Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > win98 -> Win XP Pro x64

win98 -> Win XP Pro x64

=?Utf-8?B?V2lsbGlhbUNyYW5kYWxs?=

Greetings,

First post, so thanks in advance.

Here's our situation. We're a new nonprofit, we've
just received an Opteron system as a gift, and I'm
trying to find the simplest, surest, cheapest way
to get WinXP Pro x64 up and running.

TechSoup is a wonderful outlet for MS products for
nonprofits (techsoup.org), but you do have to jump
through a few hoops. What we've got running now is
an old laptop with Win98 2nd Edition (4.10.2222 A).

Two questions:

1. Is the most direct route possible? Can I install
Win98 on the new Opteron system, and then upgrade
with "Windows XP Professional x64 Edition
English/Multilanguage Upgrade":

http://www.techsoup.org/stock/produc...+MS&CatCount=1

2. If not, can I install Win2000 on the Opteron
(which is available from TechSoup as a full,
non-upgrade OS):

http://www.techsoup.org/stock/produc...cts&CatCount=1

And then upgrade from there with the x64 Edition
listed above?

Thanks again for any suggestions, explanations,
pointers, u.s.w.

All the best,

William BC Crandall
President & Director, Abundant Planet
A Public Benefit California Corporation

DP

Warning: Though Techsoup says this, "The Windows on Windows 64 (WOW64) x86
emulation layer allows organizations to keep their existing investment in
32-bit software and Windows expertise," it doesn't point out that you may
have issues regarding the drivers for peripherals.
If you have existing printers, network devices, cameras, scanners, etc, they
may prove to be unworkable if you can't find a 64-bit driver.

I'm also confused by this language: "This is an upgrade product. ... The
actual installation of Windows XP Professional x64 Edition is a fresh
install, not an upgrade. " Everything I've read in this NG indicates x64 is
not an upgrade in any way. Now presumably there may be some kind of product
that windows has made available to non-profits that the rest of the world
doesn't know about. So, I'm just confused.

Presumably you've worked with Techsoup before and they are reliable?

"WilliamCrandall" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Greetings,
>
> First post, so thanks in advance.
>
> Here's our situation. We're a new nonprofit, we've
> just received an Opteron system as a gift, and I'm
> trying to find the simplest, surest, cheapest way
> to get WinXP Pro x64 up and running.
>
> TechSoup is a wonderful outlet for MS products for
> nonprofits (techsoup.org), but you do have to jump
> through a few hoops. What we've got running now is
> an old laptop with Win98 2nd Edition (4.10.2222 A).
>
> Two questions:
>
> 1. Is the most direct route possible? Can I install
> Win98 on the new Opteron system, and then upgrade
> with "Windows XP Professional x64 Edition
> English/Multilanguage Upgrade":
>
> http://www.techsoup.org/stock/produc...+MS&CatCount=1
>

> 2. If not, can I install Win2000 on the Opteron
> (which is available from TechSoup as a full,
> non-upgrade OS):
>
> http://www.techsoup.org/stock/produc...cts&CatCount=1
>
> And then upgrade from there with the x64 Edition
> listed above?
>

> Thanks again for any suggestions, explanations,
> pointers, u.s.w.
>
> All the best,
>
> William BC Crandall
> President & Director, Abundant Planet
> A Public Benefit California Corporation

Colin Barnhorst

No. You cannot upgrade from any 32bit system like Win98 to any 64bit
system. A clean installation is required. XP Pro x64 is only available as
an OEM distribution and OEM distributions will not upgrade in any case.
When you install x64 any thing on the target partition will be lost.

I believe what you are referring to is a licensing purchase.

