Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > remote desktop

remote desktop

=?Utf-8?B?c3RlcGhlbg==?=

Hi all.
I cant find my remote desktop function in my communications folder. i have
tried installing it as mentioned in the microsoft website, but it's still not
there. If I put my install CD in and go to other tasks there is not one for
creating a remote connection, so how can i install it ?

Robert Klemme

stephen wrote:
> Hi all.
> I cant find my remote desktop function in my communications folder. i have
> tried installing it as mentioned in the microsoft website, but it's still not
> there. If I put my install CD in and go to other tasks there is not one for
> creating a remote connection, so how can i install it ?

It comes preinstalled with your XP Pro. You should be able to create a
shortcut to

%SystemRoot%\system32\mstsc.exe

execute in

%HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH%

HTH

Kind regards

robert

Charlie Russel - MVP

Robert has pointed you to what and where it is, but one further comment - if
you've accidentally posted this question in the 64bit newsgroup, but are
actually running Windows XP Home Edition - there is no remote desktop on
Home Edition. This is an XP Pro function only.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

"Robert Klemme" wrote:

> stephen wrote:
> > Hi all.
> > I cant find my remote desktop function in my communications folder. i have
> > tried installing it as mentioned in the microsoft website, but it's still not
> > there. If I put my install CD in and go to other tasks there is not one for
> > creating a remote connection, so how can i install it ?

> It comes preinstalled with your XP Pro. You should be able to create a
> shortcut to
>
> %SystemRoot%\system32\mstsc.exe
>
> execute in
>
> %HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH%
>
> HTH
>
> Kind regards
>
> robert
> Thanks Robert it did the trick and yes it is x64 bit Charlie (next thread)

=?Utf-8?B?RGVhdGhOQUNhbg==?=

Remote Desktop Support is installed by default. You should be able to access
it by:
Right Click on My Computer
Left Click on Properties on the context menu
Left Click on the Remote tab on the System Properties menu
Left Click one time the check box under Remote Desktop "Allow users to
connect..."
If you are not going to be sending Remote Assistance invitations uncheck the
check box under Remote Assistance labled "Allow Remote Assistance..."

"stephen" wrote:

> Hi all.
> I cant find my remote desktop function in my communications folder. i have
> tried installing it as mentioned in the microsoft website, but it's still not
> there. If I put my install CD in and go to other tasks there is not one for
> creating a remote connection, so how can i install it ?

=?Utf-8?B?RGVhdGhOQUNhbg==?=

The exact executable used to open a connection to a client running remote
desktop is:
%SystemRoot%\system32\mstsc.exe

There are seval command line switchs to this which can be obtained by using
the /? switch. If you are tring to connect to a Windows 2003 server and wish
to use the logon console session you will need to use the following:

/v:[host name:[port address]] /console /f

Example:

/v:OemServer:4096 /console /f

The port address is only required if using a non-default port on the server
otherwise the default of 3389 is used without expression.

The /f will cause the Remote Desktop session to begin in Full Screen mode.

Have fun!