Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > code signing for 64-bit Windows

code signing for 64-bit Windows

=?Utf-8?B?VGhhbmcgTmd1eWVu?=

Hi,

I hope to get an answer/direction on how to have my 64-bit kernel driver
digitally signed for Windows Vista (and other 64 bit Windows such as 64 bit
Windows XP and Windows 2003 server platform). This is not for test signing.
The signing program I am looking for is known as Publisher Identiy
Certificate (Microsoft authenticode).

I did not have much luck with VeriSign since they told me that they do not
have a 64-bit code signing solution. Below is my online log with a VeriSign
rep.
I would like a confirmation from MS if this is true. If so, what steps do I
need to take in order to have my drivers digitally signed for 64-bit windows?
Thanks much.

======= online log ======
Please wait while we find a representative to assist you.
Welcome to Verisign you are now speaking with Doreen . How may I help you?
Doreen : Hello
Customer: Hi,
Customer: Just wanted to know if VeriSign supports code signing for Windows
Vista?
Customer: From the website, it only mentions about 32-bit exe, etc, what
about 64-bit kernel drivers (for Windows Vista, and other 64-bit Windows
platforms)?
Doreen : one moment
Doreen : I am asking a colleague
Doreen : Ok my colleague is telling me that the Microsoft Authenticode
Digital ID will sign VISA but we do not have a 64-bit code signing solution
Doreen : I mean VISTA
Customer: Can you also ask whether the price listed on the website
(CodeSigner stanard) is per platform, or per kernel driver?
Doreen : The prices are based on years We offer 1 year for $499, 2 Years for
$895 and 3 Years for $1,295
Customer: Also, back to your previous answer. Does that mean we can not sign
any kernel driver written for 64-bit Windows (64-bit Windows Vista, 64-bit
Windows XP, and other 64-bit Windows 2003 Server platform)
Doreen : Yes that is my understanding, however, I am not technical and I
would be happy to transfer you to our technical support team and maybe they
can assist you better
Customer: Please do. Thanks
Doreen has left the session.
Please wait while we find an agent from the VRSN Technical Support US
department to assist you.
All agents are currently busy. Please stand by.
You have been connected to Kris .
Kris : How may I help you today?
Customer: Hi Kris - can you see previous log (our conversion about code
sigining for 64-bit Windows)
Kris : Yes, I can.
Customer: Does that mean we can not sign any kernel driver written for
64-bit Windows (64-bit Windows Vista, 64-bit Windows XP, and other 64-bit
Windows 2003 Server platform)
Kris : Unfortunately, we have not been able to test our Code signing ID on
signing kernel driver for VISTA and MS has not given us any confirmation as
well.
Kris : Currently, Microsoft states to their self signed certificate.
Customer: OK, how about 64-bit Windows XP and other 64 bit Windows
Customer: 64-bit Windows XP and 64-bit Windows Server 2003 have been
released, do you think what you mentioned above applied to these OS(es) as
well??
Kris : Correct, we have not received any confirmation from MS our ID will
work for 64 bit kernel drivers.
Customer: Do you by chance have an estimate when you will be able to support
this?
Kris : I've been speaking with some of the lev2 representatives. Currently,
there is no ETA. We are still waiting confirmation from MS engineers.
Customer: Ok. Thanks for your information.
Kris : Thank you for visiting. Have a great day.
Thank you for using VeriSign Live Chat. You may now end your session by
clicking on "End Session".
Your session has ended. You may now close this window.

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello,
Let me check on this.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

--------------------
<From: =?Utf-8?B?VGhhbmcgTmd1eWVu?= <(E-Mail Removed)>
<Subject: code signing for 64-bit Windows
<Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 17:08:01 -0700
<Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
<
<Hi,
<
[...]

Still waiting to get back a answer.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

--------------------
<From: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) ("Darrell Gorter[MSFT]")
<Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 01:45:54 GMT
<Subject: RE: code signing for 64-bit Windows
<Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
<<From: =?Utf-8?B?VGhhbmcgTmd1eWVu?= <(E-Mail Removed)>
<<Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 17:08:01 -0700
<<Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
<<
<<Hi,
<<
[...]

=?Utf-8?B?Qmxha2UgSGVucnk=?=

I just tried to do the same thing and got the same answer...nobody knows
what's going on. They're trying to figure out if Authenticode will work.

Pardon me for questioning the premise, I don't understand why the code
security problem can only be solved by requiring developers to buy a number.
Seems to me that MSFT could validate the publishers by their MS Passport
accounts and autogenerate certificates on the website. What's wrong with
that?

And yes, please use this suggestion freely to improve the product.

