Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > vista too slow

vista too slow

=?Utf-8?B?c3RyMWQzcg==?=

hey, windows vista beta 2 64-bit is way too slow! it seems to do alright for
a while, but as soon as you have more than one window open, it really starts
dragging! this especially is true when you are trying to switch users. it
hangs for probably 2 minutes.

also, there are problems with itunes 6.0.4, which the wikipedia
compatibility list said was fully compatible. it becomes flaky, and
sometimes will not allow you to eject your ipod, and sometimes won't even see
your ipod when reinserted.

just some helpful suggestions!! i had to go back to XP!

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/com....64bit.general

Barb Bowman

Please use the Vista newsgroups for discussions of x64 Vista. To
address your post, there are some general USB issues in Beta 2 that
are independent of what application you are using. If you go into
device manager and disable USB power management on the USB root hubs,
you may see some improvements.

And as for voting for this, or using the web based newsreader under
any circumstances, there are too chances of my doing this. Slim and
None.

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP

=?Utf-8?B?c3RyMWQzcg==?=

what i'm confused. didn't i post in the
microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general newsgroup? and what is this "voting"
you speak of?

"Barb Bowman" wrote:

> Please use the Vista newsgroups for discussions of x64 Vista. To
> address your post, there are some general USB issues in Beta 2 that
> are independent of what application you are using. If you go into
> device manager and disable USB power management on the USB root hubs,
> you may see some improvements.
>
> And as for voting for this, or using the web based newsreader under
> any circumstances, there are too chances of my doing this. Slim and
> None.
>
> On Thu, 15 Jun 2006 08:06:02 -0700, str1d3r
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >hey, windows vista beta 2 64-bit is way too slow! it seems to do alright for
> >a while, but as soon as you have more than one window open, it really starts
> >dragging! this especially is true when you are trying to switch users. it
> >hangs for probably 2 minutes.
> >
> >also, there are problems with itunes 6.0.4, which the wikipedia
> >compatibility list said was fully compatible. it becomes flaky, and
> >sometimes will not allow you to eject your ipod, and sometimes won't even see
> >your ipod when reinserted.
> >
> >just some helpful suggestions!! i had to go back to XP!
> >
> >----------------
> >This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the
> >suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I
> >Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this
> >link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then
> >click "I Agree" in the message pane.
> >
> >http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/com....64bit.general

> --
>
> Barb Bowman
> MS Windows-MVP

Rick

Just want to point this out, for persons with
Vista questions, please post
to the appropriate ng, this newsgroup is for
discussions relating to Windows
XP x64, Windows Server 2003 x64 and IA 64.

Here is a list of available newsgroups for
Windows Vista as of today:

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_vide o
microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_acco unt_passwords
microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_mainten ance
microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Head on over to the following page at
Microsoft's website on how to configure
your newsreader to read Microsoft's Public
Newsgroups:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...roupsetup.mspx

str1d3r wrote:
> what i'm confused. didn't i post in the
> microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general newsgroup? and what is this "voting"
> you speak of?
>
> "Barb Bowman" wrote:
>
>> Please use the Vista newsgroups for discussions of x64 Vista. To
>> address your post, there are some general USB issues in Beta 2 that
>> are independent of what application you are using. If you go into
>> device manager and disable USB power management on the USB root hubs,
>> you may see some improvements.
>>
>> And as for voting for this, or using the web based newsreader under
>> any circumstances, there are too chances of my doing this. Slim and
>> None.
>>
>> On Thu, 15 Jun 2006 08:06:02 -0700, str1d3r
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> hey, windows vista beta 2 64-bit is way too slow! it seems to do alright for
>>> a while, but as soon as you have more than one window open, it really starts
>>> dragging! this especially is true when you are trying to switch users. it
>>> hangs for probably 2 minutes.
>>>
>>> also, there are problems with itunes 6.0.4, which the wikipedia
>>> compatibility list said was fully compatible. it becomes flaky, and
>>> sometimes will not allow you to eject your ipod, and sometimes won't even see
>>> your ipod when reinserted.
>>>
>>> just some helpful suggestions!! i had to go back to XP!
>>>
>>> ----------------
>>> This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the
>>> suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I
>>> Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this
>>> link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then
>>> click "I Agree" in the message pane.
>>>
>>> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/com....64bit.general

>> --
>>
>> Barb Bowman
>> MS Windows-MVP
>> Expert Zone & Vista Community Columnist

Kimmy

The group gods will get you. Be scared.

