Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Right Click "Search..." doesn't work

Right Click "Search..." doesn't work

=?Utf-8?B?cG9zdG1hYw==?=

Search... does nothing from "Start" or when I right click a folder in windows
explorer. It works on my winxp 32 bit boot, but not in xp64. I tried
different user (administrator) it doesn't work either. I reinstalled search
companion too. I can click on the Search toolbar button and it works though.
--
MjY LeIsFuEs

Charlie Russel - MVP

I have no idea what product is providing your right click search feature,
but it doesn't really matter. The problem is that the feature uses a 32-bit
DLL to interact with Windows Explorer. Unfortunately, 64-bit programs can't
use 32-bit DLLs. And with Windows XP Professional x64 Edition, Windows
Explorer is a 64-bit program. You need an updated version from whomever you
got this from, or you need to use one of the workarounds that have been
discussed here and other places. See my blog post for details on one
workaround that I used to get WinZIP up and running...
http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64/arc.../19/54064.aspx

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

postmac wrote:
> Search... does nothing from "Start" or when I right click a folder in
> windows explorer. It works on my winxp 32 bit boot, but not in xp64. I
> tried different user (administrator) it doesn't work either. I
> reinstalled search companion too. I can click on the Search toolbar
> button and it works though.

=?Utf-8?B?cG9zdG1hYw==?=

When you right click start in x64 what choices are you supposed to have?
--
MjY LeIsFuEs

John Barnes

I have open, explore, search and properties + open and explore all users.
Several installed program related entries also appear (ie A/V scan start
menu)

"postmac" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> When you right click start in x64 what choices are you supposed to have?
> --
> MjY LeIsFuEs

=?Utf-8?B?cG9zdG1hYw==?=

Charlie, you wrote:
"I have no idea what product is providing your right click search feature,
but it doesn't really matter. "
The product (according to what John Barnes wrote) seems to be just the
standard windows component. That is what I am trying to get to work again.
--
MjY LeIsFuEs

"John Barnes" wrote:

> I have open, explore, search and properties + open and explore all users.
> Several installed program related entries also appear (ie A/V scan start
> menu)
>

> "postmac" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > When you right click start in x64 what choices are you supposed to have?
> > --
> > MjY LeIsFuEs

Charlie Russel - MVP

Depends on what's loaded DLL's into your system. I have about a dozen things
on it, including a search. But if you've got something that has unregistered
the default search, and re-registered a 32-bit one, you're going to not see
one in x64.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

postmac wrote:
> When you right click start in x64 what choices are you supposed to have?

Charlie Russel - MVP

Most likely, some product has replaced your search with its own. This has
caused the default search to be unregistered, and third party search to be
registered. But since the third party one is 32-bit, it won't show. I'm
guessing here, since I do see a search on my machine, along with other
things I've got loaded.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64