Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > backup utility

backup utility

=?Utf-8?B?R3JhaGFtIE5laWw=?=

Hello, I recently used the backup utility in xp pro to back up my company
files. Since then I have reformatted my drive and reinstalled windows. When
I went to get my backup file off of my external HD - It was not visible with
the xp pro backup utility anymore. Nothing I tried helped. Is there anyone
who can help me?

Thanks
graham neil
please email me @ http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

Dominic Payer

In Restore and Manage Media, select Tools and Catalog a backup file.

"Graham Neil" <Graham (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello, I recently used the backup utility in xp pro to back up my company
> files. Since then I have reformatted my drive and reinstalled windows.
> When
> I went to get my backup file off of my external HD - It was not visible
> with
> the xp pro backup utility anymore. Nothing I tried helped. Is there
> anyone
> who can help me?
>
> Thanks
> graham neil
> please email me @ (E-Mail Removed)

Charlie Russel - MVP

I'm assuming you've managed to find your way to the x64 newsgroup entirely
by mistake, here. I suspect you really wanted to post this in
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general.

The first question is - can Windows XP see the files on your USB HD. You
need to make sure that the HD has a drive letter assigned and that it's
working correctly.

Next, since there's no record in this version of XP of any backup to the
device, you need to force NTBackup to read the external drive to rebuild and
index. Click Browse under what to restore, click Browse again in the Open
Backup File dialog, browse to the backup file on the USB HD. expand the file
in the left hand pane, and you should now be able to select what you want to
restore.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Graham Neil wrote:
> Hello, I recently used the backup utility in xp pro to back up my company
> files. Since then I have reformatted my drive and reinstalled windows.
> When I went to get my backup file off of my external HD - It was not
> visible with the xp pro backup utility anymore. Nothing I tried helped.
> Is there anyone who can help me?
>
> Thanks
> graham neil
> please email me @ (E-Mail Removed)

Larry Hodges

To add to Charlie's input, in the future be sure to turn on storing catalogs
on the media, which speeds up any restore or file search functions.
Probably not an issue with a HD stored backup file, but very helpfull with a
tape system.

Go to Tools > Options > General. Put a check in the "Use the catalogs on
the media to speed up building and restoring catalogs on disk.".

-Larry
Maximize Software, Inc.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm assuming you've managed to find your way to the x64 newsgroup entirely
> by mistake, here. I suspect you really wanted to post this in
> microsoft.public.windowsxp.general.
>
> The first question is - can Windows XP see the files on your USB HD. You
> need to make sure that the HD has a drive letter assigned and that it's
> working correctly.
>
> Next, since there's no record in this version of XP of any backup to the
> device, you need to force NTBackup to read the external drive to rebuild
> and index. Click Browse under what to restore, click Browse again in the
> Open Backup File dialog, browse to the backup file on the USB HD. expand
> the file in the left hand pane, and you should now be able to select what
> you want to restore.
>

> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>

> Graham Neil wrote:
>> Hello, I recently used the backup utility in xp pro to back up my company
>> files. Since then I have reformatted my drive and reinstalled windows.
>> When I went to get my backup file off of my external HD - It was not
>> visible with the xp pro backup utility anymore. Nothing I tried helped.
>> Is there anyone who can help me?
>>
>> Thanks
>> graham neil
>> please email me @ (E-Mail Removed)

Benjamin Gawert

* Larry Hodges:

> To add to Charlie's input, in the future be sure to turn on storing catalogs
> on the media, which speeds up any restore or file search functions.
> Probably not an issue with a HD stored backup file, but very helpfull with a
> tape system.

And to add some wisdom: a backup that never has been tested is no
backup. You not only have to make the backup, you also should at least
try once if and how recovery works to be sure that restore is possible
at all. Just making backups of important data and hoping that the
restore works in case of a disaster is foolish...

Benjamin

XP BackUp Utility Si Computer Support 2 09-20-2003 03:59 PM
XP Pro BackUp Utility - One More Question! Si Computer Support 0 09-18-2003 08:45 PM
XP Pro BackUp Utility - Another Question! Si Computer Support 0 09-18-2003 10:59 AM
XP Pro BackUp Utility Si Computer Support 3 09-17-2003 02:12 PM

Advertisments