Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Services will not load (No device manager, disk manager, etc...)

Services will not load (No device manager, disk manager, etc...)

=?Utf-8?B?Sm9obmV0ZWM=?=

Hi,

I have loaded a fresh version of x64 on a system. It is the only OS. It runs
fine for a while then at random it loses services. I tried to open device
manager and it shows a blank page. It says the "service cannot be loaded". I
get the same with other services. I have run CHKDSK /r with no change. Any
suggestions? Originally I thought this was a dual boot issue. However, now
that I have wiped the drive and started fresh with just x64, I am lost.

Help!

John

Charlie Russel - MVP

If you shut the machine down, come back in a half hour, and start back up,
is it OK? Or are there still problems.

I'm suspecting a hardware problem, probably heat related. The first place to
look is overall system cooling and memory. I'd start by disabling any
overclocking you might have enabled, and running a thermal diagnostic tool
(most mobo mfgs ship one with their mobo these days on the driver/utility
disk). Also, a good, thorough, memory test. For more on possible testers
and solutions, see my blog:
http://msmvps.com/xperts64/archive/2.../01/64999.aspx

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Johnetec wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have loaded a fresh version of x64 on a system. It is the only OS. It
> runs fine for a while then at random it loses services. I tried to open
> device manager and it shows a blank page. It says the "service cannot be
> loaded". I get the same with other services. I have run CHKDSK /r with no
> change. Any suggestions? Originally I thought this was a dual boot issue.
> However, now that I have wiped the drive and started fresh with just x64,
> I am lost.
>
> Help!
>
> John

=?Utf-8?B?Sm9obmV0ZWM=?=

Charlie,

I will check on the temp. I had thought everything was within limits. This
was the firxt 64 bit and x64 system I had built. Can you tell what the
acceptable heat limits are for the CPU? Maybe I did not read that right.

THX for you response.

"Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:

> If you shut the machine down, come back in a half hour, and start back up,
> is it OK? Or are there still problems.
>
> I'm suspecting a hardware problem, probably heat related. The first place to
> look is overall system cooling and memory. I'd start by disabling any
> overclocking you might have enabled, and running a thermal diagnostic tool
> (most mobo mfgs ship one with their mobo these days on the driver/utility
> disk). Also, a good, thorough, memory test. For more on possible testers
> and solutions, see my blog:
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64/archive/2.../01/64999.aspx
>

> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>

> Johnetec wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have loaded a fresh version of x64 on a system. It is the only OS. It
> > runs fine for a while then at random it loses services. I tried to open
> > device manager and it shows a blank page. It says the "service cannot be
> > loaded". I get the same with other services. I have run CHKDSK /r with no
> > change. Any suggestions? Originally I thought this was a dual boot issue.
> > However, now that I have wiped the drive and started fresh with just x64,
> > I am lost.
> >
> > Help!
> >
> > John

Charlie Russel - MVP

I'm not sure what temperature a CPU is considered overheated, but I never
like to see mine above the mid 40's. And the behaviour of my server since I
put it in a new case with better cooling is definitely more stable. The CPU
there never goes over the upper 30's.

(I'm sure someone will jump in here and say they're running in the 50's with
no problems. As always, YMMV.)

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Johnetec wrote:
> Charlie,
>
> I will check on the temp. I had thought everything was within limits. This
> was the firxt 64 bit and x64 system I had built. Can you tell what the
> acceptable heat limits are for the CPU? Maybe I did not read that right.
>
> THX for you response.

> "Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:
>
>> If you shut the machine down, come back in a half hour, and start back
>> up, is it OK? Or are there still problems.
>>
>> I'm suspecting a hardware problem, probably heat related. The first
>> place to look is overall system cooling and memory. I'd start by
>> disabling any overclocking you might have enabled, and running a thermal
>> diagnostic tool (most mobo mfgs ship one with their mobo these days on
>> the driver/utility disk). Also, a good, thorough, memory test. For more
>> on possible testers and solutions, see my blog:
>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64/archive/2.../01/64999.aspx
>>

>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>>

>> Johnetec wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have loaded a fresh version of x64 on a system. It is the only OS. It
>>> runs fine for a while then at random it loses services. I tried to open
>>> device manager and it shows a blank page. It says the "service cannot be
>>> loaded". I get the same with other services. I have run CHKDSK /r with
>>> no change. Any suggestions? Originally I thought this was a dual boot
>>> issue. However, now that I have wiped the drive and started fresh with
>>> just x64, I am lost.
>>>
>>> Help!
>>>
>>> John

Tony Sperling

I am quite sure that the temp. is 45 degrees for a specific room temperature
and airvolume that I cannot remember. These are the test parameters and may
not be directly transferable to an average room in an average appartment.
This test room is probably bigger, which means your CPU should probably run
colder.

I've had typical figures of 49 degrees and rising to 54 when working
harder - one game, with one card pushed it to 70 degrees which was when the
system turned itself off. And this is probably the real critical figure, but
then it is critical.

Going somewhat above the safe temperature is probably not immediately
dangerous for the equipment in any way, but it will shorten the CPU's life +
it runs faster when colder, so we are quite naturally interested in the
environmental status?

