, and i hope
vista gets all sorted and im sure its great im looking to make a jump to mac
but better not say to much on microsofts forums see you around freind
thanks again all of u

robert