Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > New Windows x64 Install "Out of Scan Range" Problem

New Windows x64 Install "Out of Scan Range" Problem

badaczewski@gmail.com

I have a MSI K8T Neo motherboard and an AMD 3400+ processor. I've been
running Windows XP 32bit fine for years now. I decided to perform a new
install of the x64 version and finally use the AMD processor for what
it was meant for. After getting past the trouble of detecting the SATA
by switching it to RAID drivers and setup, the installation went
without error. And that is when the prblem occured.

My Dell 17inch CRT generates the message "Out of Scan Range" when I
boot into Normal, VGA or even Safe Mode.

I'm running a Matrox Parhelia 128mb AGP card, but I also tried to
perform the install with an ATI Radeon 8500, and it still won't work.

Any ideas why this x64 version would cause such a brick wall of a
problem? I have the most recent BIOS for my motherboard.

Colin Barnhorst

Doesn't the scan range refer to the monitor?

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I have a MSI K8T Neo motherboard and an AMD 3400+ processor. I've been
> running Windows XP 32bit fine for years now. I decided to perform a new
> install of the x64 version and finally use the AMD processor for what
> it was meant for. After getting past the trouble of detecting the SATA
> by switching it to RAID drivers and setup, the installation went
> without error. And that is when the prblem occured.
>
> My Dell 17inch CRT generates the message "Out of Scan Range" when I
> boot into Normal, VGA or even Safe Mode.
>
> I'm running a Matrox Parhelia 128mb AGP card, but I also tried to
> perform the install with an ATI Radeon 8500, and it still won't work.
>
> Any ideas why this x64 version would cause such a brick wall of a
> problem? I have the most recent BIOS for my motherboard.

Charlie Russel - MVP

It's clearly a problem with the driver for your card/s. I would try the
oldest, stupidest card you have, and boot into safe mode. from there, you
should be able to load the drivers you'll need. If not, one workaround is
actually to create an inline installation that loads the correct drivers.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

> I have a MSI K8T Neo motherboard and an AMD 3400+ processor. I've been
> running Windows XP 32bit fine for years now. I decided to perform a new
> install of the x64 version and finally use the AMD processor for what
> it was meant for. After getting past the trouble of detecting the SATA
> by switching it to RAID drivers and setup, the installation went
> without error. And that is when the prblem occured.
>
> My Dell 17inch CRT generates the message "Out of Scan Range" when I
> boot into Normal, VGA or even Safe Mode.
>
> I'm running a Matrox Parhelia 128mb AGP card, but I also tried to
> perform the install with an ATI Radeon 8500, and it still won't work.
>
> Any ideas why this x64 version would cause such a brick wall of a
> problem? I have the most recent BIOS for my motherboard.

Tony Sperling

Are you sure those drivers are 64bit?

Remember, not everything that ships with various cards on a CD, are 64bit.

I recommend you to search the producer's site and have a look around -
alternatively ATI for reference drivers, or NGOHQ.COM for original drivers
that are tweaked for quality or performance as you like, and make sure that
they really are 64bit!

Tony. . .

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> I have a MSI K8T Neo motherboard and an AMD 3400+ processor. I've been
> running Windows XP 32bit fine for years now. I decided to perform a new
> install of the x64 version and finally use the AMD processor for what
> it was meant for. After getting past the trouble of detecting the SATA
> by switching it to RAID drivers and setup, the installation went
> without error. And that is when the prblem occured.
>
> My Dell 17inch CRT generates the message "Out of Scan Range" when I
> boot into Normal, VGA or even Safe Mode.
>
> I'm running a Matrox Parhelia 128mb AGP card, but I also tried to
> perform the install with an ATI Radeon 8500, and it still won't work.
>
> Any ideas why this x64 version would cause such a brick wall of a
> problem? I have the most recent BIOS for my motherboard.

Bruce Chambers

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I have a MSI K8T Neo motherboard and an AMD 3400+ processor. I've been
> running Windows XP 32bit fine for years now. I decided to perform a new
> install of the x64 version and finally use the AMD processor for what
> it was meant for. After getting past the trouble of detecting the SATA
> by switching it to RAID drivers and setup, the installation went
> without error. And that is when the prblem occured.
>
> My Dell 17inch CRT generates the message "Out of Scan Range" when I
> boot into Normal, VGA or even Safe Mode.
>
> I'm running a Matrox Parhelia 128mb AGP card, but I also tried to
> perform the install with an ATI Radeon 8500, and it still won't work.
>
> Any ideas why this x64 version would cause such a brick wall of a
> problem? I have the most recent BIOS for my motherboard.

Have you installed the video adapter's manufacturer's WinXPx64-specific
device drivers?

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Bruce Chambers

Colin Barnhorst wrote:
> Doesn't the scan range refer to the monitor?

