Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > The fear of VISTA (All about x64)

The fear of VISTA (All about x64)

Robert

>From several sources, there are hardships explaining that x64 is so
ahead of its time (software-wise) that hardly anything will run on it
(such as drivers, applications, firewalls, anti-virus') and report that
once Vista comes out, x64 will be obsolete. Is this somewhat true?

Explain please. Thanks -Rob

Jud Hendrix

On 13 Aug 2006 02:16:31 -0700, "Robert" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>and report that once Vista comes out, x64 will be obsolete. Is this somewhat true?

I better hope not. Vista will be in such a bloated stated, full off all
kind of crap which 90% of the users doesn't actually need, filling up gigs
of hard-disk space and eating loads of RAM. Yuck! They will have to pry
XP64 from my dead hands, before I give up using it

jud

Tony Sperling

They will have to pry XP64 from my dead hands, before I give up using it

or, simply stop supporting it - Win2K is a gone'er, already! (sob. . .)

(6 years, and the next best thing. Not counting SLED, of course!)

Tony. . .

Jud Hendrix

On Sun, 13 Aug 2006 12:23:23 +0200, "Tony Sperling"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>or, simply stop supporting it - Win2K is a gone'er, already! (sob. . .)

Darned true. 2k was mighty fine indeed.

John Barnes

Strange, since the software was 2 years behind the hardware and if I recall
even Linux 64 beat it. There is virtually no installed base, so who is
going to do anything to fix anything that already doesn't work on x64 when
Vista is only a few months away.
Incidentally, one more nail in the coffin of 64-bit operating systems is
that computers are going to start shipping as early as October with coupons
to upgrade XP to Vista. Since there is no direct upgrade from x64 to Vista
64, what computer maker is going to ship anything but XP86 adding to the
64-bit OS woes. One thing that makes Vista64 even feasable is that so many
old programs (as of beta2) won't even install on Vista 86 so new computer
buyers (after it ships) will have to buy mostly ALL NEW software anyway and
all with the Vista logo supposedly will have to run on both versions, though
again maybe all features don't have to work on both. How many months to
years will computer buyers be trying to find replacements for features they
depemd on. Been 1 1/2 years and I still can't replace functions I really
liked on my XP 86 on the x64 I use. At this point some aren't available and
others I don't want to waste the money on in case they won't work on Vista,
if I decide to install it. Still dual booting (though only on XP86 a couple
of times a month).

"Robert" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> >From several sources, there are hardships explaining that x64 is so

> ahead of its time (software-wise) that hardly anything will run on it
> (such as drivers, applications, firewalls, anti-virus') and report that
> once Vista comes out, x64 will be obsolete. Is this somewhat true?
>
> Explain please. Thanks -Rob

Jud Hendrix

On Sun, 13 Aug 2006 05:41:51 -0700, "John Barnes" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

How will the compatibility be of 64-bit drivers for XP64 and Vista 64? Are
they compatible? Are they easy to adapt once they are ready for 64-bit? Or
does Vista have a complete new driver architecture?

jud

Tony Sperling

As I have come to understand it, there will be a new driver architecture
developed for Vista, but the existing internal support for the old
architecture will not be removed right away - so the answer perhaps will be:
"it all depends!" Since driver programing is said to be a bit involved, what
kind of drivers will be developed might be an extension of what we have been
seing with 64bit development. If the new architecture enables a more
economical development, we can bet that all driver development will progress
into that. If the new architecture targets specific functions that will
become standard in the future, then there is some likelihood that it will be
more economic to keep writing the old kind of drivers for as long as
possible instead of having to educate everybody all at once for the new
style.

Then again, since hardly any driver development has been taking place for a
long time, perhaps they was sending everybody back in school, in preparation
for something they didn't really know too much about in the first place,
then hardly any 'old' driver will be issued for much longer. (It's alright
to panic!)

I may be a decent analyzer - but I am known to be wrong!

Tony. . .

"Jud Hendrix" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 13 Aug 2006 05:41:51 -0700, "John Barnes" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> How will the compatibility be of 64-bit drivers for XP64 and Vista 64? Are
> they compatible? Are they easy to adapt once they are ready for 64-bit? Or
> does Vista have a complete new driver architecture?
>
> jud

Charlie Russel - MVP

x64 drivers for Vista and XP are different, but if an XP driver is signed,
it can be used in Vista. Usually without problems. The big change is to get
the driver to 64bits.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Jud Hendrix wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Aug 2006 05:41:51 -0700, "John Barnes" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> How will the compatibility be of 64-bit drivers for XP64 and Vista 64? Are
> they compatible? Are they easy to adapt once they are ready for 64-bit? Or
> does Vista have a complete new driver architecture?
>
> jud

Charlie Russel - MVP

Robert -
There's a useful whitepaper on the Windows XP 64bit web site that I
think should help you decide:
http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...ght_for_Me.doc

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Robert wrote:
>> From several sources, there are hardships explaining that x64 is so

> ahead of its time (software-wise) that hardly anything will run on it
> (such as drivers, applications, firewalls, anti-virus') and report that
> once Vista comes out, x64 will be obsolete. Is this somewhat true?
>
> Explain please. Thanks -Rob

Robert

Very nice article, Charlie. I would recommend letting others use it as
their decision between x86 and x64. Very helpful in making a decision.

Thanks -Rob

OT: Fear the InterNeil FrisbeeŽ MCSE 32 01-24-2006 08:34 PM
FEAR - real world gameplay benchmarks at bit-tech Silverstrand Front Page News 1 11-01-2005 02:22 PM
OT: No more Fear and Loathing Neil MCSE 19 02-25-2005 03:22 PM
I haven't seen the code but I fear that M$ is WATCHING ME!!! charlie MCSD 6 03-02-2004 12:53 PM
Fear of Earthquakes John R. Baker Computer Support 5 10-12-2003 07:31 PM

Advertisments