Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Word XP & Word 2003 broken in X64

Word XP & Word 2003 broken in X64

=?Utf-8?B?c3Jr?=

Amazingly, when I open up Word, all other windows/folders on the desktop (or
those I open up) can no longer be dragged, resized, minimized, etc. in real
time; rather, all of these operations occur quite slowly. This slow-down
does not occur with any other Microsoft 2003 application or with any other
application, for that matter. In addition, when I try to select text in one
other application (Stata), text selection is no longer in real time either.
If I am editing a modest sized document (e.g. 400k), this delay moves from
annoying to debilitating.

My system (Dell Precision 690, two dual-core processors, 8 GB memory, Raptor
boot drive, 3 additional drives in RAID 0) is sufficient to run Word 2003.

Oddly, when I tested WordPefect, there was no problem at all. Then, when WP
converted a Word file, then wrote a Word file, the resulting Word-formatted
file caused only a small effect, as if the file were tiny when it was still
around 400k.

What on earth is happening?

Microsft Support was most unhelpful, except in confirming that yes, there is
a bug. When I emailed this issue to http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (as tech support
suggested), I got laughably inept replies.

Surely I couldn't be the only one to have enountered this problem (?!).

Admiral Q

"srk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Amazingly, when I open up Word, all other windows/folders on the desktop
> (or
> those I open up) can no longer be dragged, resized, minimized, etc. in
> real
> time; rather, all of these operations occur quite slowly. This slow-down
> does not occur with any other Microsoft 2003 application or with any other
> application, for that matter. In addition, when I try to select text in
> one
> other application (Stata), text selection is no longer in real time
> either.
> If I am editing a modest sized document (e.g. 400k), this delay moves from
> annoying to debilitating.
>
> My system (Dell Precision 690, two dual-core processors, 8 GB memory,
> Raptor
> boot drive, 3 additional drives in RAID 0) is sufficient to run Word 2003.
>
> Oddly, when I tested WordPefect, there was no problem at all. Then, when
> WP
> converted a Word file, then wrote a Word file, the resulting
> Word-formatted
> file caused only a small effect, as if the file were tiny when it was
> still
> around 400k.
>
> What on earth is happening?
>
> Microsft Support was most unhelpful, except in confirming that yes, there
> is
> a bug. When I emailed this issue to (E-Mail Removed) (as tech
> support
> suggested), I got laughably inept replies.
>
> Surely I couldn't be the only one to have enountered this problem (?!).

I have Work XP on XP x64 2x2.8Ghz Dual Core Xeons, 8GB memory, 4 137GB SCSI
in RAID 10 on a Precision 670, no issues as you describe. It also dual
boots with 2k3 x64, with Word 2k3, and it also has none of these issues.
Have you tried doing a repair of Office from the Help menu? How about
uninstalling/reinstalling Office?

--
Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your service!

Google is your Friend!
http://www.google.com

=?Utf-8?B?c3Jr?=

Hi Admiral. Well, this is really, really strange. I have already tried to
fix the Office (Word) install, and I have removed and reinstalled the whole
Office suite. The probem remains. One further test would be to install X64
on my "emergency" boot partition (which currently has XP Pro), install just
Office, and see if there is still an issue. As I use vmware with a virtual
XP Pro machine on my main X64 machine, I do not currently "need" the
emergency partition ... unless suddenly the new drives all decide to fail (in
which case I have backups, but that it will not be fun to reinstall).

"Admiral Q" wrote:

> "srk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Amazingly, when I open up Word, all other windows/folders on the desktop
> > (or
> > those I open up) can no longer be dragged, resized, minimized, etc. in
> > real
> > time; rather, all of these operations occur quite slowly. This slow-down
> > does not occur with any other Microsoft 2003 application or with any other
> > application, for that matter. In addition, when I try to select text in
> > one
> > other application (Stata), text selection is no longer in real time
> > either.
> > If I am editing a modest sized document (e.g. 400k), this delay moves from
> > annoying to debilitating.
> >
> > My system (Dell Precision 690, two dual-core processors, 8 GB memory,
> > Raptor
> > boot drive, 3 additional drives in RAID 0) is sufficient to run Word 2003.
> >
> > Oddly, when I tested WordPefect, there was no problem at all. Then, when
> > WP
> > converted a Word file, then wrote a Word file, the resulting
> > Word-formatted
> > file caused only a small effect, as if the file were tiny when it was
> > still
> > around 400k.
> >
> > What on earth is happening?
> >
> > Microsft Support was most unhelpful, except in confirming that yes, there
> > is
> > a bug. When I emailed this issue to (E-Mail Removed) (as tech
> > support
> > suggested), I got laughably inept replies.
> >
> > Surely I couldn't be the only one to have enountered this problem (?!).

> I have Work XP on XP x64 2x2.8Ghz Dual Core Xeons, 8GB memory, 4 137GB SCSI
> in RAID 10 on a Precision 670, no issues as you describe. It also dual
> boots with 2k3 x64, with Word 2k3, and it also has none of these issues.
> Have you tried doing a repair of Office from the Help menu? How about
> uninstalling/reinstalling Office?
>
> --
> Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your service!
>
> Google is your Friend!
> http://www.google.com

Aaron Kelley

You know, you can install an x64 OS in a VMware virtual machine as well (you
could use this for testing instead of killing your "emergency" partition, it
could rule out everything except some really wierd hardware
incompatibility).

- Aaron

> [...]
>> > file caused only a small effect, as if the file were tiny when it was
>> > still
>> > around 400k.
>> >
>> > What on earth is happening?
>> >
>> > Microsft Support was most unhelpful, except in confirming that yes,
>> > there
>> > is
>> > a bug. When I emailed this issue to (E-Mail Removed) (as tech
>> > support
>> > suggested), I got laughably inept replies.
>> >
>> > Surely I couldn't be the only one to have enountered this problem (?!).

>> I have Work XP on XP x64 2x2.8Ghz Dual Core Xeons, 8GB memory, 4 137GB
>> SCSI
>> in RAID 10 on a Precision 670, no issues as you describe. It also dual
>> boots with 2k3 x64, with Word 2k3, and it also has none of these issues.
>> Have you tried doing a repair of Office from the Help menu? How about

=?Utf-8?B?c3Jr?=

You're right, Aaron. Maybe that would be wiser. The thing is, the VM is
already a bit jerky on my system (it cannot use my nvidia drivers), so the
"Word Effect" might not be as obvious as it is now. However, I certainly can
test files that produce outrageously sluggish effects on my main system to
see if they produce comparable effects on the VM x64 system...