Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > RAS and CHAP

RAS and CHAP

David K

I'll paraphrase a question from MSPress 70-216 page 448.

RRAS is set up on a server. Users connecting are using clients that
support only CHAP, so you enable CHAP in the RAS server's Properties.
But users still can't connect. What to do?

The answer says to go to the individual user accounts and enable the
Store Passwords Using Reversible Encryption option and the User Must
Change Password at Next Logon option. No additional explanation is
offered.

What do these settings have to do with the problem?

Thanks,
Dave

=?Utf-8?B?TXV3bGVy?=

I is because CHAP cant read the password unless it is saved in "plain text"
One thing you need to remenber is that you have to change the password before it takes affect.

David K

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 02:46:05 -0700, Muwler
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I is because CHAP cant read the password unless it is saved in "plain text".

So "store passwords using reversible encryption" means it's saved in
plain text? I think they could have made that clearer.

>One thing you need to remenber is that you have to change the password before it takes affect.

Now that makes sense, thanks.

Dave

eddiec

using reversible encryption AD stores the password in a format that it can
decrypt it to plain text. CHAP requires access to a plain text password.
Users must change their password becasue the old password has not been
stored in a decrypatble format.

eddiec

news:(E-Mail Removed)...