That's a common error displayed on a monitor when the monitor isn't
receiving a video signal it can handle.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

John Boy

Bruce Chambers wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> I have a MSI K8T Neo motherboard and an AMD 3400+ processor. I've been
>> running Windows XP 32bit fine for years now. I decided to perform a new
>> install of the x64 version and finally use the AMD processor for what
>> it was meant for. After getting past the trouble of detecting the SATA
>> by switching it to RAID drivers and setup, the installation went
>> without error. And that is when the prblem occured.
>>
>> My Dell 17inch CRT generates the message "Out of Scan Range" when I
>> boot into Normal, VGA or even Safe Mode.
>>
>> I'm running a Matrox Parhelia 128mb AGP card, but I also tried to
>> perform the install with an ATI Radeon 8500, and it still won't work.
>>
>> Any ideas why this x64 version would cause such a brick wall of a
>> problem? I have the most recent BIOS for my motherboard.
>>

> Have you installed the video adapter's manufacturer's
> WinXPx64-specific device drivers?

If he cannot boot to either Normal, VGA, or even
Safe Mode, then how do you propose he install
the most current drivers? I have never been
able out how to do something like that if you
can't boot up the system.

badaczewski@gmail.com

John Boy is correct, since I can't even get into the Windows GUI it
makes it hard to install with the 64bit drivers (which Matrox provides
for the Parhelia). I would like to hit F6 during the install to load
those drivers before I start the installation, but Matrox doesn't make
a driver package made to be loaded off a floppy.

I agree that Windows x64 isn't loading a driver that works with my
monitor. Whatever driver windows loads to display the isntallation
process works fine, but the final driver just doesn't work at all it
seems.

Its hard for me to believe that the Dell 17inch Trinitron is to blame.
And both AGP video cards I have, yielded the same problem.

Is there a way to alter the windows video driver from the command line?

John Boy wrote:
> Bruce Chambers wrote:
> > (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> >> I have a MSI K8T Neo motherboard and an AMD 3400+ processor. I've been
> >> running Windows XP 32bit fine for years now. I decided to perform a new
> >> install of the x64 version and finally use the AMD processor for what
> >> it was meant for. After getting past the trouble of detecting the SATA
> >> by switching it to RAID drivers and setup, the installation went
> >> without error. And that is when the prblem occured.
> >>
> >> My Dell 17inch CRT generates the message "Out of Scan Range" when I
> >> boot into Normal, VGA or even Safe Mode.
> >>
> >> I'm running a Matrox Parhelia 128mb AGP card, but I also tried to
> >> perform the install with an ATI Radeon 8500, and it still won't work.
> >>
> >> Any ideas why this x64 version would cause such a brick wall of a
> >> problem? I have the most recent BIOS for my motherboard.
> >>

> > Have you installed the video adapter's manufacturer's
> > WinXPx64-specific device drivers?
> >

> If he cannot boot to either Normal, VGA, or even
> Safe Mode, then how do you propose he install
> the most current drivers? I have never been
> able out how to do something like that if you
> can't boot up the system.

Tony Sperling

Well, then do you have a Motherboard with integrated Graphics Chip and a
Graphics Card installed too? Is this the case, you will need to disable the
on-board features inside the BIOS Setup - or perhaps a jumper setting on the
board itself - not custom on modern boards.

It should be enough to get a picture on your screen after re-booting. (If
that is the, it)

Tony. . .

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> John Boy is correct, since I can't even get into the Windows GUI it
> makes it hard to install with the 64bit drivers (which Matrox provides
> for the Parhelia). I would like to hit F6 during the install to load
> those drivers before I start the installation, but Matrox doesn't make
> a driver package made to be loaded off a floppy.
>
> I agree that Windows x64 isn't loading a driver that works with my
> monitor. Whatever driver windows loads to display the isntallation
> process works fine, but the final driver just doesn't work at all it
> seems.
>
> Its hard for me to believe that the Dell 17inch Trinitron is to blame.
> And both AGP video cards I have, yielded the same problem.
>

> Is there a way to alter the windows video driver from the command line?
>

> John Boy wrote:
> > Bruce Chambers wrote:

been

new

SATA

> > > Have you installed the video adapter's manufacturer's
> > > WinXPx64-specific device drivers?
> > >

> > If he cannot boot to either Normal, VGA, or even
> > Safe Mode, then how do you propose he install
> > the most current drivers? I have never been
> > able out how to do something like that if you
> > can't boot up the system.

badaczewski@gmail.com

No, I opt'ed not to get a motherboard with onboard video since I knew
I'd always have a video card. Unless I can modify the drivers used by
windows through the command line or install setup, all I can think of
doing is finding a butt old video card or another type of monitor.