Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > 16bit installers

16bit installers

marty

Has anybody found a workaround for a program that uses a 16bit
installer? And yes i contacted the company on several occasions and they
said they have no plans to update it.
--
Marty Drabic

"We make our world significant by the courage of our questions and by
the depth of our answers." - Carl Sagan

Charlie Russel - MVP

The only solution I know that works is to install the application to a
32-bit machine, and capture the changes it makes to the registry during the
process. Then replicate those manually to the x64 machine.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

marty wrote:
> Has anybody found a workaround for a program that uses a 16bit
> installer? And yes i contacted the company on several occasions and they
> said they have no plans to update it.

Mark Gillespie

On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 13:41:29 +0100, marty <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Has anybody found a workaround for a program that uses a 16bit
> installer? And yes i contacted the company on several occasions and they
> said they have no plans to update it.

Tell the company their support sucks, and ask them why should you even
consider purchasing any of their current products.

Ditch them, find someone who updates their products at least once a
decade...

Colin Barnhorst

Some of the old installers, like Instalshield, have been around a long time
and have been tried and true. Developers had no reason to spend money to
upgrade. Until now there was no need to change them. Until now.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Colin Barnhorst wrote:
> Some of the old installers, like Instalshield, have been around a long time
> and have been tried and true. Developers had no reason to spend money to
> upgrade. Until now there was no need to change them. Until now.
>
> "marty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Has anybody found a workaround for a program that uses a 16bit installer?
>> And yes i contacted the company on several occasions and they said they
>> have no plans to update it.
>> --
>> Marty Drabic
>>
>> "We make our world significant by the courage of our questions and by the
>> depth of our answers." - Carl Sagan

--
Yeah that was their reply too....unfortunately we are stuck with this
company for now because of a legacy issue.

Colin Barnhorst

I understand that the issue with 16-bit software in general is that all x64
systems require 32 significant bits. It is not just a bug.

"marty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Colin Barnhorst wrote:
>> Some of the old installers, like Instalshield, have been around a long
>> time and have been tried and true. Developers had no reason to spend
>> money to upgrade. Until now there was no need to change them. Until
>> now.
>>
>> "marty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Has anybody found a workaround for a program that uses a 16bit
>>> installer? And yes i contacted the company on several occasions and they
>>> said they have no plans to update it.
>>> --
>>> Marty Drabic
>>>
>>> "We make our world significant by the courage of our questions and by
>>> the depth of our answers." - Carl Sagan

> --
> Yeah that was their reply too....unfortunately we are stuck with this
> company for now because of a legacy issue.

John Barnes

Did you try the program in the other post. Has helped some in the past

On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 17:56:17 +0100, marty <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Colin Barnhorst wrote:
>> Some of the old installers, like Instalshield, have been around a long
>> time and have been tried and true.

I would disagree, whilst Installshield is the market leader, it's a very
poor product. I had no end of problems developing and deploying advanced
Installshield projects.

>> Developers had no reason to spend money to upgrade.

Who needs to spend money, NSIS installer is 32bit, and works much better
than Installshield ever did for us. The only thing we miss out on is MSI
deployment, if you don't need this, then NSIS is totally awesome...

=?Utf-8?B?Sm9obiBELg==?=

Marty,
I would highly recommend WinINstall LE. I had the same problem you did. I
downloaded the eval of WinInstall to see if it would work. It worked great!
All you have to do is install the product onto a "clean machine". Basically
just a machine that does not have the software that you want to fix installed
on it. It does a first scan of the machine & then you install your 16 bit
application. It does a second install & then produces an msi file. Run the
msi file & the install works successfully. I was thoroughly impressed.

HTH,
John

"marty" wrote:

> Has anybody found a workaround for a program that uses a 16bit
> installer? And yes i contacted the company on several occasions and they
> said they have no plans to update it.
> --
> Marty Drabic
>
> "We make our world significant by the courage of our questions and by
> the depth of our answers." - Carl Sagan

Tony Sperling

Good idea, John. While I do have some oldies with 16bit installers, there's
nothing I can think of that I want on my x64 machine - but it sounds as if
it uses the method Charlie is mentioning. A lot easier for the general user
to have a *.msi instead of writing your own script to report diff's in the
registry.

Tony. . .

news:(E-Mail Removed)...