Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > limited account user

limited account user

=?Utf-8?B?TGFycnkgVCBNYXlvcg==?=

I have a Dell Computer with the following:

Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Processional
Operating System Version: 5.1.2600

I want to allow programs to be run by a limited account user. I have
Quickbooks Pro and it can only be run by the Admin account user. When I try
to open it in the limited user account I get an error message window
entitled: Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library. The message is:

Runtime Error
Program c:\program\intuit\quickbooks 2005\qbw32.exe
Abnormal program termination

Please communicate back to me how to change the settings to allow programs
to be run by both accounts or if necessary just the limited account user. Or
tell me where and what to read. I have looked all thru the “Help and Support
Center” and have not found out how.

Thanks,

Bruce Chambers

Larry T Mayor wrote:
> I have a Dell Computer with the following:
>
> Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Processional
> Operating System Version: 5.1.2600
>

> I want to allow programs to be run by a limited account user. I have
> Quickbooks Pro and it can only be run by the Admin account user. When I try
> to open it in the limited user account I get an error message window
> entitled: Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library. The message is:
>
> Runtime Error
> Program c:\program\intuit\quickbooks 2005\qbw32.exe
> Abnormal program termination
>
> Please communicate back to me how to change the settings to allow programs
> to be run by both accounts or if necessary just the limited account user. Or
> tell me where and what to read. I have looked all thru the “Help and Support
> Center” and have not found out how.
>
> Thanks,

You may experience some problems if the software was designed for
Win9x/Me, or if it was intended for WinNT/2K/XP, but was improperly
designed. Quite simply, the application doesn't "know" how to handle
individual user profiles with differing security permissions levels, or
the application is designed to make to make changes to "off-limits"
sections of the Windows registry or protected Windows system folders.

For example, saved data are often stored in a sub-folder under the
application's folder within C:\Program Files - a place where no
inexperienced or limited user should ever have write permissions. (Games
are particularly likely to follow this horrible practice.)

It may even be that the software requires "write" access to parts
of the registry or protected systems folders/files that are not normally
accessible to regular users. (This *won't* occur if the application is
properly written.) If this does prove to be the case, however, you're
often left with three options: Either grant the necessary users
appropriate higher access privileges (either as Power Users or local
administrators), explicitly grant normal users elevated privileges to
the affected folders and/or part(s) or the registry, or replace the
application with one that was properly designed specifically for
WinNT/2K/XP.

Some Programs Do Not Work If You Log On from Limited Account

Additionally, here are a couple of tips suggested, in a reply to a
different post, by MS-MVP Kent W. England:

"If your game or application works with admin accounts, but not with
limited accounts, you can fix it to allow limited users to access the
program files folder with "change" capability rather than "read" which
is the default.

C:\>cacls "Program Files\appfolder" /e /t /p users:c

where "appfolder" is the folder where the application is installed.

If you wish to undo these changes, then run

C:\>cacls "Program Files\appfolder" /e /t /p users:r

If you still have a problem with running the program or saving
settings on limited accounts, you may need to change permissions on
the registry keys. Run regedit.exe and go to HKLM\Software\vendor\app,
where "vendor\app" is the key that the software vendor used for your
specific program. Change the permissions on this key to allow Users
full control."

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Many people would rather die than think; in fact, most do. -Bertrum Russell

Charlie Russel - MVP

Doesn't have anything to do with x64, but even quickbooks can be beaten into
submission. It's just not trivial. I'm sure Susan Bradley has something on
it in her blog - http://msmvps.com/blogs/bradley

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Larry T Mayor wrote:
> I have a Dell Computer with the following:
>
> Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Processional
> Operating System Version: 5.1.2600
>

> I want to allow programs to be run by a limited account user. I have
> Quickbooks Pro and it can only be run by the Admin account user. When I
> try to open it in the limited user account I get an error message window
> entitled: Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library. The message is:
>
> Runtime Error
> Program c:\program\intuit\quickbooks 2005\qbw32.exe
> Abnormal program termination
>
> Please communicate back to me how to change the settings to allow programs
> to be run by both accounts or if necessary just the limited account user.
> Or tell me where and what to read. I have looked all thru the "Help and
> Support Center" and have not found out how.
>
> Thanks,

Steve Foster [SBS MVP]

Larry T Mayor wrote:

>I have a Dell Computer with the following:
>
>Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Processional
>Operating System Version: 5.1.2600
>

>I want to allow programs to be run by a limited account user. I have
>Quickbooks Pro and it can only be run by the Admin account user. When I try
>to open it in the limited user account I get an error message window
>entitled: Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library. The message is:
>
>Runtime Error
>Program c:\program\intuit\quickbooks 2005\qbw32.exe
>Abnormal program termination
>
>Please communicate back to me how to change the settings to allow programs
>to be run by both accounts or if necessary just the limited account user.
>Or
>tell me where and what to read. I have looked all thru the “Help and
>Support
>Center” and have not found out how.

You might like to visit this site dedicated to reclaiming administrative
privileges for administrative purposes:

www.threatcode.com

--
Steve Foster [SBS MVP]