Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > x64-to-Vista: Will clean-install Vista "upgrade" invalidate x64 license?

x64-to-Vista: Will clean-install Vista "upgrade" invalidate x64 license?

DP

I realize this is putting the cart about a mile in front of the horse, but
there are knowledgeable people on the NG who are always willing to help. So
I will ask this premature question.

Microsoft has said that x64 users will qualify for "upgrade" pricing to
Vista but will still have to do a clean install.
My question is, under those circumstances, does that mean the x64 license is
invalidated once I install Vista? This question is relevant because if the
license is invalidated, I can't legally do a dual boot of x64 and Vista,
right? If I get Vista as an "upgrade" to x64, wouldn't it be safe to assume
the license for x64 had then migrated to Vista?

Colin Barnhorst

Yes, the downside of the cost saved when buying an upgrade edition is the
tying of the old and new licenses. That is a moot point with XP Pro x64,
though. All XP Pro x64 licesenses are OEM and OEM licenses cannot be
transferred to a new computer. So it really doesn't matter in the case you
are discussing.

"DP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> I realize this is putting the cart about a mile in front of the horse, but
> there are knowledgeable people on the NG who are always willing to help.
> So I will ask this premature question.
>
> Microsoft has said that x64 users will qualify for "upgrade" pricing to
> Vista but will still have to do a clean install.
> My question is, under those circumstances, does that mean the x64 license
> is invalidated once I install Vista? This question is relevant because if
> the license is invalidated, I can't legally do a dual boot of x64 and
> Vista, right? If I get Vista as an "upgrade" to x64, wouldn't it be safe
> to assume the license for x64 had then migrated to Vista?

John Boy

DP wrote:
> I realize this is putting the cart about a mile in front of the horse, but
> there are knowledgeable people on the NG who are always willing to help. So
> I will ask this premature question.
>
> Microsoft has said that x64 users will qualify for "upgrade" pricing to
> Vista but will still have to do a clean install.
> My question is, under those circumstances, does that mean the x64 license is
> invalidated once I install Vista? This question is relevant because if the
> license is invalidated, I can't legally do a dual boot of x64 and Vista,
> right? If I get Vista as an "upgrade" to x64, wouldn't it be safe to assume
> the license for x64 had then migrated to Vista?

It is just like it is today. If you go to a
retail store you usually find either a "full"
retail package or a "upgrade" package.

When you buy the "full" package, there is no
verification of ownership of a "qualifying
version" to install the new version.

When you buy the "upgrade" version, you are
asked to insert a floppy disc or CD from a
previous "qualifying version" before the install
will proceed if you are doing a clean install.
If you use the "upgrade" on a system with
windows already installed, it won't ask you for
a disc.

Neither version affects you previous version
that I am aware of. You can do a dual/multi
install and have both the old and new version
installed at the same time.

The "Upgrade" version is less expensive that the
"Full" version. So, you get the "Upgrade" for a
"Special" price! It's been that way for as long
as I can remember, even with DOS, both MS & IBM.

Dominic Payer

The EULA is clear (see eula.txt: usually in the System32 directory) for all
versions of Windows: an upgrade replaces any previous licence.
You may not continue to use any previous qualifying version of Windows in
your upgrade chain.

Since the Microsoft database does not link product keys for the old and new
versions, there is no practical way to prevent continued use of the previous
versions, but to do so is not lawful.

"DP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> I realize this is putting the cart about a mile in front of the horse, but
> there are knowledgeable people on the NG who are always willing to help.
> So I will ask this premature question.
>
> Microsoft has said that x64 users will qualify for "upgrade" pricing to
> Vista but will still have to do a clean install.
> My question is, under those circumstances, does that mean the x64 license
> is invalidated once I install Vista? This question is relevant because if
> the license is invalidated, I can't legally do a dual boot of x64 and
> Vista, right? If I get Vista as an "upgrade" to x64, wouldn't it be safe
> to assume the license for x64 had then migrated to Vista?

DP

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yes, the downside of the cost saved when buying an upgrade edition is the
> tying of the old and new licenses. That is a moot point with XP Pro x64,
> though. All XP Pro x64 licesenses are OEM and OEM licenses cannot be
> transferred to a new computer. So it really doesn't matter in the case
> you are discussing.

Well, it does matter, but in a very limited set of circumstances.
First, in case you didn't see the other thread, MS has said that owners of
x64 will be able to get a full version of Vista at an upgrade price and will
have to do a clean install.
I was thinking that perhaps dual-booting would be nice if I have hardware
supported by x64 but not Vista. In such a case I would not be able to
legally dual boot because I would be using the OEM version of x64 and the
full Vista version that was supposed to replace it via this "upgrade."