"WilliamCrandall" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Greetings,
>
> First post, so thanks in advance.
>
> Here's our situation. We're a new nonprofit, we've
> just received an Opteron system as a gift, and I'm
> trying to find the simplest, surest, cheapest way
> to get WinXP Pro x64 up and running.
>
> TechSoup is a wonderful outlet for MS products for
> nonprofits (techsoup.org), but you do have to jump
> through a few hoops. What we've got running now is
> an old laptop with Win98 2nd Edition (4.10.2222 A).
>
> Two questions:
>
> 1. Is the most direct route possible? Can I install
> Win98 on the new Opteron system, and then upgrade
> with "Windows XP Professional x64 Edition
> English/Multilanguage Upgrade":
>
> http://www.techsoup.org/stock/produc...+MS&CatCount=1
>

> 2. If not, can I install Win2000 on the Opteron
> (which is available from TechSoup as a full,
> non-upgrade OS):
>
> http://www.techsoup.org/stock/produc...cts&CatCount=1
>
> And then upgrade from there with the x64 Edition
> listed above?
>

> Thanks again for any suggestions, explanations,
> pointers, u.s.w.
>
> All the best,
>
> William BC Crandall
> President & Director, Abundant Planet
> A Public Benefit California Corporation

VWWall

WilliamCrandall wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> First post, so thanks in advance.
>
> Here's our situation. We're a new nonprofit, we've
> just received an Opteron system as a gift, and I'm
> trying to find the simplest, surest, cheapest way
> to get WinXP Pro x64 up and running.
>
> TechSoup is a wonderful outlet for MS products for
> nonprofits (techsoup.org), but you do have to jump
> through a few hoops. What we've got running now is
> an old laptop with Win98 2nd Edition (4.10.2222 A).
>
> Two questions:
>
> 1. Is the most direct route possible? Can I install
> Win98 on the new Opteron system, and then upgrade
> with "Windows XP Professional x64 Edition
> English/Multilanguage Upgrade":

You do not need to install anything! TechSoup will send you the media,
(CD with XP x64), and after establishing your non-profit status, the key
to activate it. You load the OS on the "bare" Opteron system, use the
key to activate it and you're in business.

One question--why are you considering WindowsXP X64 rather than the
WindowsXP 32 bit version?

--
Virg Wall, P.E.

Bruce Chambers

WilliamCrandall wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> First post, so thanks in advance.
>
> Here's our situation. We're a new nonprofit, we've
> just received an Opteron system as a gift, and I'm
> trying to find the simplest, surest, cheapest way
> to get WinXP Pro x64 up and running.
>
> TechSoup is a wonderful outlet for MS products for
> nonprofits (techsoup.org), but you do have to jump
> through a few hoops. What we've got running now is
> an old laptop with Win98 2nd Edition (4.10.2222 A).
>
> Two questions:
>
> 1. Is the most direct route possible?

The simplest, most direct, and most cost effective route is to simply
purchase (or persuade one of your donors/benefactors to purchase for
you) WinXPX64, and install it.

> Can I install
> Win98 on the new Opteron system, and then upgrade
> with "Windows XP Professional x64 Edition
> English/Multilanguage Upgrade":
>
> http://www.techsoup.org/stock/produc...+MS&CatCount=1
>

> 2. If not, can I install Win2000 on the Opteron
> (which is available from TechSoup as a full,
> non-upgrade OS):
>
> http://www.techsoup.org/stock/produc...cts&CatCount=1
>
> And then upgrade from there with the x64 Edition
> listed above?

No to both questions. No upgrades of any kind can be done. First of
all, both Win98 and Win2K are 32-bit operating systems, and it's not
possible to "upgrade" from a 32-bit OS to a 64-bit OS; a clean
installation is the only way to go. Secondly, WinXPx64 is available
only as an OEM license, which cannot perform upgrades; OEM licenses are
specific ally designed to perform only clean installations.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Bruce Chambers

DP wrote:
> Warning: Though Techsoup says this, "The Windows on Windows 64 (WOW64) x86
> emulation layer allows organizations to keep their existing investment in
> 32-bit software and Windows expertise," it doesn't point out that you may
> have issues regarding the drivers for peripherals.
> If you have existing printers, network devices, cameras, scanners, etc, they
> may prove to be unworkable if you can't find a 64-bit driver.

