Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Windows 64bit freezing

Reply
Thread Tools

Windows 64bit freezing

 
 
=?Utf-8?B?SmFtZXM=?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-02-2006
Hi

I have been using windows xp 64 bit for about 5 months on a Dell optiplex.

Once a month or so, the system completely locks up and does not all the task
manager to be brought up - the only option is to switch off the power.

As far as I can tell, this happens when I am using Internet explorer;
Outlook express also freezes up and access to the task manager ceases. Other
programs (e.g. dos prompt) continue but everything is incredibly slow.

I have been in touch with Dell technical support and run their hardware
diagnostics; there appears to be nothing with the hardware.

Any ideas? What would cause the task manager to become unavailable

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Jud Hendrix
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-02-2006
On Wed, 2 Aug 2006 09:24:02 -0700, James <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

Sounds like an application with a memory-leak. Sometimes it can take ages
for the Task Manager to show-up, if your system is under full load (out of
memory, and CPU at 100%).

jud
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
=?Utf-8?B?SmFtZXM=?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-02-2006

The machine has 2GB memory and the only applications running were IE and
Outlook express. Probably waited 15 minutes until I turned the power off -
something I am not keen on! It is a pity that Dell machines no longer have
reset switches.

"Jud Hendrix" wrote:

> On Wed, 2 Aug 2006 09:24:02 -0700, James <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> Sounds like an application with a memory-leak. Sometimes it can take ages
> for the Task Manager to show-up, if your system is under full load (out of
> memory, and CPU at 100%).
>
> jud
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
=?Utf-8?B?bG9zdHdvcmQ=?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-03-2006
Ive been using X64 for about a year now, the only thing that freezes it
completly is Yahoo Messenger when a person is closing his web stream... no
luck with Yahoo support.

"James" wrote:

>
> The machine has 2GB memory and the only applications running were IE and
> Outlook express. Probably waited 15 minutes until I turned the power off -
> something I am not keen on! It is a pity that Dell machines no longer have
> reset switches.
>
> "Jud Hendrix" wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 2 Aug 2006 09:24:02 -0700, James <(E-Mail Removed)>
> > wrote:
> >
> > Sounds like an application with a memory-leak. Sometimes it can take ages
> > for the Task Manager to show-up, if your system is under full load (out of
> > memory, and CPU at 100%).
> >
> > jud
> >

 
Reply With Quote
 
Jud Hendrix
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-03-2006
On Thu, 3 Aug 2006 07:40:02 -0700, lostword
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Ive been using X64 for about a year now, the only thing that freezes it
>completly is Yahoo Messenger when a person is closing his web stream... no
>luck with Yahoo support.


Mine had this weird problem yesterday with Premiere Pro 2, where I was
scrubbing material, and then PPro hang, and the only way to kill it, was a
hard-reset, because even after waiting for 15 minutes, Windows couldn't
kill the task. Never had this happen on XP32. But, maybe the wind came from
the right direction, and a little motor-bike past with the right amount of
RF-sparks passed, and somebody in China at that moment typed an e-mail
which started with "Hi", which made PPro hang.

Will find out later if that was the case or not

jud
 
Reply With Quote
 
cat5
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-05-2006
When I come to some web sites, they keep asking me to install adobe flash
player. Mine computer is working smoothly at present. The question is:

What should I do, install adobe player over the old macro flash player? or
uninstalled macro first before install adobe? Would it be better performance
to have adobe?

TIA


 
Reply With Quote
 
Charlie Russel - MVP
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-05-2006
answered in the other thread.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64


cat5 wrote:
> When I come to some web sites, they keep asking me to install adobe flash
> player. Mine computer is working smoothly at present. The question is:
>
> What should I do, install adobe player over the old macro flash player? or
> uninstalled macro first before install adobe? Would it be better
> performance to have adobe?
>
> TIA



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WIN 7 64Bit with HP CP2025dn LaserJet With Windows 7 64bit offline issue Anthony Lisanti Windows 64bit 6 04-01-2010 01:32 PM
can I install win2003 64bit on Intel Xeon 5100 (and mssql2005 64bit) Tarvirdi Windows 64bit 1 11-11-2007 05:48 PM
64bit print server - no 64bit drivers =?Utf-8?B?ZWRoZWFk?= Windows 64bit 1 03-30-2007 09:10 PM
XP 64bit and Vista 64bit questions Charles Chambers Windows 64bit 2 02-20-2007 01:12 AM
Dual boot with Server 2003 64bit and XP 64bit =?Utf-8?B?emltbWVybWE=?= Windows 64bit 8 10-11-2006 03:56 PM



Advertisments