Colin Barnhorst

The upgrade price means you pay less because you are tying the XP Pro x64
OEM license to the Vista Upgrade license. You are entitled to buy the
upgrade edition but you are not entitled to run both XP Pro x64 and Vista
x64, dual boot configuration or otherwise. My advice is that if you want to
run both buy Vista x64 full edition. You will then be fully licensed for
both.

"DP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Yes, the downside of the cost saved when buying an upgrade edition is the
>> tying of the old and new licenses. That is a moot point with XP Pro x64,
>> though. All XP Pro x64 licesenses are OEM and OEM licenses cannot be
>> transferred to a new computer. So it really doesn't matter in the case
>> you are discussing.

> Well, it does matter, but in a very limited set of circumstances.
> First, in case you didn't see the other thread, MS has said that owners of
> x64 will be able to get a full version of Vista at an upgrade price and
> will have to do a clean install.
> I was thinking that perhaps dual-booting would be nice if I have hardware
> supported by x64 but not Vista. In such a case I would not be able to
> legally dual boot because I would be using the OEM version of x64 and the
> full Vista version that was supposed to replace it via this "upgrade."

Bruce Chambers

DP wrote:
> I realize this is putting the cart about a mile in front of the horse, but
> there are knowledgeable people on the NG who are always willing to help. So
> I will ask this premature question.
>
> Microsoft has said that x64 users will qualify for "upgrade" pricing to
> Vista but will still have to do a clean install.
> My question is, under those circumstances, does that mean the x64 license is
> invalidated once I install Vista? This question is relevant because if the
> license is invalidated, I can't legally do a dual boot of x64 and Vista,
> right? If I get Vista as an "upgrade" to x64, wouldn't it be safe to assume
> the license for x64 had then migrated to Vista?

Without seeing the EULA of this as yet non-existent product, it's not
possible to give a definitive answer. That said, I don't imagine that
it would be any different for a Vista Upgrade license than it has always
been for all earlier Microsoft Upgrade licenses: the license for the
older, qualifying OS becomes part of (or subsumed by) the upgrade
license. Under those circumstances, it wouldn't be "kosher" to have a
separate installation of the older OS.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Colin Barnhorst

However, in the case of XP Pro x64, there is only an OEM edition. Once he
uses the rights from the Vista Upgrade EULA his XP Pro x64 license is void.
The only way he can maintain his XP Pro x64 license is to leave the OS
intact and install a full edition of Vista.

"John Boy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> DP wrote:
>> I realize this is putting the cart about a mile in front of the horse,
>> but there are knowledgeable people on the NG who are always willing to
>> help. So I will ask this premature question.
>>
>> Microsoft has said that x64 users will qualify for "upgrade" pricing to
>> Vista but will still have to do a clean install.
>> My question is, under those circumstances, does that mean the x64 license
>> is invalidated once I install Vista? This question is relevant because if
>> the license is invalidated, I can't legally do a dual boot of x64 and
>> Vista, right? If I get Vista as an "upgrade" to x64, wouldn't it be safe
>> to assume the license for x64 had then migrated to Vista?
>>

> It is just like it is today. If you go to a retail store you usually find
> either a "full" retail package or a "upgrade" package.
>
> When you buy the "full" package, there is no verification of ownership of
> a "qualifying version" to install the new version.
>
> When you buy the "upgrade" version, you are asked to insert a floppy disc
> or CD from a previous "qualifying version" before the install will proceed
> if you are doing a clean install. If you use the "upgrade" on a system
> with windows already installed, it won't ask you for a disc.
>
> Neither version affects you previous version that I am aware of. You can
> do a dual/multi install and have both the old and new version installed at
> the same time.
>
> The "Upgrade" version is less expensive that the "Full" version. So, you
> get the "Upgrade" for a "Special" price! It's been that way for as long
> as I can remember, even with DOS, both MS & IBM.

DP

Thanks everybody.
I think not only did I put the cart before the horse. I beat the horse to
death and then kept on beating.

I think the answer is clear: I can't legally use both.

Now I'll just sit back and see what kind of upgrade price MS offers x64
users when Vista finally goes retail.

Colin Barnhorst

Home Basic should be $99 for an upgrade the way I read the matrix and recent
statements from MS. Ultimate upgrade should be around $249 (just a guess).

news:OF%23%(E-Mail Removed)...