Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > x64 - ready for prime time?

x64 - ready for prime time?

=?Utf-8?B?ZGZvc2Jlbm5lcg==?=

I suppose it depends on what a person wants to accomplish. I purchased a new
server this month and installed W2K3x64 on it, but quite a number of the
network utilities I'd use aren't supported.

I'm sure that 32-bit Windows will more than handle the load on this system,
using x64 was more of an experiment with the latest technology. Has anyone
else tested out x64, then stepped back to 32?

Maybe in a year when my next server is purchased I'll look at x64 again. It
seems like it needs to mature and receive more vendor support.
--
MCSE NT/2000/2003

Peter Lawton

As you say it's not x64 Windows that isn't ready for prime time it's the
extremely slow pace of software support from other vendors (including MS)

We're a Thin Client house running Citrix on W2003 x64 and although I've just
very sucessfully moved our terminal servers to x64 a lot of our other
servers have to stay on i386 because of lack of software vendor support.

1) ISA - no x64 compatible ISA from MS in sight at all, not even the version
they haven't released yet.

2) Exchange - x64 only in the next release

3) Symantec AV - No sign of an x64 parent server yet and their "x64" client
is a 32bit hack that won't even update it signatures from their own parent
server.

4) SQL applications - Although a lot will work on SQL2005 x64 a lot of
companies won't support their products on SQL2005 yet.
Also the apps that will happily run on a SQL2005 back end often won't
actually install on it (MS guilty here too, together with the other usual
suspects)

Peter Lawton

"dfosbenner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I suppose it depends on what a person wants to accomplish. I purchased a
>new
> server this month and installed W2K3x64 on it, but quite a number of the
> network utilities I'd use aren't supported.
>
> I'm sure that 32-bit Windows will more than handle the load on this
> system,
> using x64 was more of an experiment with the latest technology. Has
> anyone
> else tested out x64, then stepped back to 32?
>
> Maybe in a year when my next server is purchased I'll look at x64 again.
> It
> seems like it needs to mature and receive more vendor support.
> --
> MCSE NT/2000/2003

=?Utf-8?B?ZGZvc2Jlbm5lcg==?=

All good points. Backup Exec 10d has an x64 agent, I'm about to try it out
this week.

If I go with x64, and it's stable, then hopefully the other tools will
follow. Otherwise if I go 32bit, I'd have to reformat/reinstall to go to
x64, NOT something I can do with a production server. SQL 2005 will be our
main app on this box, and the applications are in house VB apps.
--
MCSE NT/2000/2003

"Peter Lawton" wrote:

> As you say it's not x64 Windows that isn't ready for prime time it's the
> extremely slow pace of software support from other vendors (including MS)
>
> We're a Thin Client house running Citrix on W2003 x64 and although I've just
> very sucessfully moved our terminal servers to x64 a lot of our other
> servers have to stay on i386 because of lack of software vendor support.
>
> 1) ISA - no x64 compatible ISA from MS in sight at all, not even the version
> they haven't released yet.
>
> 2) Exchange - x64 only in the next release
>
> 3) Symantec AV - No sign of an x64 parent server yet and their "x64" client
> is a 32bit hack that won't even update it signatures from their own parent
> server.
>
> 4) SQL applications - Although a lot will work on SQL2005 x64 a lot of
> companies won't support their products on SQL2005 yet.
> Also the apps that will happily run on a SQL2005 back end often won't
> actually install on it (MS guilty here too, together with the other usual
> suspects)
>
> Peter Lawton

Peter Lawton

The BackupExec 10d x64 agent works fine in my experience and SQL2005 is one
app that does work very well on x64.

I'm actually running 32bit SQL2000 on W2003 x64 on one of our servers at the
moment so that I don't have to re-install the OS to go to SQL2005 x64 when
our app vendors will support it

Peter Lawton

"dfosbenner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> All good points. Backup Exec 10d has an x64 agent, I'm about to try it
> out
> this week.
>
> If I go with x64, and it's stable, then hopefully the other tools will
> follow. Otherwise if I go 32bit, I'd have to reformat/reinstall to go to
> x64, NOT something I can do with a production server. SQL 2005 will be
> our
> main app on this box, and the applications are in house VB apps.
> --
> MCSE NT/2000/2003
>

