Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > system terporarily freezes/locks

system terporarily freezes/locks

=?Utf-8?B?VGlsbGVlag==?=

after an initial period of about 20 min. my system freezes for about 10
seconds every 40 to 65 seconds, i.e. mouse, keyboard, screen. After 10 sec's
it all returns to normal. After 1 hr of use, freezing occurs quicker, with
the same 10sec down time. The only other symptom is the CD writer locks
up(tray won't open/close) and is not recognized as a drive on My Computer.
This happens on or off line, when runnig multiple app's or just the Desktop.
I have shut down all user processes in Task Manager that will. Shut Zone
Alarm and Norton off. I don't know what causes it to freeze or un-freeze on
its own. I have watched "Processes & Performance" in Task Manager for hours
to see what might be pulling down. I originally thought it was scannning, but
don't think so now.
Any ideas? I work days/ check mail tomorrow night, no rush. This has been
going on for last 2 months on a 4 yr old HP pavillian 1878 that worked fine
since I installed XP Pro, 3 years ago.
Thanks for any help!
--
jt in Cat town

Colin Barnhorst

Check for overheating. Clean the databunnies out of the exhaust vents.

"Tilleej" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> after an initial period of about 20 min. my system freezes for about 10
> seconds every 40 to 65 seconds, i.e. mouse, keyboard, screen. After 10
> sec's
> it all returns to normal. After 1 hr of use, freezing occurs quicker, with
> the same 10sec down time. The only other symptom is the CD writer locks
> up(tray won't open/close) and is not recognized as a drive on My Computer.
> This happens on or off line, when runnig multiple app's or just the
> Desktop.
> I have shut down all user processes in Task Manager that will. Shut Zone
> Alarm and Norton off. I don't know what causes it to freeze or un-freeze
> on
> its own. I have watched "Processes & Performance" in Task Manager for
> hours
> to see what might be pulling down. I originally thought it was scannning,
> but
> don't think so now.
> Any ideas? I work days/ check mail tomorrow night, no rush. This has been
> going on for last 2 months on a 4 yr old HP pavillian 1878 that worked
> fine
> since I installed XP Pro, 3 years ago.
> Thanks for any help!
> --
> jt in Cat town

Jud Hendrix

On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 19:47:01 -0700, Tilleej
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>after an initial period of about 20 min. my system freezes for about 10
>seconds every 40 to 65 seconds, i.e. mouse, keyboard, screen. After 10 sec's
>it all returns to normal. After 1 hr of use, freezing occurs quicker, with
>the same 10sec down time. The only other symptom is the CD writer locks
>up(tray won't open/close) and is not recognized as a drive on My Computer.

Maybe it's a faulty CD-writer. Windows can't handle bad CD-media really
well, and tends to freeze, while vigorously trying to read the data of the
drive. Have you maybe got a CD in the drive? If I'm not mistaken, Windows
automatically polls CD/DVD-drives, and if the CD is bad, or is good, but
the reader is bad, I imagine such a thing like freezing can happen.
So I would suggest to disconnect the CD-drive to see if that solves the
problem.

jud

Benjamin Gawert

* Jud Hendrix:

> Maybe it's a faulty CD-writer. Windows can't handle bad CD-media really
> well, and tends to freeze, while vigorously trying to read the data of the
> drive.

Almsot right except that it's not Windows who can't handle it but some
drives which just hang themselves away and (which is the real problem)
also the complete IDE channel they're connected to which usually results
in a frozen system.

Benjamin

John Barnes

So if he disconnects the drive, the problem should go away. If so, replace
the drive.

"Benjamin Gawert" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>* Jud Hendrix:
>
>> Maybe it's a faulty CD-writer. Windows can't handle bad CD-media really
>> well, and tends to freeze, while vigorously trying to read the data of
>> the
>> drive.

> Almsot right except that it's not Windows who can't handle it but some
> drives which just hang themselves away and (which is the real problem)
> also the complete IDE channel they're connected to which usually results
> in a frozen system.
>
> Benjamin

Charlie Russel - MVP

yes. But also, just cleaning the drive (and the whole system) is likely to
improve the problem.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

John Barnes wrote:
> So if he disconnects the drive, the problem should go away. If so,
> replace the drive.
>

> "Benjamin Gawert" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> * Jud Hendrix:
>>
>>> Maybe it's a faulty CD-writer. Windows can't handle bad CD-media really
>>> well, and tends to freeze, while vigorously trying to read the data of
>>> the
>>> drive.

>> Almsot right except that it's not Windows who can't handle it but some
>> drives which just hang themselves away and (which is the real problem)
>> also the complete IDE channel they're connected to which usually results
>> in a frozen system.
>>
>> Benjamin

=?Utf-8?B?VGlsbGVlag==?=

Thanks, we'll see if it helps.
--
jt in Cat town

"Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

> Check for overheating. Clean the databunnies out of the exhaust vents.
>
> "Tilleej" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > after an initial period of about 20 min. my system freezes for about 10
> > seconds every 40 to 65 seconds, i.e. mouse, keyboard, screen. After 10
> > sec's
> > it all returns to normal. After 1 hr of use, freezing occurs quicker, with
> > the same 10sec down time. The only other symptom is the CD writer locks
> > up(tray won't open/close) and is not recognized as a drive on My Computer.
> > This happens on or off line, when runnig multiple app's or just the
> > Desktop.
> > I have shut down all user processes in Task Manager that will. Shut Zone
> > Alarm and Norton off. I don't know what causes it to freeze or un-freeze
> > on
> > its own. I have watched "Processes & Performance" in Task Manager for
> > hours
> > to see what might be pulling down. I originally thought it was scannning,
> > but
> > don't think so now.
> > Any ideas? I work days/ check mail tomorrow night, no rush. This has been
> > going on for last 2 months on a 4 yr old HP pavillian 1878 that worked
> > fine
> > since I installed XP Pro, 3 years ago.
> > Thanks for any help!
> > --
> > jt in Cat town

=?Utf-8?B?VGlsbGVlag==?=

what does this cleaning include? I just took 40psi to the whole cabinet.

--
jt in Cat town

"Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:

> yes. But also, just cleaning the drive (and the whole system) is likely to
> improve the problem.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>

> John Barnes wrote:
> > So if he disconnects the drive, the problem should go away. If so,
> > replace the drive.
> >

> > "Benjamin Gawert" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> * Jud Hendrix:

> >> Almsot right except that it's not Windows who can't handle it but some
> >> drives which just hang themselves away and (which is the real problem)
> >> also the complete IDE channel they're connected to which usually results
> >> in a frozen system.
> >>
> >> Benjamin

Colin Barnhorst

That should clean out the dust pretty well. How's your hay fever?

"Tilleej" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> what does this cleaning include? I just took 40psi to the whole cabinet.
>
> --
> jt in Cat town
>

> "Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:
>
>> yes. But also, just cleaning the drive (and the whole system) is likely
>> improve the problem.
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>>

>> John Barnes wrote:
>> > So if he disconnects the drive, the problem should go away. If so,
>> > replace the drive.
>> >

>> > "Benjamin Gawert" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

John Barnes

If disconnecting solved your problem, cleaning involves removing the drive
and installing a new one. The new ones are too cheap to spend much time
trying to get an old one to work. Unless you have nothing better to do with
your time. Double check any SATA connections before you close up. They can
become loose and Windows will downgrade your transfer mode without warning.
Has happened a couple of times for me.