Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Problems setting up guest os using VMware Workstation

Problems setting up guest os using VMware Workstation

Ed

Hi,

A few weeks ago I bought a new AMD Athlon X2 4600 64-bit system (and 2
GB ddr2 ram), I can run 99% of 32-bit software that I have, problem is
that cannot use scanner or printer (neither manufacturer supports
64bit). I'm using Windows XP Pro 64-bit.

Anyways, read on the forums people suggesting creating a virtual
server. I got a copy of VMware Workstation and I followed the
instructions to install Windows ME on the guest system. I follow the
steps, looks like it is installing but then goes to the a: prompt. One
time I got the Windows ME install page but then a box pops up saying
you can't install windows ME using this version - please contact the
manufacturer of your computer (I am using a dell OEM Windows ME cd). I
can't understand it because it's a full version. Anyways I download an
ISO image of Windows ME, edit the settings to point to the ISO image on
the hard drive and I still can't get it to install.

I ran fdisk at the a: prompt and created a 20 gb partition, but when I
restart and try to install again, it says windows me requires 15 gb
space on c drive!

My previous computer is a dell dimension desktop.

Would someone please help me? Please explain to me in workstation for
dummies language - I checked the vmware site and the manual and neither
are helpful.

Thanks!

Ed

John Boy

Ed wrote:
> Hi,
>
> A few weeks ago I bought a new AMD Athlon X2 4600 64-bit system (and 2
> GB ddr2 ram), I can run 99% of 32-bit software that I have, problem is
> that cannot use scanner or printer (neither manufacturer supports
> 64bit). I'm using Windows XP Pro 64-bit.
>
> Anyways, read on the forums people suggesting creating a virtual
> server. I got a copy of VMware Workstation and I followed the
> instructions to install Windows ME on the guest system. I follow the
> steps, looks like it is installing but then goes to the a: prompt. One
> time I got the Windows ME install page but then a box pops up saying
> you can't install windows ME using this version - please contact the
> manufacturer of your computer (I am using a dell OEM Windows ME cd). I
> can't understand it because it's a full version. Anyways I download an
> ISO image of Windows ME, edit the settings to point to the ISO image on
> the hard drive and I still can't get it to install.
>
> I ran fdisk at the a: prompt and created a 20 gb partition, but when I
> restart and try to install again, it says windows me requires 15 gb
> space on c drive!
>
> My previous computer is a dell dimension desktop.
>
> Would someone please help me? Please explain to me in workstation for
> dummies language - I checked the vmware site and the manual and neither
> are helpful.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Ed

A lot of the OEM distributions are locked to the
system. In your case, the CD will only install
on a Dell system, nothing else.

For more information you really should go to the
VMware forums. This is a Microsoft Windows
forum and as such is not geared toward or
focused on non-Microsoft programs.

Charlie Russel - MVP

You will need a _retail_ copy of Windows Me (or other Windows version). Most
OEM copies are locked to their own hardware, and won't work in this
scenario.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Ed wrote:
> Hi,
>
> A few weeks ago I bought a new AMD Athlon X2 4600 64-bit system (and 2
> GB ddr2 ram), I can run 99% of 32-bit software that I have, problem is
> that cannot use scanner or printer (neither manufacturer supports
> 64bit). I'm using Windows XP Pro 64-bit.
>
> Anyways, read on the forums people suggesting creating a virtual
> server. I got a copy of VMware Workstation and I followed the
> instructions to install Windows ME on the guest system. I follow the
> steps, looks like it is installing but then goes to the a: prompt. One
> time I got the Windows ME install page but then a box pops up saying
> you can't install windows ME using this version - please contact the
> manufacturer of your computer (I am using a dell OEM Windows ME cd). I
> can't understand it because it's a full version. Anyways I download an
> ISO image of Windows ME, edit the settings to point to the ISO image on
> the hard drive and I still can't get it to install.
>
> I ran fdisk at the a: prompt and created a 20 gb partition, but when I
> restart and try to install again, it says windows me requires 15 gb
> space on c drive!
>
> My previous computer is a dell dimension desktop.
>
> Would someone please help me? Please explain to me in workstation for
> dummies language - I checked the vmware site and the manual and neither
> are helpful.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Ed

Ed

Thanks alot for the replies.