> "Peter Lawton" wrote:
>
>> As you say it's not x64 Windows that isn't ready for prime time it's the
>> extremely slow pace of software support from other vendors (including MS)
>>
>> We're a Thin Client house running Citrix on W2003 x64 and although I've
>> just
>> very sucessfully moved our terminal servers to x64 a lot of our other
>> servers have to stay on i386 because of lack of software vendor support.
>>
>> 1) ISA - no x64 compatible ISA from MS in sight at all, not even the
>> version
>> they haven't released yet.
>>
>> 2) Exchange - x64 only in the next release
>>
>> 3) Symantec AV - No sign of an x64 parent server yet and their "x64"
>> client
>> is a 32bit hack that won't even update it signatures from their own
>> parent
>> server.
>>
>> 4) SQL applications - Although a lot will work on SQL2005 x64 a lot of
>> companies won't support their products on SQL2005 yet.
>> Also the apps that will happily run on a SQL2005 back end often won't
>> actually install on it (MS guilty here too, together with the other usual
>> suspects)
>>
>> Peter Lawton

=?Utf-8?B?ZGZvc2Jlbm5lcg==?=

I was able to install and do a test backup with Backup Exec 10d, it worked
fine. I also got confirmation that Diskeeper is fully supported on x64.

I can live with the lack of SAVCE AVServer if I have to. It's disappointing
though.
Also, APC says they don't support x64 for PowerChute Bus. Edition. I cannot
understand why. It seems to work when I tested it.

I also found out Shavlik NetChkPro won't scan x64 systems until an update in
4Q06.

--
MCSE NT/2000/2003

"Peter Lawton" wrote:

> The BackupExec 10d x64 agent works fine in my experience and SQL2005 is one
> app that does work very well on x64.
>
> I'm actually running 32bit SQL2000 on W2003 x64 on one of our servers at the
> moment so that I don't have to re-install the OS to go to SQL2005 x64 when
> our app vendors will support it
>
> Peter Lawton
>
> "dfosbenner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > All good points. Backup Exec 10d has an x64 agent, I'm about to try it
> > out
> > this week.
> >
> > If I go with x64, and it's stable, then hopefully the other tools will
> > follow. Otherwise if I go 32bit, I'd have to reformat/reinstall to go to
> > x64, NOT something I can do with a production server. SQL 2005 will be
> > our
> > main app on this box, and the applications are in house VB apps.
> > --
> > MCSE NT/2000/2003
> >

> > "Peter Lawton" wrote:
> >
> >> As you say it's not x64 Windows that isn't ready for prime time it's the
> >> extremely slow pace of software support from other vendors (including MS)
> >>
> >> We're a Thin Client house running Citrix on W2003 x64 and although I've
> >> just
> >> very sucessfully moved our terminal servers to x64 a lot of our other
> >> servers have to stay on i386 because of lack of software vendor support.
> >>
> >> 1) ISA - no x64 compatible ISA from MS in sight at all, not even the
> >> version
> >> they haven't released yet.
> >>
> >> 2) Exchange - x64 only in the next release
> >>
> >> 3) Symantec AV - No sign of an x64 parent server yet and their "x64"
> >> client
> >> is a 32bit hack that won't even update it signatures from their own
> >> parent
> >> server.
> >>
> >> 4) SQL applications - Although a lot will work on SQL2005 x64 a lot of
> >> companies won't support their products on SQL2005 yet.
> >> Also the apps that will happily run on a SQL2005 back end often won't
> >> actually install on it (MS guilty here too, together with the other usual
> >> suspects)
> >>
> >> Peter Lawton

Colin Barnhorst

You will a number of error balloons. They appear to be bogus.

"dfosbenner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I was able to install and do a test backup with Backup Exec 10d, it worked
> fine. I also got confirmation that Diskeeper is fully supported on x64.
>
> I can live with the lack of SAVCE AVServer if I have to. It's
> disappointing
> though.
> Also, APC says they don't support x64 for PowerChute Bus. Edition. I
> cannot
> understand why. It seems to work when I tested it.
>
> I also found out Shavlik NetChkPro won't scan x64 systems until an update
> in
> 4Q06.
>

> --
> MCSE NT/2000/2003
>

> "Peter Lawton" wrote:
>
>> The BackupExec 10d x64 agent works fine in my experience and SQL2005 is
>> one
>> app that does work very well on x64.
>>
>> I'm actually running 32bit SQL2000 on W2003 x64 on one of our servers at
>> the
>> moment so that I don't have to re-install the OS to go to SQL2005 x64
>> when
>> our app vendors will support it
>>
>> Peter Lawton
>>
>> "dfosbenner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > All good points. Backup Exec 10d has an x64 agent, I'm about to try it
>> > out
>> > this week.
>> >
>> > If I go with x64, and it's stable, then hopefully the other tools will
>> > follow. Otherwise if I go 32bit, I'd have to reformat/reinstall to go
>> > x64, NOT something I can do with a production server. SQL 2005 will be
>> > our
>> > main app on this box, and the applications are in house VB apps.
>> > --
>> > MCSE NT/2000/2003

Colin Barnhorst

You may see a number of bogus error balloons from PowerChute. I do.