Of course, for the tech people the critical point is when the system as a
whole [may] stop being stable, the event window is probably quite wide but
the bottom line is that when hot - anything may happen.

Personally, I start thinking about this if the air that escapes through the
vents seems hotter than my breath, then I check both front and back to be
sure, and make investigations on what can be done about it.

Tony. . .

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm not sure what temperature a CPU is considered overheated, but I never
> like to see mine above the mid 40's. And the behaviour of my server since

> put it in a new case with better cooling is definitely more stable. The

CPU
> there never goes over the upper 30's.
>
> (I'm sure someone will jump in here and say they're running in the 50's

with
> no problems. As always, YMMV.)
>

> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>

> Johnetec wrote:
> > Charlie,
> >
> > I will check on the temp. I had thought everything was within limits.

This
> > was the firxt 64 bit and x64 system I had built. Can you tell what the
> > acceptable heat limits are for the CPU? Maybe I did not read that right.
> >
> > THX for you response.

> > "Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:
> >
> >> If you shut the machine down, come back in a half hour, and start back
> >> up, is it OK? Or are there still problems.
> >>
> >> I'm suspecting a hardware problem, probably heat related. The first
> >> place to look is overall system cooling and memory. I'd start by
> >> disabling any overclocking you might have enabled, and running a

thermal
> >> diagnostic tool (most mobo mfgs ship one with their mobo these days on
> >> the driver/utility disk). Also, a good, thorough, memory test. For

more
> >> on possible testers and solutions, see my blog:
> >> http://msmvps.com/xperts64/archive/2.../01/64999.aspx
> >>

> >> --
> >> Charlie.
> >> http://msmvps.com/xperts64

It

open

be

Charlie Russel - MVP

Thanks for the specific details. I'm with you on what I want to see for
actual temp in the real world. The only exception for me is laptops, where I
expect the heat coming out to be a bit more.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Tony Sperling wrote:
> I am quite sure that the temp. is 45 degrees for a specific room
> temperature and airvolume that I cannot remember. These are the test
> parameters and may not be directly transferable to an average room in an
> average appartment. This test room is probably bigger, which means your
> CPU should probably run colder.
>
> I've had typical figures of 49 degrees and rising to 54 when working
> harder - one game, with one card pushed it to 70 degrees which was when
> the system turned itself off. And this is probably the real critical
> figure, but then it is critical.
>
> Going somewhat above the safe temperature is probably not immediately
> dangerous for the equipment in any way, but it will shorten the CPU's
> life + it runs faster when colder, so we are quite naturally interested
> in the environmental status?
>
> Of course, for the tech people the critical point is when the system as a
> whole [may] stop being stable, the event window is probably quite wide but
> the bottom line is that when hot - anything may happen.
>
> Personally, I start thinking about this if the air that escapes through
> the vents seems hotter than my breath, then I check both front and back
> to be sure, and make investigations on what can be done about it.
>

> Tony. . .

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I'm not sure what temperature a CPU is considered overheated, but I never
>> like to see mine above the mid 40's. And the behaviour of my server
>> since I put it in a new case with better cooling is definitely more
>> stable. The CPU there never goes over the upper 30's.
>>
>> (I'm sure someone will jump in here and say they're running in the 50's
>> with no problems. As always, YMMV.)
>>

>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>>

>> Johnetec wrote:
>>> Charlie,
>>>
>>> I will check on the temp. I had thought everything was within limits.
>>> This was the firxt 64 bit and x64 system I had built. Can you tell what
>>> the acceptable heat limits are for the CPU? Maybe I did not read that
>>> right.
>>>
>>> THX for you response.

John Barnes

Charlie's numbers are probably very conservative, but very acievable. I
almost never get above the mid 30's cpu and the chipset may reach 39, and
that is with the cooling fan not working as I haven't had time to replace it
for the third time. I do have a side fan which blows on the cpu, chipset
and memory.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm not sure what temperature a CPU is considered overheated, but I never
> like to see mine above the mid 40's. And the behaviour of my server since
> I put it in a new case with better cooling is definitely more stable. The
> CPU there never goes over the upper 30's.
>
> (I'm sure someone will jump in here and say they're running in the 50's
> with no problems. As always, YMMV.)
>

> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>

> Johnetec wrote:
>> Charlie,
>>
>> I will check on the temp. I had thought everything was within limits.
>> This
>> was the firxt 64 bit and x64 system I had built. Can you tell what the
>> acceptable heat limits are for the CPU? Maybe I did not read that right.
>>
>> THX for you response.

>> "Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:
>>
>>> If you shut the machine down, come back in a half hour, and start back
>>> up, is it OK? Or are there still problems.
>>>
>>> I'm suspecting a hardware problem, probably heat related. The first
>>> place to look is overall system cooling and memory. I'd start by
>>> disabling any overclocking you might have enabled, and running a thermal
>>> diagnostic tool (most mobo mfgs ship one with their mobo these days on
>>> the driver/utility disk). Also, a good, thorough, memory test. For more
>>> on possible testers and solutions, see my blog:
>>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64/archive/2.../01/64999.aspx
>>>

>>> --
>>> Charlie.
>>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Tony Sperling

Quite true, Charlie. But that doesn't mean that we should expect the CPU
temp to be significantly higher, it runs in a smaller space and if it is
well designed the hotter exhaust wouldn't have to mean a hotter CPU. A big
fat Desktop has a volume of 35 - 40 liter of air in constant motion, whereas
the laptop blows out a concentrated jet of hot air.

