Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > XP64 (c:RAID Array) & XP32 (SATA) Dual Boot Probs

XP64 (c:RAID Array) & XP32 (SATA) Dual Boot Probs

cstanger

Hello
I currently have XP64 installed on a RAID array and have done for som
time.
I now need to install XP32 for work purposes. I have installed a new
hardrive to do this and installed XP32Pro following all th
instructions.
At the end of the installation, the computer restarts and I get a
error
message saying that windows has failed to start properly. I can no
get XP32 to load at all. When I switch teh boot device order back t
removable/HD etc, I do get a boot menu and XP64 still boots fine. Bu
again, when I try XP32 , I get the same message. Do you know what
need to do to get this to load??

Just some more info, here is what is detailed in my boot.ini..
[boot loader
timeout=3
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOW
[operating systems
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP
Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptI
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP 64"
/fastdetect /NoExecut

Under windows XP64, the C: drive is my RAID array and F: is the driv
that
contains the SATA WD drive for XP32. What I did notice was that when
was installing XP32, it noticed the RAID array as d: and the SATA WD a
c:. When I am in Win Recovery console, th XP version in on c: and m
old XP64 and all my other stuff is on d:. Something really strabg
seems to be going on with my drives
When I have loaded into XP64, they appear as normal (i.e RAID as C: an
new drive with XP32 as f:.) Something definitely seems to be going o
with my drives

Thank
Chri

--
cstange
cstanger's Profile: http://www.64bit-world.com/forums/member.php?u=244

John Barnes

Something really strabge
> seems to be going on with my drives.

This is frequently the case and is why I always ask for Drive # and
Partition number rather than letters which can vary alot.

Using the drive number partition number format, as you are currently set up
in your boot priority, what shows up in Disk management. Drive # (type
SATA, IDE) Partition (description and what status ie boot, system, active)

"cstanger" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Hello,
> I currently have XP64 installed on a RAID array and have done for some
> time.
> I now need to install XP32 for work purposes. I have installed a new
> hardrive to do this and installed XP32Pro following all the
> instructions.
> At the end of the installation, the computer restarts and I get an
> error
> message saying that windows has failed to start properly. I can not
> get XP32 to load at all. When I switch teh boot device order back to
> removable/HD etc, I do get a boot menu and XP64 still boots fine. But
> again, when I try XP32 , I get the same message. Do you know what I
> need to do to get this to load???
>
> Just some more info, here is what is detailed in my boot.ini...
> [boot loader]
> timeout=30
> default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOW S
> [operating systems]
> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP
> Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP 64"
> /fastdetect /NoExecute
>
> Under windows XP64, the C: drive is my RAID array and F: is the drive
> that
> contains the SATA WD drive for XP32. What I did notice was that when I
> was installing XP32, it noticed the RAID array as d: and the SATA WD as
> c:. When I am in Win Recovery console, th XP version in on c: and my
> old XP64 and all my other stuff is on d:. Something really strabge
> seems to be going on with my drives.
> When I have loaded into XP64, they appear as normal (i.e RAID as C: and
> new drive with XP32 as f:.) Something definitely seems to be going on
> with my drives.
>
> Thanks
> Chris
>

> --
> cstanger
> cstanger's Profile: http://www.64bit-world.com/forums/member.php?u=2446
> View this thread: http://www.64bit-world.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=39507

Charlie Russel - MVP

Do not try to use the BIOS boot device order for multi-boot, but instead use
the instructions on my blog. Since you're doing it in reverse order, there
are some files you need to save off and restore after the XP 32bit install,
but that's easy enough to do and is detailed towards the end of the article.

http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64/arc.../21/76180.aspx
--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

cstanger wrote:
> Hello,
> I currently have XP64 installed on a RAID array and have done for some
> time.
> I now need to install XP32 for work purposes. I have installed a new
> hardrive to do this and installed XP32Pro following all the
> instructions.
> At the end of the installation, the computer restarts and I get an
> error
> message saying that windows has failed to start properly. I can not
> get XP32 to load at all. When I switch teh boot device order back to
> removable/HD etc, I do get a boot menu and XP64 still boots fine. But
> again, when I try XP32 , I get the same message. Do you know what I
> need to do to get this to load???
>
> Just some more info, here is what is detailed in my boot.ini...
> [boot loader]
> timeout=30
> default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOW S
> [operating systems]
> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP
> Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP 64"
> /fastdetect /NoExecute
>
> Under windows XP64, the C: drive is my RAID array and F: is the drive
> that
> contains the SATA WD drive for XP32. What I did notice was that when I
> was installing XP32, it noticed the RAID array as d: and the SATA WD as
> c:. When I am in Win Recovery console, th XP version in on c: and my
> old XP64 and all my other stuff is on d:. Something really strabge
> seems to be going on with my drives.
> When I have loaded into XP64, they appear as normal (i.e RAID as C: and
> new drive with XP32 as f:.) Something definitely seems to be going on
> with my drives.
>
> Thanks
> Chris

cstanger

Hi John

Disk Management is showing..

DISK 1 = c:\ as my 389GB RAID, status Healthy (Boot
DISK 0 = f:\ as newly installed WD Raptor 70GB, status Health
(System

Both are NTFS, Partition Layout, type Basic. I can not see anythin
else about partitions, but I have not manually set any up myself.