"dfosbenner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I was able to install and do a test backup with Backup Exec 10d, it worked
> fine. I also got confirmation that Diskeeper is fully supported on x64.
>
> I can live with the lack of SAVCE AVServer if I have to. It's
> disappointing
> though.
> Also, APC says they don't support x64 for PowerChute Bus. Edition. I
> cannot
> understand why. It seems to work when I tested it.
>
> I also found out Shavlik NetChkPro won't scan x64 systems until an update
> in
> 4Q06.
>

> --
> MCSE NT/2000/2003
>

> "Peter Lawton" wrote:
>
>> The BackupExec 10d x64 agent works fine in my experience and SQL2005 is
>> one
>> app that does work very well on x64.
>>
>> I'm actually running 32bit SQL2000 on W2003 x64 on one of our servers at
>> the
>> moment so that I don't have to re-install the OS to go to SQL2005 x64
>> when
>> our app vendors will support it
>>
>> Peter Lawton
>>
>> "dfosbenner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > All good points. Backup Exec 10d has an x64 agent, I'm about to try it
>> > out
>> > this week.
>> >
>> > If I go with x64, and it's stable, then hopefully the other tools will
>> > follow. Otherwise if I go 32bit, I'd have to reformat/reinstall to go
>> > x64, NOT something I can do with a production server. SQL 2005 will be
>> > our
>> > main app on this box, and the applications are in house VB apps.
>> > --
>> > MCSE NT/2000/2003

Dennis Pack x64, v64B2 \(5384\), OPP2007B2

Dfosbenner:
I use an APC RS 1500 with both of my Windows x64 towers plugged in. X64
automatically picks up the monitor cable for the APC as a battery. In “Power
Options Properties” a tab is added named “Power Meter” which lists the APC
as a battery. Also under “Power Schemes” there are two entries “plugged in”
and “running on batteries”, I set the lines “turn off hard drives”,
“standby” and “hibernate” to “never” under both power schemes. When
installing the APC software the message “APC Power Chute Personal Edition is
unable to disable Windows native power management. You may receive messages
windows relating to your battery. Occasionally I will receive a low battery
message and twice in over two years the tower with the monitoring cable
plugged in went into hibernation but that was before I changed the power
scheme to never. My APC switches to battery regularly due to voltage changes
and a few power outages and has had no effect on either towers’ function.
Most likely server x64 will respond the same.

"dfosbenner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I was able to install and do a test backup with Backup Exec 10d, it worked
> fine. I also got confirmation that Diskeeper is fully supported on x64.
>
> I can live with the lack of SAVCE AVServer if I have to. It's
> disappointing
> though.
> Also, APC says they don't support x64 for PowerChute Bus. Edition. I
> cannot
> understand why. It seems to work when I tested it.
>
> I also found out Shavlik NetChkPro won't scan x64 systems until an update
> in
> 4Q06.
>

> --
> MCSE NT/2000/2003
>

> "Peter Lawton" wrote:
>
>> The BackupExec 10d x64 agent works fine in my experience and SQL2005 is
>> one
>> app that does work very well on x64.
>>
>> I'm actually running 32bit SQL2000 on W2003 x64 on one of our servers at
>> the
>> moment so that I don't have to re-install the OS to go to SQL2005 x64
>> when
>> our app vendors will support it
>>
>> Peter Lawton
>>
>> "dfosbenner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > All good points. Backup Exec 10d has an x64 agent, I'm about to try it
>> > out
>> > this week.
>> >
>> > If I go with x64, and it's stable, then hopefully the other tools will
>> > follow. Otherwise if I go 32bit, I'd have to reformat/reinstall to go
>> > x64, NOT something I can do with a production server. SQL 2005 will be
>> > our
>> > main app on this box, and the applications are in house VB apps.
>> > --
>> > MCSE NT/2000/2003

Lynn McGuire

>I suppose it depends on what a person wants to accomplish. I purchased a new
> server this month and installed W2K3x64 on it, but quite a number of the
> network utilities I'd use aren't supported.
>
> I'm sure that 32-bit Windows will more than handle the load on this system,
> using x64 was more of an experiment with the latest technology. Has anyone
> else tested out x64, then stepped back to 32?
>
> Maybe in a year when my next server is purchased I'll look at x64 again. It
> seems like it needs to mature and receive more vendor support.

Nope. Backwards compatibility is not there for Win16 and Dos16 apps.

NTVDM needs to be ported to Windows X64 by MS.

And yes, I know about DosBox. It is not acceptible.

Lynn

Charlie Russel - MVP

Lynn -
You know I understand the why, but I have to tell you - there is zero
chance that NTVDM will ever be ported to 64bit by MS. I'd suggest that the
virtual machine route is pretty much your only option to have x64 Windows
and still be able to use DOS applications.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64