Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > program not responding

program not responding

=?Utf-8?B?UkogUmlwdGlkZQ==?=

When opening an attachment or link it will not open all the way or will not
respond to any commcand. I can not close it if it does open and have to hit
ctrl, alt, delete and get task manager and have to end task which is a not
responing program, end now...and I have to start all over from desk top.

What might be possible reason and a fix to it???

=?Utf-8?B?RGVhdGhOQUNhbg==?=

Off the top of my head this could be because for any of the following reasons:
1. There is no or an invalid application registered to open the extention of
the attachment.
2. The of of the temp directories has trash left in it from a previous
failed attempt to open the attachment.
3. The attachment if FUBAR.
4. The attachment has a virus.
5. Your hard drive is fragmented causing memory and or data corruption.
6. Your email program needs to be patched.

For simplicity sake, I would start at the bottom of the list and go up in
troubleshooting.

"RJ Riptide" wrote:

> When opening an attachment or link it will not open all the way or will not
> respond to any commcand. I can not close it if it does open and have to hit
> ctrl, alt, delete and get task manager and have to end task which is a not
> responing program, end now...and I have to start all over from desk top.
>
> What might be possible reason and a fix to it???

=?Utf-8?B?UkogUmlwdGlkZQ==?=

I tried defragging...not sure if this fixed anything or not ,time will
tell...but since this problem does happen while browsing and in the email, on
my laptop but not on the decktop maybe it is related to the temp directories
as you said in #2...How do I get the trash out of there?

"DeathNACan" wrote:

> Off the top of my head this could be because for any of the following reasons:
> 1. There is no or an invalid application registered to open the extention of
> the attachment.
> 2. The of of the temp directories has trash left in it from a previous
> failed attempt to open the attachment.
> 3. The attachment if FUBAR.
> 4. The attachment has a virus.
> 5. Your hard drive is fragmented causing memory and or data corruption.
> 6. Your email program needs to be patched.
>
> For simplicity sake, I would start at the bottom of the list and go up in
> troubleshooting.
>
> "RJ Riptide" wrote:
>
> > When opening an attachment or link it will not open all the way or will not
> > respond to any commcand. I can not close it if it does open and have to hit
> > ctrl, alt, delete and get task manager and have to end task which is a not
> > responing program, end now...and I have to start all over from desk top.
> >
> > What might be possible reason and a fix to it???

=?Utf-8?B?RGVhdGhOQUNhbg==?=

Download CCleaner, it will do the job, it is freeware and spyware free. Be
very carefull how you configure it.

"RJ Riptide" wrote:

> I tried defragging...not sure if this fixed anything or not ,time will
> tell...but since this problem does happen while browsing and in the email, on
> my laptop but not on the decktop maybe it is related to the temp directories
> as you said in #2...How do I get the trash out of there?
>
> "DeathNACan" wrote:
>
> > Off the top of my head this could be because for any of the following reasons:
> > 1. There is no or an invalid application registered to open the extention of
> > the attachment.
> > 2. The of of the temp directories has trash left in it from a previous
> > failed attempt to open the attachment.
> > 3. The attachment if FUBAR.
> > 4. The attachment has a virus.
> > 5. Your hard drive is fragmented causing memory and or data corruption.
> > 6. Your email program needs to be patched.
> >
> > For simplicity sake, I would start at the bottom of the list and go up in
> > troubleshooting.
> >
> > "RJ Riptide" wrote:
> >
> > > When opening an attachment or link it will not open all the way or will not
> > > respond to any commcand. I can not close it if it does open and have to hit
> > > ctrl, alt, delete and get task manager and have to end task which is a not
> > > responing program, end now...and I have to start all over from desk top.
> > >
> > > What might be possible reason and a fix to it???

=?Utf-8?B?UkogUmlwdGlkZQ==?=

Ran my spyware and tried the ccleaner...still the same problem..Any other
ideas???

"DeathNACan" wrote:

> Download CCleaner, it will do the job, it is freeware and spyware free. Be
> very carefull how you configure it.
>
> "RJ Riptide" wrote:
>
> > I tried defragging...not sure if this fixed anything or not ,time will
> > tell...but since this problem does happen while browsing and in the email, on
> > my laptop but not on the decktop maybe it is related to the temp directories
> > as you said in #2...How do I get the trash out of there?
> >
> > "DeathNACan" wrote:
> >
> > > Off the top of my head this could be because for any of the following reasons:
> > > 1. There is no or an invalid application registered to open the extention of
> > > the attachment.
> > > 2. The of of the temp directories has trash left in it from a previous
> > > failed attempt to open the attachment.
> > > 3. The attachment if FUBAR.
> > > 4. The attachment has a virus.
> > > 5. Your hard drive is fragmented causing memory and or data corruption.
> > > 6. Your email program needs to be patched.
> > >
> > > For simplicity sake, I would start at the bottom of the list and go up in
> > > troubleshooting.