I have followed the usual restore process after installing XP32 las
such as replacing the ntldr & ntdetect.com from the XP64 cd and rebuil
the boot.ini

Thank

--
cstange
cstanger's Profile: http://www.64bit-world.com/forums/member.php?u=244
View this thread: http://www.64bit-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3950

John Barnes

The 3 files from the x64 system need to be on the root of your f (Raptor)
the way you are currently configured.
you say you rebuilt the boot.ini The safest way to rebuild it is using the
bootcfg /rebuild command in Recovery Console.

Did you get the whole way thru the xp86 install.

> Hi John,
>
> Disk Management is showing...
>
> DISK 1 = c:\ as my 389GB RAID, status Healthy (Boot)
> DISK 0 = f:\ as newly installed WD Raptor 70GB, status Healthy
> (System)
>
> Both are NTFS, Partition Layout, type Basic. I can not see anything
> else about partitions, but I have not manually set any up myself.
>
> I have followed the usual restore process after installing XP32 last
> such as replacing the ntldr & ntdetect.com from the XP64 cd and rebuilt
> the boot.ini.
>
> Thanks
>

> --
> cstanger
> cstanger's Profile: http://www.64bit-world.com/forums/member.php?u=2446
> View this thread: http://www.64bit-world.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=39507

cstanger

I have copied the three files (assuming you are refferring to ntldr,
ntdetect and boot.ini) to the f:drive. As such, XP64 boots fine. Its
just the XP32 that fails and says that it has failed to boot, do I want
to boot normallly, in safe mode etc. I have tried a number of the
options but the system just reboots.

I have never got XP32 to load. It all installs fine, but then on the
final reboot (after key code and locations settings), when it reboots
it comes up with the screen.

When I installed XP32, I did F6 to install the RAID drivers so that the
installation would be able to see the RAID array (and thus when I was
booted to 32, I can move files from the c: to the new f: drive. Is
this what is causing the problem. Should I not have pressed F6 if I
was not going to install to the RAID c

--
cstanger
cstanger's Profile: http://www.64bit-world.com/forums/member.php?u=2446
View this thread: http://www.64bit-world.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=39507

andy

On Mon, 14 Aug 2006 13:21:03 +0100, cstanger
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hello,
>I currently have XP64 installed on a RAID array and have done for some
>time.
>I now need to install XP32 for work purposes. I have installed a new
>hardrive to do this and installed XP32Pro following all the
>instructions.
>At the end of the installation, the computer restarts and I get an
>error
>message saying that windows has failed to start properly. I can not
>get XP32 to load at all. When I switch teh boot device order back to
>removable/HD etc, I do get a boot menu and XP64 still boots fine. But
>again, when I try XP32 , I get the same message. Do you know what I
>need to do to get this to load???

If the installation completed, then you must have booted from the WD
SATA once after the first phase of the installation.

My suggestion is clean install XP32 again, and see if you get the same
results.

>Just some more info, here is what is detailed in my boot.ini...
>[boot loader]
>timeout=30
>default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDO WS
>[operating systems]
>multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micr osoft Windows XP
>Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
>multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micr osoft Windows XP 64"
>/fastdetect /NoExecute

I'm assuming that you manually modified boot.ini, because based on the
rdisk number and your other message that the WD disk is system,
boot.ini is on the WD SATA disk, which means that dual booting would
not have been installed during XP32 setup.

>Under windows XP64, the C: drive is my RAID array and F: is the drive
>that
>contains the SATA WD drive for XP32. What I did notice was that when I
>was installing XP32, it noticed the RAID array as d: and the SATA WD as
>c:.

What this means is when you installed the WD SATA disk, it became the
first disk in the BIOS hard disk priority order. XP32 setup assigns C:
to the first active primary partition that it detects.

> When I am in Win Recovery console, th XP version in on c: and my
>old XP64 and all my other stuff is on d:. Something really strabge
>seems to be going on with my drives.
>When I have loaded into XP64, they appear as normal (i.e RAID as C: and
>new drive with XP32 as f:.) Something definitely seems to be going on
>with my drives.
>
>Thanks
>Chris

cstanger

Hi Andy,

Thanks for your reply. Re your comments:

1]

--
cstanger
cstanger's Profile: http://www.64bit-world.com/forums/member.php?u=2446
View this thread: http://www.64bit-world.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=39507

John Barnes

At this point, we know you have the correct files to launch x64 and have
installed XP (which completed) and you have the boot.ini which shows that it
has changed the timeout to 30 from the 1 that it has after the initial phase
of the install. You also said it was present in Recovery Console. You
booted into the XP system for the GUI phase, so the drivers should be okay.
I would disconnect the x64 drive and try to start x32 to see what messages
you get and then I would do the rebuild of the boot.ini with the Recovery
console as previously suggested. That should give you 4 entries on your
boot.ini which you can clean up later. Let's see what you get with those
two
If I understand correctly you just go thru a reboot if you select either
Safe or VGA modes using F8. If I am wrong, try those and see the results.

"cstanger" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Hi Andy,
>
> Thanks for your reply. Re your comments:
>
> 1]
>

> --
> cstanger
> cstanger's Profile: http://www.64bit-world.com/forums/member.php?u=2446
> View this thread: http://www.64bit-world.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=39507

cstanger

Thanks John

I will try this shortly when I get home. Just in the meantime, i
should be possible for me to boot into Win XP32 and view my other har
drive that contains Win XP64 isn't it

When in XP64 I can see my new drive as f: as mentioned, and when
first installed, I thought I did it incorrectly as I did not load i
the raid drivers when I was installing X32. However, X32 did boot, bu
obviously I could not view the Raid array. At the moment I am thinkin
this is the prob.

I will try what you suggested tonight