I can't say that I've checked the temperature on my laptop regularly, but
right at the beginning I was interested and the figures where pretty normal
as I remember. What I have noticed - is that it seemed slightly hotter when
on batteries. Meaning, perhaps, that the ventilation is more reliable when
socketed. Might be worth checking when moving around on a hot day?

Mine stays at home almost all the time.

Tony. . .

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks for the specific details. I'm with you on what I want to see for
> actual temp in the real world. The only exception for me is laptops, where

> expect the heat coming out to be a bit more.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>

> Tony Sperling wrote:
> > I am quite sure that the temp. is 45 degrees for a specific room
> > temperature and airvolume that I cannot remember. These are the test
> > parameters and may not be directly transferable to an average room in an
> > average appartment. This test room is probably bigger, which means your
> > CPU should probably run colder.
> >
> > I've had typical figures of 49 degrees and rising to 54 when working
> > harder - one game, with one card pushed it to 70 degrees which was when
> > the system turned itself off. And this is probably the real critical
> > figure, but then it is critical.
> >
> > Going somewhat above the safe temperature is probably not immediately
> > dangerous for the equipment in any way, but it will shorten the CPU's
> > life + it runs faster when colder, so we are quite naturally interested
> > in the environmental status?
> >
> > Of course, for the tech people the critical point is when the system as

> > whole [may] stop being stable, the event window is probably quite wide

but
> > the bottom line is that when hot - anything may happen.
> >
> > Personally, I start thinking about this if the air that escapes through
> > the vents seems hotter than my breath, then I check both front and back
> > to be sure, and make investigations on what can be done about it.
> >

> > Tony. . .
> >

> > "Charlie Russel - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> I'm not sure what temperature a CPU is considered overheated, but I

never
> >> like to see mine above the mid 40's. And the behaviour of my server
> >> since I put it in a new case with better cooling is definitely more
> >> stable. The CPU there never goes over the upper 30's.
> >>
> >> (I'm sure someone will jump in here and say they're running in the 50's
> >> with no problems. As always, YMMV.)
> >>

> >> --
> >> Charlie.
> >> http://msmvps.com/xperts64

what

back

these

test.

Colin Barnhorst

Try running a Core Duo in a MacBook Pro. Temps in the range of 180 F.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Quite true, Charlie. But that doesn't mean that we should expect the CPU
> temp to be significantly higher, it runs in a smaller space and if it is
> well designed the hotter exhaust wouldn't have to mean a hotter CPU. A big
> fat Desktop has a volume of 35 - 40 liter of air in constant motion,
> whereas
> the laptop blows out a concentrated jet of hot air.
>
> I can't say that I've checked the temperature on my laptop regularly, but
> right at the beginning I was interested and the figures where pretty
> normal
> as I remember. What I have noticed - is that it seemed slightly hotter
> when
> on batteries. Meaning, perhaps, that the ventilation is more reliable when
> socketed. Might be worth checking when moving around on a hot day?
>
> Mine stays at home almost all the time.
>

> Tony. . .

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Thanks for the specific details. I'm with you on what I want to see for
>> actual temp in the real world. The only exception for me is laptops,
>> where

>> expect the heat coming out to be a bit more.
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>>

>> Tony Sperling wrote:
>> > I am quite sure that the temp. is 45 degrees for a specific room
>> > temperature and airvolume that I cannot remember. These are the test
>> > parameters and may not be directly transferable to an average room in
>> > an
>> > average appartment. This test room is probably bigger, which means your
>> > CPU should probably run colder.
>> >
>> > I've had typical figures of 49 degrees and rising to 54 when working
>> > harder - one game, with one card pushed it to 70 degrees which was when
>> > the system turned itself off. And this is probably the real critical
>> > figure, but then it is critical.
>> >
>> > Going somewhat above the safe temperature is probably not immediately
>> > dangerous for the equipment in any way, but it will shorten the CPU's
>> > life + it runs faster when colder, so we are quite naturally interested
>> > in the environmental status?
>> >
>> > Of course, for the tech people the critical point is when the system as

>> > whole [may] stop being stable, the event window is probably quite wide

> but
>> > the bottom line is that when hot - anything may happen.
>> >
>> > Personally, I start thinking about this if the air that escapes through
>> > the vents seems hotter than my breath, then I check both front and back
>> > to be sure, and make investigations on what can be done about it.
>> >

>> > Tony. . .
>> >

>> > "Charlie Russel - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

> message
>> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> never

> what

> back

> these

> test.

Tony Sperling

Logaritm head math is not my strenght, but 100F's is 38C's and 200 isn't 76,
but that has to be over 60C's?

You need a fluid helium cooler!

Tony. . .

news:%237%231P$(E-Mail Removed)...