=?Utf-8?B?RGVhdGhOQUNhbg==?=

Since you are having problems with both your brower and email client, I am
somewhat willing to suspect either another internet based application causing
a conflict, and IE plug-in, a virus, virus or anti-spyware scanner or some
peice of spyware. Something that is affecting TCP/IP and not actually the
browser and email client. However, assuming you are using the same browser
version and email client verion on both machines, use the Files and Settings
Transfer Wizard to copy your settings from the working machine to the
non-working machine. You might want to start with a clean profile first on
the non-working machine. Before you do, create a new profile on the
non-working machine and configure it. If it fails, then the problem is not
profile related (unless the Default User profile is corrupted) If
successful, then the problem was profile related. Is the client you are
using MS Outlook Express? If so, uninstall, reboot, reinstall and patch and
try again. Also, didnt you mention you were having trouble browsing? Do you
have any third party plug-ins installed? Try running Spybot Search and
Destroy and see what it finds. One other thing, are you running the same
virus scanner on both machines? Are they both updated? Anything that
affects the IO process, drivers, virus scanners can cause memory corruption.
The real time scanners in a lot of the brand name virus scanners can cause a
lot of issues. I use AVG by Grisoft. It has a low memory and processor
footprint and I have never had memory corruption from it Real Time Scanner.
But I do not use the AVG Firewall it is a port of another product and does
not as stable as I would like.

"RJ Riptide" wrote:

> Ran my spyware and tried the ccleaner...still the same problem..Any other
> ideas???
>
> "DeathNACan" wrote:
>
> > Download CCleaner, it will do the job, it is freeware and spyware free. Be
> > very carefull how you configure it.
> >
> > "RJ Riptide" wrote:
> >
> > > I tried defragging...not sure if this fixed anything or not ,time will
> > > tell...but since this problem does happen while browsing and in the email, on
> > > my laptop but not on the decktop maybe it is related to the temp directories
> > > as you said in #2...How do I get the trash out of there?

=?Utf-8?B?UkogUmlwdGlkZQ==?=

DeathNACan,
I read on another thread that many users of MS-IE are having similar
problems. I will take your advise and try it. I will post the results.
THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP!!!!
RJ Riptide

"DeathNACan" wrote:

> Since you are having problems with both your brower and email client, I am
> somewhat willing to suspect either another internet based application causing
> a conflict, and IE plug-in, a virus, virus or anti-spyware scanner or some
> peice of spyware. Something that is affecting TCP/IP and not actually the
> browser and email client. However, assuming you are using the same browser
> version and email client verion on both machines, use the Files and Settings
> Transfer Wizard to copy your settings from the working machine to the
> non-working machine. You might want to start with a clean profile first on
> the non-working machine. Before you do, create a new profile on the
> non-working machine and configure it. If it fails, then the problem is not
> profile related (unless the Default User profile is corrupted) If
> successful, then the problem was profile related. Is the client you are
> using MS Outlook Express? If so, uninstall, reboot, reinstall and patch and
> try again. Also, didnt you mention you were having trouble browsing? Do you
> have any third party plug-ins installed? Try running Spybot Search and
> Destroy and see what it finds. One other thing, are you running the same
> virus scanner on both machines? Are they both updated? Anything that
> affects the IO process, drivers, virus scanners can cause memory corruption.
> The real time scanners in a lot of the brand name virus scanners can cause a
> lot of issues. I use AVG by Grisoft. It has a low memory and processor
> footprint and I have never had memory corruption from it Real Time Scanner.
> But I do not use the AVG Firewall it is a port of another product and does
> not as stable as I would like.
>
> "RJ Riptide" wrote:
>
> > Ran my spyware and tried the ccleaner...still the same problem..Any other
> > ideas???
> >
> > "DeathNACan" wrote:
> >
> > > Download CCleaner, it will do the job, it is freeware and spyware free. Be
> > > very carefull how you configure it.

John Barnes

You can't uninstall Outlook Express (except manually). Add/Remove Windows
components only removes access shortcuts. You can try to rerun the setup
program from the Programs/Outlook Express folder. Don't know what that
does.

"DeathNACan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Since you are having problems with both your brower and email client, I am
> somewhat willing to suspect either another internet based application
> causing
> a conflict, and IE plug-in, a virus, virus or anti-spyware scanner or some
> peice of spyware. Something that is affecting TCP/IP and not actually the
> browser and email client. However, assuming you are using the same
> browser
> version and email client verion on both machines, use the Files and
> Settings
> Transfer Wizard to copy your settings from the working machine to the
> non-working machine. You might want to start with a clean profile first
> on
> the non-working machine. Before you do, create a new profile on the
> non-working machine and configure it. If it fails, then the problem is
> not
> profile related (unless the Default User profile is corrupted) If
> successful, then the problem was profile related. Is the client you are
> using MS Outlook Express? If so, uninstall, reboot, reinstall and patch
> and
> try again. Also, didnt you mention you were having trouble browsing? Do
> you
> have any third party plug-ins installed? Try running Spybot Search and
> Destroy and see what it finds. One other thing, are you running the same
> virus scanner on both machines? Are they both updated? Anything that
> affects the IO process, drivers, virus scanners can cause memory
> corruption.
> The real time scanners in a lot of the brand name virus scanners can cause
> lot of issues. I use AVG by Grisoft. It has a low memory and processor
> footprint and I have never had memory corruption from it Real Time
> Scanner.
> But I do not use the AVG Firewall it is a port of another product and does
> not as stable as I would like.
>
> "RJ Riptide" wrote:
>
>> Ran my spyware and tried the ccleaner...still the same problem..Any other
>> ideas???
>>
>> "DeathNACan" wrote:
>>
>> > Download CCleaner, it will do the job, it is freeware and spyware free.
>> > Be
>> > very carefull how you configure it.

=?Utf-8?B?RGVhdGhOQUNhbg==?=

If I recall, there is a regkey that you can set to fool the OS into thinking
that it is not installed and do a reinstall.