Good points...

> I'm also confused by this language: "This is an upgrade product. ... The
> actual installation of Windows XP Professional x64 Edition is a fresh
> install, not an upgrade. " Everything I've read in this NG indicates x64 is
> not an upgrade in any way. Now presumably there may be some kind of product
> that windows has made available to non-profits that the rest of the world
> doesn't know about. So, I'm just confused.

A closer look at Techsoup's entry reveals that this is a Volume License
(minimum purchase of 5 seats). All Volume Licenses are "upgrades"
according to Microsoft in that they require the presense of an earlier,
qualifying OS license to be valid. In the case of WinXPx64, the only
earlier, qualifying OS would be the factory-installed OEM copy of
WinXPx64. Kind of silly, when you think about it, but there are no
earlier 64-bit Microsoft operating systems.

> Presumably you've worked with Techsoup before and they are reliable?

I haven't, but the whole thing seems awfully suspicious to me.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Colin Barnhorst

The earlier edition of Windows does not have to be installed or upgraded in
the consumer sense. It just has to be a license assigned to the target
machine.

"Bruce Chambers" <(E-Mail Removed)3t> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> DP wrote:
>> Warning: Though Techsoup says this, "The Windows on Windows 64 (WOW64)
>> x86 emulation layer allows organizations to keep their existing
>> investment in 32-bit software and Windows expertise," it doesn't point
>> out that you may have issues regarding the drivers for peripherals.
>> If you have existing printers, network devices, cameras, scanners, etc,
>> they may prove to be unworkable if you can't find a 64-bit driver.
>>

> Good points...
>

>> I'm also confused by this language: "This is an upgrade product. ... The
>> actual installation of Windows XP Professional x64 Edition is a fresh
>> install, not an upgrade. " Everything I've read in this NG indicates x64
>> is not an upgrade in any way. Now presumably there may be some kind of
>> product that windows has made available to non-profits that the rest of
>> the world doesn't know about. So, I'm just confused.
>>

> A closer look at Techsoup's entry reveals that this is a Volume License
> (minimum purchase of 5 seats). All Volume Licenses are "upgrades"
> according to Microsoft in that they require the presense of an earlier,
> qualifying OS license to be valid. In the case of WinXPx64, the only
> earlier, qualifying OS would be the factory-installed OEM copy of
> WinXPx64. Kind of silly, when you think about it, but there are no
> earlier 64-bit Microsoft operating systems.
>

>> Presumably you've worked with Techsoup before and they are reliable?

> I haven't, but the whole thing seems awfully suspicious to me.
>

> --
>
> Bruce Chambers
>
> Help us help you:
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

=?Utf-8?B?V2lsbGlhbUNyYW5kYWxs?=

Hello Virg,

Thanks for pointing out what was right in front of me .
That is, that TechSoup offers a "fresh install", even though
its titled "upgrade."

Why x64? We'll be using this machine for web development
work--Java/XML/Eclipse/Spring/Hibernate/u.s.w. I thought
that we'd get the best performance out of the 64-bit Opteron
by starting with WinXP X64 at the bottom of the stack.

But DP's comment about drivers has raised my concern.

The system will have common peripherals (HP printer;
Logitech speakers; a mic, perhaps a Studio Projects B1).
Is it unreasonable to think these will work?

It looks like Java will work:

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/jre/i...indows-64.html

And Eclipse for "Windows x86_64" (which I think refers to
WinXP X64 on the Opteron) is in "Early Access" (and we'll
likely not start serious work for another couple months):

http://download3.eclipse.org/eclipse...1905/index.php

But if you think this is *not* the best way to go, please let
me know.

Thanks to all for quick and thoughtful responses.

