Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > XP x64 - XP Pro Upgrade

XP x64 - XP Pro Upgrade

kopite

I just bought a new computer which came preinstalled with Windows XP
Home Edition. I tried to upgrade to Windows XP Professional, but got
the following error:

"setup cannot continue because the version of windows on your computer
is newer than the version on the cd."

I did some research and found out that it was because the version
currently installed is 64 bit and Windows XP Pro is 32 bit. My first
question is whether I can upgrade to Windows XP Pro using the upgrade
CD and the second question is what are the implications of moving to a
32 bit operating system and the implications on the drivers that came
preinstalled with the computer.

Thanks

Jane C

If your computer came preloaded with Windows XP Home Edition, then it is
most certainly NOT a 64 bit operating system. XP Home is 32bit only.

The XP Home on your computer most likely has SP2 installed. Make sure that
the copy of XP Professional that you have also includes SP2. If it does not
have SP2, then you would get that error message. SP2 versions are 'newer'.

--
Jane, not plain 64bit enabled
"kopite" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>I just bought a new computer which came preinstalled with Windows XP
> Home Edition. I tried to upgrade to Windows XP Professional, but got
> the following error:
>
> "setup cannot continue because the version of windows on your computer
> is newer than the version on the cd."
>
> I did some research and found out that it was because the version
> currently installed is 64 bit and Windows XP Pro is 32 bit. My first
> question is whether I can upgrade to Windows XP Pro using the upgrade
> CD and the second question is what are the implications of moving to a
> 32 bit operating system and the implications on the drivers that came
> preinstalled with the computer.
>
> Thanks

Bruce Chambers

kopite wrote:
> I just bought a new computer which came preinstalled with Windows XP
> Home Edition. I tried to upgrade to Windows XP Professional, but got
> the following error:
>
> "setup cannot continue because the version of windows on your computer
> is newer than the version on the cd."

This means exactly what it says: that your installed OS is at a
higher service pack level than is the WinXP Pro CD you're attempting to
use to perform the upgrade. You'll either need to uninstall SP2
(Control Panel, Add/Remove programs) before attempting the upgrade, or
try slipstreaming SP2 into older WinXP installation.

For slip-streaming the service pack and subsequent updates to WinXP:

How to integrate software updates into your Windows installation source
files

SlipStreaming WinXP
http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/slipstream.htm

> I did some research and found out that it was because the version
> currently installed is 64 bit and Windows XP Pro is 32 bit.

Sorry, but that's not possible. There is no 64-bit version of WinXP Home.

> My first
> question is whether I can upgrade to Windows XP Pro using the upgrade
> CD ....

Certainly, but not directly. Just follow the instructions on the above
links to create a slipstreamed Upgrade CD.

> .... and the second question is what are the implications of moving to a
> 32 bit operating system and the implications on the drivers that came
> preinstalled with the computer.

None whatsoever, as you're already using a 32-bit OS.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Many people would rather die than think; in fact, most do. -Bertrum Russell

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

If Windows XP Pro is 32 bit, that is not the problem.
Windows XP Home is not available in 64 bit so you must have 32 bit.

The most likely cause is Windows XP Home has SP-2 installed while Windows XP
Pro has SP-1 or no Service Pack.
If that is the case, you have two options:
1. Uninstall SP-2 using Add/Remove Programs
Depending on installation method, this may not be possible.
2. Slipstream SP-2 into the Windows XP Pro CD:
http://msfn.org/comments.php?id=9235...ght=slipstream

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

"kopite" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>I just bought a new computer which came preinstalled with Windows XP
> Home Edition. I tried to upgrade to Windows XP Professional, but got
> the following error:
>
> "setup cannot continue because the version of windows on your computer
> is newer than the version on the cd."
>
> I did some research and found out that it was because the version
> currently installed is 64 bit and Windows XP Pro is 32 bit. My first
> question is whether I can upgrade to Windows XP Pro using the upgrade
> CD and the second question is what are the implications of moving to a
> 32 bit operating system and the implications on the drivers that came
> preinstalled with the computer.
>
> Thanks

Charlie Russel - MVP

You should be able to do a "repair install" shouldn't you? It won't
complain, there. And you'll end up where you want to be. (For repair
install, google "XP Repair Install" and go to the first hit.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Jupiter Jones [MVP] wrote:
> If Windows XP Pro is 32 bit, that is not the problem.
> Windows XP Home is not available in 64 bit so you must have 32 bit.
>
> The most likely cause is Windows XP Home has SP-2 installed while Windows
> XP Pro has SP-1 or no Service Pack.
> If that is the case, you have two options:
> 1. Uninstall SP-2 using Add/Remove Programs
> Depending on installation method, this may not be possible.
> 2. Slipstream SP-2 into the Windows XP Pro CD:
> http://msfn.org/comments.php?id=9235...ght=slipstream
>

> "kopite" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>> I just bought a new computer which came preinstalled with Windows XP
>> Home Edition. I tried to upgrade to Windows XP Professional, but got
>> the following error:
>>
>> "setup cannot continue because the version of windows on your computer
>> is newer than the version on the cd."
>>
>> I did some research and found out that it was because the version
>> currently installed is 64 bit and Windows XP Pro is 32 bit. My first
>> question is whether I can upgrade to Windows XP Pro using the upgrade
>> CD and the second question is what are the implications of moving to a
>> 32 bit operating system and the implications on the drivers that came
>> preinstalled with the computer.
>>
>> Thanks

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

Charlie;
You're correct, a Repair Install is another option.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
http://www.dts-l.org

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> You should be able to do a "repair install" shouldn't you? It won't
> complain, there. And you'll end up where you want to be. (For repair
> install, google "XP Repair Install" and go to the first hit.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Charlie Russel - MVP

Whew - had me worried that I was missing something, here.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64