Blake Henry

""Darrell Gorter[MSFT]"" wrote:

> [...]
> <<released, do you think what you mentioned above applied to these OS(es)
> as
> <<well??
> <<Kris : Correct, we have not received any confirmation from MS our ID will
> <<work for 64 bit kernel drivers.
> <<Customer: Do you by chance have an estimate when you will be able to
> <support
> <<this?
> <<Kris : I've been speaking with some of the lev2 representatives.
> <Currently,
> <<there is no ETA. We are still waiting confirmation from MS engineers.
> <<Customer: Ok. Thanks for your information.
> <<Kris : Thank you for visiting. Have a great day.
> <<Thank you for using VeriSign Live Chat. You may now end your session by
> <<clicking on "End Session".
> <<Your session has ended. You may now close this window.

=?Utf-8?B?Qmxha2UgSGVucnk=?=

I just tried the same thing and got a similar result...nobody knows what's
going on.

Pardon me for questioning the premise, but why can't this be done without a
3rd party? I would think that MSFT can validate legitimate software
publishers using the MS Passport or Partner status and autogenerate code
certificates on the web site. It sure would help the transition to Vista/x64
and I believe would be good for business in general.

Blake Henry

""Darrell Gorter[MSFT]"" wrote:

> [...]
> <<released, do you think what you mentioned above applied to these OS(es)
> as
> <<well??
> <<Kris : Correct, we have not received any confirmation from MS our ID will
> <<work for 64 bit kernel drivers.
> <<Customer: Do you by chance have an estimate when you will be able to
> <support
> <<this?
> <<Kris : I've been speaking with some of the lev2 representatives.
> <Currently,
> <<there is no ETA. We are still waiting confirmation from MS engineers.
> <<Customer: Ok. Thanks for your information.
> <<Kris : Thank you for visiting. Have a great day.
> <<Thank you for using VeriSign Live Chat. You may now end your session by
> <<clicking on "End Session".
> <<Your session has ended. You may now close this window.

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello,
Finally got an answer back on this.
The confusion may come from the request about:
<<< The signing program I am looking for is known as Publisher Identiy
<<<Certificate (Microsoft authenticode)
This is no longer an option. This was dropped prior to beta 2.
You simply need a code signing digital ID.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

--------------------
<From: (E-Mail Removed) ("Darrell Gorter[MSFT]")
<Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 18:47:23 GMT
<Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
<<From: (E-Mail Removed) ("Darrell Gorter[MSFT]")
<<Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 01:45:54 GMT
<<Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
<<<From: =?Utf-8?B?VGhhbmcgTmd1eWVu?=
<(E-Mail Removed)>
<<<Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 17:08:01 -0700
<<<Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
<<<
<<<Hi,
<<<
[...]

Hi Darrel,

So I presume that a "code signing digital ID" is the same thing as an SPC as
described here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...076710.xml.asp

I called both GeoTrust and Verisign and asked how to purchase an SPC and
neither one of them knew what I was talking about. They asked me if I needed
an 'Authenticode' ID.

Can you find a contact that can help me follow through on this?

If Verisign and GeoTrust aren't responsive enough, our company would be
happy to help sell these SPCs for you right now.

Thanks,
Blake

""Darrell Gorter[MSFT]"" wrote:

> [...]
> <as
> <<<well??
> <<<Kris : Correct, we have not received any confirmation from MS our ID
> will
> <<<work for 64 bit kernel drivers.
> <<<Customer: Do you by chance have an estimate when you will be able to
> <<support
> <<<this?
> <<<Kris : I've been speaking with some of the lev2 representatives.
> <<Currently,
> <<<there is no ETA. We are still waiting confirmation from MS engineers.
> <<<Customer: Ok. Thanks for your information.
> <<<Kris : Thank you for visiting. Have a great day.
> <<<Thank you for using VeriSign Live Chat. You may now end your session by
> <<<clicking on "End Session".
> <<<Your session has ended. You may now close this window.

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello Blake,
This is the link I was pointed to on Versign's website:
http://www.verisign.com/products-ser...de-signing/dig
ital-ids-code-signing/index.html

Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

--------------------
<From: =?Utf-8?B?Qmxha2UgSGVucnk=?= <(E-Mail Removed)>
<Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 22:06:02 -0700
<Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
<
<Hi Darrel,
<
<So I presume that a "code signing digital ID" is the same thing as an SPC
as
<described here:
<
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...us/devinst_d/h
h/DevInst_d/Driver-Signing-over_e678d4c9-f1ed-41b8-b179-88c1fd076710.xml.asp
<
<""Darrell Gorter[MSFT]"" wrote:
<
<> Hello,
<> Finally got an answer back on this.
<> The confusion may come from the request about:
<> <<< The signing program I am looking for is known as Publisher Identiy
<> <<<Certificate (Microsoft authenticode)
<> This is no longer an option. This was dropped prior to beta 2.
<> You simply need a code signing digital ID.
<> Thanks,
<> Darrell Gorter[MSFT]
<>
<> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights
<> --------------------
<> <From: (E-Mail Removed) ("Darrell Gorter[MSFT]")
<> <Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 18:47:23 GMT
<> <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
<> <
<> <Hello,
<> <Still waiting to get back a answer.
<> <Thanks,
<> <Darrell Gorter[MSFT]
<> <
<> <This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights
<> <--------------------
<> <<X-Tomcat-ID: 44996513
<> <<References: <(E-Mail Removed)>
<> <<MIME-Version: 1.0
<> <<Content-Type: text/plain
<> <<Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
<> <<From: (E-Mail Removed) ("Darrell Gorter[MSFT]")
<> <<Organization: Microsoft
<> <<Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 01:45:54 GMT
<> <<Subject: RE: code signing for 64-bit Windows
<> <<X-Tomcat-NG: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
<> <<Message-ID: <(E-Mail Removed)>
<> <<Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
<> <<Lines: 122
<> <<Path: TK2MSFTNGXA01.phx.gbl
<> <<Xref: TK2MSFTNGXA01.phx.gbl
microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general:37820
<> <<NNTP-Posting-Host: tomcatimport2.phx.gbl 10.201.218.182
<> <<
<> <<Hello,
<> <<Let me check on this.
<> <<Thanks,
<> <<Darrell Gorter[MSFT]
<> <<
<> <<This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights
<> <<--------------------
<> <<<Thread-Topic: code signing for 64-bit Windows
<> <<<thread-index: AcavfmTPRxMwDdmyQcWEXfmQgPxn8A==
<> <<<X-WBNR-Posting-Host: 143.183.121.1
<> <<<From: =?Utf-8?B?VGhhbmcgTmd1eWVu?=
<> <(E-Mail Removed)>
<> <<<Subject: code signing for 64-bit Windows
<> <<<Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 17:08:01 -0700
<> <<<Lines: 75
<> <<<Message-ID: <(E-Mail Removed)>
<> <<<MIME-Version: 1.0
<> <<<Content-Type: text/plain;
<> <<< charset="Utf-8"
<> <<<Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
<> <<<X-Newsreader: Microsoft CDO for Windows 2000
<> <<<Content-Class: urn:content-classes:message
<> <<<Importance: normal
<> <<<Priority: normal
<> <<<X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.3790.1830
<> <<<Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
<> <<<Path: TK2MSFTNGXA01.phx.gbl
<> <<<Xref: TK2MSFTNGXA01.phx.gbl
microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general:37811
<> <<<NNTP-Posting-Host: TK2MSFTNGXA01.phx.gbl 10.40.2.250
<> <<<X-Tomcat-NG: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
<> <<<
<> <<<Hi,
<> <<<
[...]

Hello Darrell,

I checked out the link and it is for Authenticode IDs. Is that what I need
to purchase to sign my Win64 kernel driver?

Thanks,
Blake

""Darrell Gorter[MSFT]"" wrote:

> [...]
> <> <as
> <> <<<well??
> <> <<<Kris : Correct, we have not received any confirmation from MS our ID
> <> will
> <> <<<work for 64 bit kernel drivers.
> <> <<<Customer: Do you by chance have an estimate when you will be able to
> <> <<support
> <> <<<this?
> <> <<<Kris : I've been speaking with some of the lev2 representatives.
> <> <<Currently,
> <> <<<there is no ETA. We are still waiting confirmation from MS engineers.
> <> <<<Customer: Ok. Thanks for your information.
> <> <<<Kris : Thank you for visiting. Have a great day.
> <> <<<Thank you for using VeriSign Live Chat. You may now end your session
> by
> <> <<<clicking on "End Session".
> <> <<<Your session has ended. You may now close this window.

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello Blake,
That is what I am being told you need for x64 kernel drivers
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