No wonder! I thought I had been doing something wrong!

My apologies for posting in the wrong group.

Ed

Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:
> You will need a _retail_ copy of Windows Me (or other Windows version). Most
> OEM copies are locked to their own hardware, and won't work in this
> scenario.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>

> Ed wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > A few weeks ago I bought a new AMD Athlon X2 4600 64-bit system (and 2
> > GB ddr2 ram), I can run 99% of 32-bit software that I have, problem is
> > that cannot use scanner or printer (neither manufacturer supports
> > 64bit). I'm using Windows XP Pro 64-bit.
> >
> > Anyways, read on the forums people suggesting creating a virtual
> > server. I got a copy of VMware Workstation and I followed the
> > instructions to install Windows ME on the guest system. I follow the
> > steps, looks like it is installing but then goes to the a: prompt. One
> > time I got the Windows ME install page but then a box pops up saying
> > you can't install windows ME using this version - please contact the
> > manufacturer of your computer (I am using a dell OEM Windows ME cd). I
> > can't understand it because it's a full version. Anyways I download an
> > ISO image of Windows ME, edit the settings to point to the ISO image on
> > the hard drive and I still can't get it to install.
> >
> > I ran fdisk at the a: prompt and created a 20 gb partition, but when I
> > restart and try to install again, it says windows me requires 15 gb
> > space on c drive!
> >
> > My previous computer is a dell dimension desktop.
> >
> > Would someone please help me? Please explain to me in workstation for
> > dummies language - I checked the vmware site and the manual and neither
> > are helpful.
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Ed

roman modic

Hello!

"Ed" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hi,
>
> A few weeks ago I bought a new AMD Athlon X2 4600 64-bit system (and 2
> GB ddr2 ram), I can run 99% of 32-bit software that I have, problem is
> that cannot use scanner or printer (neither manufacturer supports
> 64bit). I'm using Windows XP Pro 64-bit.

What models do you have?

Roman

Ed

roman modic wrote:
> Hello!
>
> "Ed" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> > Hi,
> >
> > A few weeks ago I bought a new AMD Athlon X2 4600 64-bit system (and 2
> > GB ddr2 ram), I can run 99% of 32-bit software that I have, problem is
> > that cannot use scanner or printer (neither manufacturer supports
> > 64bit). I'm using Windows XP Pro 64-bit.

> What models do you have?
>
> Roman

I have an Epson Perfection 3590 scanner and Xerox XE88 workcentre. I
checked both websites (as well as AMD websites)and the drivers for
Windows XP don't work for XP 64-bit. I even called Xerox and the tech
told me that most Xerox printers aren't compatible with XP 64. However
I goto Windows, check their HCL and see that they have tested quite a
few Xerox models and they worked with xp64. I guess mine is just too
old.

roman modic

Hello!

"Ed" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

> I have an Epson Perfection 3590 scanner and Xerox XE88 workcentre. I
> checked both websites (as well as AMD websites)and the drivers for
> Windows XP don't work for XP 64-bit. I even called Xerox and the tech
> told me that most Xerox printers aren't compatible with XP 64. However
> I goto Windows, check their HCL and see that they have tested quite a
> few Xerox models and they worked with xp64. I guess mine is just too old.

This Xerox is Zenographics/Sharp based printer (try to ask them about
x64 support

Very similar driver has Sharp AL-800 series of printers (840/841):
http://www.sharpusa.com/products/Typ...086,20,00.html

HTH, Roman

Ed

Thanks Roman.

I downloaded the driver from the site, but have some difficulty getting
it to work with my printer. I'll give Sharp a call to see if they can
help me out, but not sure because that particular model of their
printer has been discontinued.

Ed