Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Appreciate the Microsoft newsgroups

Appreciate the Microsoft newsgroups

Colin Barnhorst

Folks, whatever you think about Microsoft and its relationships with the
public newsgroups, it is light years more mature than Apple's relations with
its forum users.

I have been bantering back and forth on a real and serious issue (MacBook
Pro heating problems) with a small group of users (on both sides of the
issue) in one of the forums on Apple.com. There was a lot of criticism of
Apple over the issue. A few minutes ago Apple locked the forum thread.

Reason? Not an appropriate topic. Better addressed as feedback
(conveniently private).

Before you start throwing around "Evil Empire" talk, think about this one.

Benjamin Gawert

* Colin Barnhorst:

> Folks, whatever you think about Microsoft and its relationships with the
> public newsgroups, it is light years more mature than Apple's relations with
> its forum users.

Definitely.

> I have been bantering back and forth on a real and serious issue (MacBook
> Pro heating problems) with a small group of users (on both sides of the
> issue) in one of the forums on Apple.com. There was a lot of criticism of
> Apple over the issue. A few minutes ago Apple locked the forum thread.

So did Apple with several other threads that covered problems with
Apples hardware (i.e. the humming PSUs of Powermac G5, schratched iPods,
dying iBook boards etc)...

> Before you start throwing around "Evil Empire" talk, think about this one.

Exactly. And another thing to consider: the Gates Foundation spends lots
of money for charity. Steve Jobs activity is limited to some words...

Benjamin

Colin Barnhorst

We continued the discussion to a conlusion on another thread. I made the
comment that folks are going to vent and if anyone thought that could be
wished away then his reality check was coming back NSF. I just checked back
and out of eight posts, only two remain on the thread. One references my
comment, but the comment itself is gone. I've never seen the likes.

"Benjamin Gawert" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>* Colin Barnhorst:
>
>> Folks, whatever you think about Microsoft and its relationships with the
>> public newsgroups, it is light years more mature than Apple's relations
>> with its forum users.

> Definitely.
>
>> I have been bantering back and forth on a real and serious issue (MacBook
>> Pro heating problems) with a small group of users (on both sides of the
>> issue) in one of the forums on Apple.com. There was a lot of criticism
>> of Apple over the issue. A few minutes ago Apple locked the forum
>> thread.

> So did Apple with several other threads that covered problems with Apples
> hardware (i.e. the humming PSUs of Powermac G5, schratched iPods, dying
> iBook boards etc)...
>
>> Before you start throwing around "Evil Empire" talk, think about this
>> one.

> Exactly. And another thing to consider: the Gates Foundation spends lots
> of money for charity. Steve Jobs activity is limited to some words...
>
> Benjamin

Colin Barnhorst

Of course I did satarize the "I'm a Mac" series of ads. I described the
MacBook Pro heat issue this way:

(Frumpy PC guy, sipping iced tea) "I'm a PC."
(Mac dude, sweating profusely and fanning himself) "I'm a MacBook Pro."

Is it something I said?

"Benjamin Gawert" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>* Colin Barnhorst:
>
>> Folks, whatever you think about Microsoft and its relationships with the
>> public newsgroups, it is light years more mature than Apple's relations
>> with its forum users.

> Definitely.
>
>> I have been bantering back and forth on a real and serious issue (MacBook
>> Pro heating problems) with a small group of users (on both sides of the
>> issue) in one of the forums on Apple.com. There was a lot of criticism
>> of Apple over the issue. A few minutes ago Apple locked the forum
>> thread.

> So did Apple with several other threads that covered problems with Apples
> hardware (i.e. the humming PSUs of Powermac G5, schratched iPods, dying
> iBook boards etc)...
>
>> Before you start throwing around "Evil Empire" talk, think about this
>> one.

> Exactly. And another thing to consider: the Gates Foundation spends lots
> of money for charity. Steve Jobs activity is limited to some words...
>
> Benjamin

DP

> Exactly. And another thing to consider: the Gates Foundation spends lots
> of money for charity. Steve Jobs activity is limited to some words...

Maybe he'll be charitable if he ever starts making big money.

Colin Barnhorst

A billion here, a billion there, pretty soon you're talking about real
money.

"DP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...

>> Exactly. And another thing to consider: the Gates Foundation spends lots
>> of money for charity. Steve Jobs activity is limited to some words...

> Maybe he'll be charitable if he ever starts making big money.

DP

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>A billion here, a billion there, pretty soon you're talking about real
>money.

Well said, Everett.

Harry Austin

On Fri, 14 Jul 2006 18:10:56 -0600, Colin Barnhorst wrote:

> Folks, whatever you think about Microsoft and its relationships with the
> public newsgroups, it is light years more mature than Apple's relations with
> its forum users.
>
> I have been bantering back and forth on a real and serious issue (MacBook
> Pro heating problems) with a small group of users (on both sides of the
> issue) in one of the forums on Apple.com. There was a lot of criticism of
> Apple over the issue. A few minutes ago Apple locked the forum thread.
>
> Reason? Not an appropriate topic. Better addressed as feedback
> (conveniently private).
>
> Before you start throwing around "Evil Empire" talk, think about this one.

Personally, I think the Microsoft newsgroups are amazing.
I have found the newsgroups and the support offered by the MVP's and
regular contributors to be quite outstanding.
For the many that participate directly and those that simply lurk the
groups are an incredible resource.
So much is learnt simply by monitoring the threads and participating where
necessary.
They have certainly helped me a lot.
Well, I just thought I say that - had to get it off my chest!
--
Harry Austin
Somewhere in Australia

Benjamin Gawert

* DP:

>> Exactly. And another thing to consider: the Gates Foundation spends lots
>> of money for charity. Steve Jobs activity is limited to some words...

> Maybe he'll be charitable if he ever starts making big money.

Just because he only gets 1$ salary doesn't mean he doesn't get big money...

Benjamin

Tony Sperling

Hear, hear!

What's good, is good - although, I would much prefer not being ripped off to
support tax-deductable charity schemes mentioned. Were I trusted with my own
funds, I'd be perfectly competent to channel it out on my own,
(tax-dedution, or not) thank you very much. Microsoft is a Janus faced
entity - one friendly, open face and one protectionist, defensive one.

There is only one thing in this world that scares me - protectionism!

Tony. . .

news:1rkd6m9gtphze.vhuddio7qnl5$(E-Mail Removed)...