Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > XP 64 Bit Network printer cannot be added

XP 64 Bit Network printer cannot be added

cardalda@gmail.com

I'm the first in the office the use XP 64 bit. Everything works ecxept
for the printers. We have an old HP4000N which is supported natively by

XP64.

However, the printer is setup as a network printer and cannot be
connected directly to my machine because I have no physical access.

When I search printers in de domain, XP64 finds the HP4000 correctly
but is unable to add it because no valid drivers are held by the
Win2003 server. I cannot add the drivers to that server because I don't

have them and XP64 pops up and asks me to specify a valid .INF file.

Does anyone have a solution?

Thanx,
RRenzo Cardalda.

Charlie Russel - MVP

This was covered in the early days of my blog, but the short answer is -
when Server 2003 asks for your drivers, point it at the XP x64 CD
\amd64\ntprint.inf

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

> I'm the first in the office the use XP 64 bit. Everything works ecxept
> for the printers. We have an old HP4000N which is supported natively by
>
> XP64.
>
> However, the printer is setup as a network printer and cannot be
> connected directly to my machine because I have no physical access.
>
> When I search printers in de domain, XP64 finds the HP4000 correctly
> but is unable to add it because no valid drivers are held by the
> Win2003 server. I cannot add the drivers to that server because I don't
>
> have them and XP64 pops up and asks me to specify a valid .INF file.
>
> Does anyone have a solution?
>
> Thanx,
> RRenzo Cardalda.

cardalda@gmail.com

Hi Charlie,

I did exacly as you told but Win2003 keeps telling me that the location
does not contain a valid driver for the requested processor
architecture. (I ticked X64 Windows XP and Windows Server 2003).

Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:
> This was covered in the early days of my blog, but the short answer is -
> when Server 2003 asks for your drivers, point it at the XP x64 CD
> \amd64\ntprint.inf
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>

> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > I'm the first in the office the use XP 64 bit. Everything works ecxept
> > for the printers. We have an old HP4000N which is supported natively by
> >
> > XP64.
> >
> > However, the printer is setup as a network printer and cannot be
> > connected directly to my machine because I have no physical access.
> >
> > When I search printers in de domain, XP64 finds the HP4000 correctly
> > but is unable to add it because no valid drivers are held by the
> > Win2003 server. I cannot add the drivers to that server because I don't
> >
> > have them and XP64 pops up and asks me to specify a valid .INF file.
> >
> > Does anyone have a solution?
> >
> > Thanx,
> > RRenzo Cardalda.

Charlie Russel - MVP

Untick the server box, and make sure it is one that is native to Windows XP
x64. And make sure you're not using an HP driver for the existing one, but a
native Windows driver. That particular model often had native HP drivers
used, since they provided additional functionality. That would break the
whole process, which is extremely fussy. The two must be an _identical
match_ in the relevant .inf files.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Hi Charlie,
>
> I did exacly as you told but Win2003 keeps telling me that the location
> does not contain a valid driver for the requested processor
> architecture. (I ticked X64 Windows XP and Windows Server 2003).
>

> Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:
>> This was covered in the early days of my blog, but the short answer is -
>> when Server 2003 asks for your drivers, point it at the XP x64 CD
>> \amd64\ntprint.inf
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>>

>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>> I'm the first in the office the use XP 64 bit. Everything works ecxept
>>> for the printers. We have an old HP4000N which is supported natively by
>>>
>>> XP64.
>>>
>>> However, the printer is setup as a network printer and cannot be
>>> connected directly to my machine because I have no physical access.
>>>
>>> When I search printers in de domain, XP64 finds the HP4000 correctly
>>> but is unable to add it because no valid drivers are held by the
>>> Win2003 server. I cannot add the drivers to that server because I don't
>>>
>>> have them and XP64 pops up and asks me to specify a valid .INF file.
>>>
>>> Does anyone have a solution?
>>>
>>> Thanx,
>>> RRenzo Cardalda.

cardalda@gmail.com

What do you mean by untick the server box?
I'll describe the steps I went through:

1. On the W2003-32bit server I open the Printers panel
2. Right-click on HP4000 printer en choose Sharing
3. Radio "Share this printer" was already pushed
4. Checkbox "List in the directory" was already checked
5. Click button "Addition Drivers..."
6. 5 checkboxes appear :

[ ] Itanium - Windows XP and Windows Server 2003
[ ] X64 - Windows XP and Windows Server 2003
[X] X86 - Windows 2000, Windows XP and Windows Server 2003
[ ] X86 - Windows 95, 98 and Millennium Edition
[ ] X86 - Windows NT 4.0

7. I tick the X64 box and press OK
8. A popup asks me to provide a driver
9. I insert the XP 64 CD and browse to the \AMD64\NTPRINT.INF file and
press OK
10. Only the folder part is copied to the edit box
11. After pressing OK, Ik get the error message

(Why is it called AMD64? I use a DELL Intell 64 Bit machine)

Charlie Russel - MVP

The steps are right, so I have to assume that the printer driver isn't quite
compatible. Again, is the printer driver you're currently using a native
Windows driver? Or an HP provided one? If the later, you'll need to drop
back to a Windows one or get a matching x64 one directly from HP.

as for why the \amd64 folder, that's easy. AMD created the architecture and
Intel's CPUs are binary compatible with it, and came along a lot later,
after Intel figured out that they missed the boat. By that time, the folder
structure had already been decided on. Much the same as when you installed
32-bit windows on a computer with an AMD processor and the files were all in
the \i386 folder.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> What do you mean by untick the server box?
> I'll describe the steps I went through:
>
> 1. On the W2003-32bit server I open the Printers panel
> 2. Right-click on HP4000 printer en choose Sharing
> 3. Radio "Share this printer" was already pushed
> 4. Checkbox "List in the directory" was already checked
> 5. Click button "Addition Drivers..."
> 6. 5 checkboxes appear :
>
> [ ] Itanium - Windows XP and Windows Server 2003
> [ ] X64 - Windows XP and Windows Server 2003
> [X] X86 - Windows 2000, Windows XP and Windows Server 2003
> [ ] X86 - Windows 95, 98 and Millennium Edition
> [ ] X86 - Windows NT 4.0
>
> 7. I tick the X64 box and press OK
> 8. A popup asks me to provide a driver
> 9. I insert the XP 64 CD and browse to the \AMD64\NTPRINT.INF file and
> press OK
> 10. Only the folder part is copied to the edit box
> 11. After pressing OK, Ik get the error message
>
> (Why is it called AMD64? I use a DELL Intell 64 Bit machine)

cardalda@gmail.com

Hi Charlie,

first: thanks for sharing your time with me!

HP does not have native 64 bit drivers, instead, they tell us that
XP64/W2003-64 comes with basic drivers.
I managed to add a printer by creating a local printer which allows me
to specify a manufacturer and a printer model. Fortunately I can use
the printer's ethernet port and all works fine, except that I bypass
the server's queue.
Even after a valid driver has been loaded, XP64 refuses to a this
printer as an networked printer...

Charlie Russel - MVP

Well, it sounds like you have a workaround. It is not a "network printer"
even though your connection to it is via ethernet. This is one of those
times when MS terminology gets weird, but it is consistent. In this case
"printer" is actually "printer queue" as many of us would think of it. So a
network printer is one where the queue is external to the local computer. In
your case, because you've added it as a local printer, there's a local print
queue. The printer _port_, however, is a network port (Standard TCP/IP in
your case.)

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64