"str1d3r" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> what i'm confused. didn't i post in the
> microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general newsgroup? and what is this
> "voting"
> you speak of?
>
> "Barb Bowman" wrote:
>
>> Please use the Vista newsgroups for discussions of x64 Vista. To
>> address your post, there are some general USB issues in Beta 2 that
>> are independent of what application you are using. If you go into
>> device manager and disable USB power management on the USB root hubs,
>> you may see some improvements.
>>
>> And as for voting for this, or using the web based newsreader under
>> any circumstances, there are too chances of my doing this. Slim and
>> None.
>>
>> On Thu, 15 Jun 2006 08:06:02 -0700, str1d3r
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> >hey, windows vista beta 2 64-bit is way too slow! it seems to do
>> >alright for
>> >a while, but as soon as you have more than one window open, it really
>> >starts
>> >dragging! this especially is true when you are trying to switch users.
>> >it
>> >hangs for probably 2 minutes.
>> >
>> >also, there are problems with itunes 6.0.4, which the wikipedia
>> >compatibility list said was fully compatible. it becomes flaky, and
>> >sometimes will not allow you to eject your ipod, and sometimes won't
>> >even see
>> >your ipod when reinserted.
>> >
>> >just some helpful suggestions!! i had to go back to XP!
>> >
>> >----------------
>> >This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the
>> >suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the
>> >"I
>> >Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow
>> >this
>> >link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and
>> >then
>> >click "I Agree" in the message pane.
>> >
>> >http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/com....64bit.general

>> --
>>
>> Barb Bowman
>> MS Windows-MVP
>> Expert Zone & Vista Community Columnist

Jud Hendrix

On Thu, 15 Jun 2006 09:03:41 -0700, "Kimmy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>The group gods will get you. Be scared.

Did they step to hard on your toes, Mr Barnes?

jud

=?Utf-8?B?c3RyMWQzcg==?=

i'm sorry, but this group is listed under "windows vista newsgroups." that's
the heading. it's rather confusing. it's as if windows 64-bit computing
were some sort of "subgroup" of windows vista newsgroups. does microsoft
know how to read an outline format?

"Rick" wrote:

> Just want to point this out, for persons with
> Vista questions, please post
> to the appropriate ng, this newsgroup is for
> discussions relating to Windows
> XP x64, Windows Server 2003 x64 and IA 64.
>
> Here is a list of available newsgroups for
> Windows Vista as of today:
>
> microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
> microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_vide o
> microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_acco unt_passwords
> microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
> microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
> microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
> microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
> microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
> microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_mainten ance
> microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
> microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
>
> Head on over to the following page at
> Microsoft's website on how to configure
> your newsreader to read Microsoft's Public
> Newsgroups:
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...roupsetup.mspx
>
> str1d3r wrote:
> > what i'm confused. didn't i post in the
> > microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general newsgroup? and what is this "voting"
> > you speak of?
> >
> > "Barb Bowman" wrote:
> >
> >> Please use the Vista newsgroups for discussions of x64 Vista. To
> >> address your post, there are some general USB issues in Beta 2 that
> >> are independent of what application you are using. If you go into
> >> device manager and disable USB power management on the USB root hubs,
> >> you may see some improvements.
> >>
> >> And as for voting for this, or using the web based newsreader under
> >> any circumstances, there are too chances of my doing this. Slim and
> >> None.

> >> --
> >>
> >> Barb Bowman
> >> MS Windows-MVP
> >> Expert Zone & Vista Community Columnist
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...ts/bowman.mspx
> >> http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/

Rick

And, if you had been reading posts in this group
the past few days, you would have seen one in
which the Vista team apologized for putting this
group on the list and said they would take it off!

WHAT I POSTED BELOW IS CORRECT! THIS IS THE
WRONG PLACE FOR VISTA!

str1d3r wrote:
> i'm sorry, but this group is listed under "windows vista newsgroups." that's
> the heading. it's rather confusing. it's as if windows 64-bit computing
> were some sort of "subgroup" of windows vista newsgroups. does microsoft
> know how to read an outline format?
>
> "Rick" wrote:
>
>> Just want to point this out, for persons with
>> Vista questions, please post
>> to the appropriate ng, this newsgroup is for
>> discussions relating to Windows
>> XP x64, Windows Server 2003 x64 and IA 64.
>>
>> Here is a list of available newsgroups for
>> Windows Vista as of today:
>>
>> microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
>> microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_vide o
>> microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_acco unt_passwords
>> microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
>> microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
>> microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
>> microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
>> microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
>> microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_mainten ance
>> microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
>> microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
>>
>> Head on over to the following page at
>> Microsoft's website on how to configure
>> your newsreader to read Microsoft's Public
>> Newsgroups:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...roupsetup.mspx
>>
>> str1d3r wrote:
>>> what i'm confused. didn't i post in the
>>> microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general newsgroup? and what is this "voting"
>>> you speak of?

Jud Hendrix

On Thu, 15 Jun 2006 10:23:25 -0700, str1d3r
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>i'm sorry, but this group is listed under "windows vista newsgroups." that's
>the heading. it's rather confusing. it's as if windows 64-bit computing
>were some sort of "subgroup" of windows vista newsgroups. does microsoft
>know how to read an outline format?

It's a mistake made by MS and they have been contacted about it already.
This group is dealing with XP64 and Server 2003. Sometimes questions
criss-cross operating-systems, so they will be answered here as well.

jud

Colin Barnhorst

I have this issue on my 64bit machine but only on Vista x86. Vista x64 is
performing well for me. I am using an nVidia 6800 video card and a few
other posters who reported sluggishness were also using the same card. It
may be a driver not quite right.