Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Cost of Upgrade Server 2003 x32 to x64

Cost of Upgrade Server 2003 x32 to x64

Adrian

Would someone be able to tell me the cost of upgrading from Windows Server
2003 x32 to Windows Server 2003 x64. We have 2 VLA x32 licences.

Thanks,

Adrian

Charlie Russel - MVP

Check your VL agreement, but I _think_ you can simply replace the 32bit with
a 64bit, without incurring a cost. (except a media cost, potentially.)

That being said, this is something you should discuss with your supplier who
is much more likely to be an expert in the intricacies of MS licensing.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Adrian wrote:
> Would someone be able to tell me the cost of upgrading from Windows Server
> 2003 x32 to Windows Server 2003 x64. We have 2 VLA x32 licences.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Adrian

Adrian

Charlie,

> Check your VL agreement, but I _think_ you can simply replace the 32bit
> with a 64bit, without incurring a cost. (except a media cost,
> potentially.)

Thanks. I was under the impression it was no cost (other than the media) but
I have asked our supplier by email and I have not got a clear answer! I am
going to ring him to discuss it and clarify exactly what he is saying, but I
am not one hundred percent confident that what ever he tells me will be
correct. Hence I thought I would ask here where I imagined someone may have
gone through the same process.

I guess it may end up with a call to Microsoft.

Adrian.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Check your VL agreement, but I _think_ you can simply replace the 32bit
> with a 64bit, without incurring a cost. (except a media cost,
> potentially.)
>
> That being said, this is something you should discuss with your supplier
> who is much more likely to be an expert in the intricacies of MS
> licensing.
>

> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>

> Adrian wrote:
>> Would someone be able to tell me the cost of upgrading from Windows
>> Server
>> 2003 x32 to Windows Server 2003 x64. We have 2 VLA x32 licences.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Adrian

Steve Foster [SBS MVP]

Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:

>Check your VL agreement, but I think you can simply replace the 32bit with
>a 64bit, without incurring a cost. (except a media cost, potentially.)
>
>That being said, this is something you should discuss with your supplier
>who is much more likely to be an expert in the intricacies of MS licensing.

Unlike the retail SKUs, on volume licensing you simply buy "WS2003" and
can deploy x86 or x64 as you see fit. The media kit includes disks for both.

--
Steve Foster [SBS MVP]
---------------------------------------

Adrian

Steve,

Thanks very much for the reply. I will check our media kit.

Adrian.

"Steve Foster [SBS MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:
>
>>Check your VL agreement, but I think you can simply replace the 32bit with
>>a 64bit, without incurring a cost. (except a media cost, potentially.)
>>
>>That being said, this is something you should discuss with your supplier
>>who is much more likely to be an expert in the intricacies of MS
>>licensing.

> Unlike the retail SKUs, on volume licensing you simply buy "WS2003" and
> can deploy x86 or x64 as you see fit. The media kit includes disks for
> both.
>
> --
> Steve Foster [SBS MVP]

Charlie Russel - MVP

That's what I thought, but I don't do VL, so I'm glad to have confirmation.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64