Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Slow program launch with A64 processor

Slow program launch with A64 processor

Viktor Vartsun

Have 2month installed the 64bit edition.1. Booting normally but after logon
window 2min for applying the computer settings, another 2min for applying
the personal settings.

2. Starting Windows Explorer or IE or any other program needs 15sec after
mouseclick to bring up
the window. After that the open window reacts on mouseclicks as normally
expected. But after ~10min repeating same problem

I have admin rights and a powerful hardware AMD Venice 3000+, Asus A8N,
512MB PC3200, Seagate 80GB SATA etc. So there should not be a reduction. I
test the trial 32bit Vista Beta version in same computer and this works
perfectly.Does anyone recognize similiar behavior? Any ideas?

DP

I do have a slow bootup process as well. I'd say from power on until I can
actually use the machine is 3 minutes or longer. Part of that, though, is
due to the fact that Avast antivirus always checks for updates on boot.
I'm using two hard drives for a total of about 170 gigs. Does Windows have
to do some kind of scan of both drives to find all the stuff associated with
desktop icons when it boots? Maybe that's part of my problem.

I don't have a problem with slow program starts.

"Viktor Vartsun" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Have 2month installed the 64bit edition.1. Booting normally but after
> logon window 2min for applying the computer settings, another 2min for
> applying
> the personal settings.
>
> 2. Starting Windows Explorer or IE or any other program needs 15sec after
> mouseclick to bring up
> the window. After that the open window reacts on mouseclicks as normally
> expected. But after ~10min repeating same problem
>
> I have admin rights and a powerful hardware AMD Venice 3000+, Asus A8N,
> 512MB PC3200, Seagate 80GB SATA etc. So there should not be a reduction. I
> test the trial 32bit Vista Beta version in same computer and this works
> perfectly.Does anyone recognize similiar behavior? Any ideas?

=?Utf-8?B?amFubWFuX2Rr?=

"DP" wrote:

> I do have a slow bootup process as well. I'd say from power on until I can
> actually use the machine is 3 minutes or longer. Part of that, though, is
> due to the fact that Avast antivirus always checks for updates on boot.
> I'm using two hard drives for a total of about 170 gigs. Does Windows have
> to do some kind of scan of both drives to find all the stuff associated with
> desktop icons when it boots? Maybe that's part of my problem.
>
> I don't have a problem with slow program starts.

A slow boot could also be caused by having USB devices mounted; see this
thread
http://forum.msi.com.tw/index.php?topic=80294.0

mikeyhsd

delete the contents of the PREFETCH folder and reboot.
not the folder just the contents.
it under WINDOWS.

microsoft keeps tabs on everything you run.
the system is chasing its tail trying to find things that are no longer there.
when you uninstall programs they are NOT removed from the prefetch folder and the AUTO timed removal frequently does not work.

"Viktor Vartsun" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
Have 2month installed the 64bit edition.1. Booting normally but after logon
window 2min for applying the computer settings, another 2min for applying
the personal settings.

2. Starting Windows Explorer or IE or any other program needs 15sec after
mouseclick to bring up
the window. After that the open window reacts on mouseclicks as normally
expected. But after ~10min repeating same problem

I have admin rights and a powerful hardware AMD Venice 3000+, Asus A8N,
512MB PC3200, Seagate 80GB SATA etc. So there should not be a reduction. I
test the trial 32bit Vista Beta version in same computer and this works
perfectly.Does anyone recognize similiar behavior? Any ideas?

=?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=

I finally decided to go for a fresh install and everything runs quicker now.
Avast Antivirus is still there but it doesn't extend boot time at all.
Carlos

"DP" wrote:

> I do have a slow bootup process as well. I'd say from power on until I can
> actually use the machine is 3 minutes or longer. Part of that, though, is
> due to the fact that Avast antivirus always checks for updates on boot.
> I'm using two hard drives for a total of about 170 gigs. Does Windows have
> to do some kind of scan of both drives to find all the stuff associated with
> desktop icons when it boots? Maybe that's part of my problem.
>
> I don't have a problem with slow program starts.
>

> "Viktor Vartsun" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Have 2month installed the 64bit edition.1. Booting normally but after
> > logon window 2min for applying the computer settings, another 2min for
> > applying
> > the personal settings.
> >
> > 2. Starting Windows Explorer or IE or any other program needs 15sec after
> > mouseclick to bring up
> > the window. After that the open window reacts on mouseclicks as normally
> > expected. But after ~10min repeating same problem
> >
> > I have admin rights and a powerful hardware AMD Venice 3000+, Asus A8N,
> > 512MB PC3200, Seagate 80GB SATA etc. So there should not be a reduction. I
> > test the trial 32bit Vista Beta version in same computer and this works
> > perfectly.Does anyone recognize similiar behavior? Any ideas?

DP

"janman_dk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> A slow boot could also be caused by having USB devices mounted; see this
> thread
> http://forum.msi.com.tw/index.php?topic=80294.0

Thanks, but that looks like it might be specific to MSI boards?

DP

I tried that but it didn't help. Thanks for the suggestion.

My system was running with an 80 gig WD drive.
Then I added a Maxtor 100 GB drive.
That's when it seems like the boot time really lenghtened, so I was wondering if Windows was polling that drive on startup. I have not gone back to try to unhook the Maxtor to see if that helps.
Both drives are using SATA.

"mikeyhsd" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
delete the contents of the PREFETCH folder and reboot.
not the folder just the contents.
it under WINDOWS.

microsoft keeps tabs on everything you run.
the system is chasing its tail trying to find things that are no longer there.
when you uninstall programs they are NOT removed from the prefetch folder and the AUTO timed removal frequently does not work.

(E-Mail Removed)

"Viktor Vartsun" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
Have 2month installed the 64bit edition.1. Booting normally but after logon
window 2min for applying the computer settings, another 2min for applying
the personal settings.

2. Starting Windows Explorer or IE or any other program needs 15sec after
mouseclick to bring up
the window. After that the open window reacts on mouseclicks as normally
expected. But after ~10min repeating same problem

I have admin rights and a powerful hardware AMD Venice 3000+, Asus A8N,
512MB PC3200, Seagate 80GB SATA etc. So there should not be a reduction. I
test the trial 32bit Vista Beta version in same computer and this works
perfectly.Does anyone recognize similiar behavior? Any ideas?

Tony Sperling

If your BIOS have support for IDE and SATA and the options are separated,
you could have a considerable boost from disabling support for whatever you
don't have. For some early chipsets I would recommend re-installation if you
go from IDE only to adding a SATA later and having problems.

Actually, disabling support in the BIOS for anything you don't have is very
efficient.

Removing Icons you don't use from the Desktop/QuickLaunch and SystemTray
might be good too. The fewer - the better!

Tony. . .

news:ePS$(E-Mail Removed)...