--------------------
<From: =?Utf-8?B?Qmxha2UgSGVucnk=?= <(E-Mail Removed)>
<Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 12:05:01 -0700
<Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
<
<Hello Darrell,
<
<""Darrell Gorter[MSFT]"" wrote:
<
<> Hello Blake,
<> This is the link I was pointed to on Versign's website:
<>
http://www.verisign.com/products-ser...de-signing/dig
<> ital-ids-code-signing/index.html
<>
<> Thanks,
<> Darrell Gorter[MSFT]
<>
<> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights
<> --------------------
<> <From: =?Utf-8?B?Qmxha2UgSGVucnk=?=
<(E-Mail Removed)>
<> <Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 22:06:02 -0700
<> <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
<> <
<> <Hi Darrel,
<> <
[...]
<> <""Darrell Gorter[MSFT]"" wrote:
<> <
<> <> Hello,
<> <> Finally got an answer back on this.
<> <> The confusion may come from the request about:
<> <> <<< The signing program I am looking for is known as Publisher
Identiy
<> <> <<<Certificate (Microsoft authenticode)
<> <> This is no longer an option. This was dropped prior to beta 2.
<> <> You simply need a code signing digital ID.
<> <> Thanks,
<> <> Darrell Gorter[MSFT]
<> <>
<> <> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
<> rights
<> <> --------------------
<> <> <X-Tomcat-ID: 479025059
<> <> <References: <(E-Mail Removed)>
<> <> <(E-Mail Removed)>
<> <> <MIME-Version: 1.0
<> <> <Content-Type: text/plain
<> <> <Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
<> <> <From: (E-Mail Removed) ("Darrell Gorter[MSFT]")
<> <> <Organization: Microsoft
<> <> <Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 18:47:23 GMT
<> <> <Subject: RE: code signing for 64-bit Windows
<> <> <X-Tomcat-NG: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
<> <> <Message-ID: <s#(E-Mail Removed)>
<> <> <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
<> <> <Lines: 147
<> <> <Path: TK2MSFTNGXA01.phx.gbl
<> <> <Xref: TK2MSFTNGXA01.phx.gbl
microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general:37920
<> <> <NNTP-Posting-Host: tomcatimport2.phx.gbl 10.201.218.182
<> <> <
<> <> <--------------------
<> <> <<X-Tomcat-ID: 44996513
<> <> <<References: <(E-Mail Removed)>
<> <> <<MIME-Version: 1.0
<> <> <<Content-Type: text/plain
<> <> <<Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
<> <> <<From: (E-Mail Removed) ("Darrell Gorter[MSFT]")
<> <> <<Organization: Microsoft
<> <> <<Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 01:45:54 GMT
<> <> <<Subject: RE: code signing for 64-bit Windows
<> <> <<X-Tomcat-NG: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
<> <> <<Message-ID: <(E-Mail Removed)>
<> <> <<Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
<> <> <<Lines: 122
<> <> <<Path: TK2MSFTNGXA01.phx.gbl
<> <> <<Xref: TK2MSFTNGXA01.phx.gbl
<> microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general:37820
<> <> <<NNTP-Posting-Host: tomcatimport2.phx.gbl 10.201.218.182
<> <> <<
<> <> <<Hello,
<> <> <<Let me check on this.
<> <> <<Thanks,
<> <> <<Darrell Gorter[MSFT]
<> <> <<
<> <> <<--------------------
<> <> <<<Thread-Topic: code signing for 64-bit Windows
<> <> <<<thread-index: AcavfmTPRxMwDdmyQcWEXfmQgPxn8A==
<> <> <<<X-WBNR-Posting-Host: 143.183.121.1
<> <> <<<From: =?Utf-8?B?VGhhbmcgTmd1eWVu?=
<> <> <(E-Mail Removed)>
<> <> <<<Subject: code signing for 64-bit Windows
<> <> <<<Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 17:08:01 -0700
<> <> <<<Lines: 75
<> <> <<<Message-ID: <(E-Mail Removed)>
<> <> <<<MIME-Version: 1.0
<> <> <<<Content-Type: text/plain;
<> <> <<< charset="Utf-8"
<> <> <<<Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
<> <> <<<X-Newsreader: Microsoft CDO for Windows 2000
<> <> <<<Content-Class: urn:content-classes:message
<> <> <<<Importance: normal
<> <> <<<Priority: normal
<> <> <<<X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.3790.1830
<> <> <<<Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
<> <> <<<Path: TK2MSFTNGXA01.phx.gbl
<> <> <<<Xref: TK2MSFTNGXA01.phx.gbl
<> microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general:37811
<> <> <<<NNTP-Posting-Host: TK2MSFTNGXA01.phx.gbl 10.40.2.250
<> <> <<<X-Tomcat-NG: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
<> <> <<<
<> <> <<<
[...]

netvmini.sys still not working on Windows 7 even after driver signing disabled ?! (Windows debug mode necessary for debug drivers ???) Skybuck Flying Windows 64bit 3 08-09-2009 05:54 AM
code signing LMOTIKENG@YAHOO.CO.UK Computer Security 0 10-18-2006 06:10 PM
code signing in 2005 gerry ASP .Net 1 02-28-2006 02:46 PM
Re: Questions about code signing cert. Jacob Java 2 07-19-2003 10:07 PM
Re: Questions about code signing cert. Roedy Green Java 1 07-15-2003 06:53 PM

Advertisments