Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > More Installation Problems

More Installation Problems

=?Utf-8?B?S2VuVUtNaWRsYW5kcw==?=

I have just built a new machine with the following components:-

MSI P4N Diamond Motherboard
Intel Pentium Extreme 840 EM64T dual-core 3.2 GHz
MSI NX7900 GTX Graphics card
Maxtor SATA 300 Gb HD
1Mb RAM

I have purchased the full version of XP Pro 64 and every time I try to
install it, everything goes fine until the system reboots from the hard drive
and the screen appears with the "Installing Devices" bar at the bottom. It
gets halfway through installing the devices and the machine just switches off.

I am trying to install the OS on as near a "bare bones" machine as possible.
No peripherals, no USB items connected, etc.

I tried about a dozen times and the same thing happens. I then tried to
install Win XP Home and it installed no problem. I took the opportunity to
update the motherboard BIOS and tried XP 64 again. Still no joy.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Colin Barnhorst

In spite of the fact that Home worked, I would test the ram.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...