-BC

"VWWall" wrote:

> WilliamCrandall wrote:
> > Greetings,
> >
> > First post, so thanks in advance.
> >
> > Here's our situation. We're a new nonprofit, we've
> > just received an Opteron system as a gift, and I'm
> > trying to find the simplest, surest, cheapest way
> > to get WinXP Pro x64 up and running.
> >
> > TechSoup is a wonderful outlet for MS products for
> > nonprofits (techsoup.org), but you do have to jump
> > through a few hoops. What we've got running now is
> > an old laptop with Win98 2nd Edition (4.10.2222 A).
> >
> > Two questions:
> >
> > 1. Is the most direct route possible? Can I install
> > Win98 on the new Opteron system, and then upgrade
> > with "Windows XP Professional x64 Edition
> > English/Multilanguage Upgrade":

> You do not need to install anything! TechSoup will send you the media,
> (CD with XP x64), and after establishing your non-profit status, the key
> to activate it. You load the OS on the "bare" Opteron system, use the
> key to activate it and you're in business.
>
> One question--why are you considering WindowsXP X64 rather than the
> WindowsXP 32 bit version?
>
> --
> Virg Wall, P.E.

Colin Barnhorst

Check the manufacturer's websites for x64 drivers. If they are available
then go for it. If not then use XP Pro XP2.

"WilliamCrandall" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello Virg,
>
> Thanks for pointing out what was right in front of me .
> That is, that TechSoup offers a "fresh install", even though
> its titled "upgrade."
>
> Why x64? We'll be using this machine for web development
> work--Java/XML/Eclipse/Spring/Hibernate/u.s.w. I thought
> that we'd get the best performance out of the 64-bit Opteron
> by starting with WinXP X64 at the bottom of the stack.
>
> But DP's comment about drivers has raised my concern.
>
> The system will have common peripherals (HP printer;
> Logitech speakers; a mic, perhaps a Studio Projects B1).
> Is it unreasonable to think these will work?
>
> It looks like Java will work:
>
> http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/jre/i...indows-64.html
>
> And Eclipse for "Windows x86_64" (which I think refers to
> WinXP X64 on the Opteron) is in "Early Access" (and we'll
> likely not start serious work for another couple months):
>
> http://download3.eclipse.org/eclipse...1905/index.php
>
> But if you think this is *not* the best way to go, please let
> me know.
>
> Thanks to all for quick and thoughtful responses.
>
> -BC
>

> "VWWall" wrote:
>
>> WilliamCrandall wrote:
>> > Greetings,
>> >
>> > First post, so thanks in advance.
>> >
>> > Here's our situation. We're a new nonprofit, we've
>> > just received an Opteron system as a gift, and I'm
>> > trying to find the simplest, surest, cheapest way
>> > to get WinXP Pro x64 up and running.
>> >
>> > TechSoup is a wonderful outlet for MS products for
>> > nonprofits (techsoup.org), but you do have to jump
>> > through a few hoops. What we've got running now is
>> > an old laptop with Win98 2nd Edition (4.10.2222 A).
>> >
>> > Two questions:
>> >
>> > 1. Is the most direct route possible? Can I install
>> > Win98 on the new Opteron system, and then upgrade
>> > with "Windows XP Professional x64 Edition
>> > English/Multilanguage Upgrade":

>> You do not need to install anything! TechSoup will send you the media,
>> (CD with XP x64), and after establishing your non-profit status, the key
>> to activate it. You load the OS on the "bare" Opteron system, use the
>> key to activate it and you're in business.
>>
>> One question--why are you considering WindowsXP X64 rather than the
>> WindowsXP 32 bit version?
>>
>> --
>> Virg Wall, P.E.

Bruce Chambers

Colin Barnhorst wrote:
> The earlier edition of Windows does not have to be installed or upgraded in
> the consumer sense. It just has to be a license assigned to the target
> machine.

True, but remember, there is *no* upgrade path from 32-bit to 64-bit
operating systems.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you: