Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Vista is beautiful but It's not functional

Reply
Thread Tools

Vista is beautiful but It's not functional

 
 
=?Utf-8?B?T3BlWHA=?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-12-2006
Hi All,
First off I know this is a beta....
I have been using Windows 64 Pro for some time and it is far from perfect ...

But, I must admit I am very disappointed in Vista....
I'm having problems with software not working.... Lock Up's ... reboots ...
IE won't load pages without reboots...
I get windows from the Beta reporting tool asking me to talk to a live rep
and then you can't click the link to accept.... my list is large of things
not working.

I know all will say you’re not giving me enough info but before you jump me
"I am Microsoft all the way" Does anyone know if the 32 bit version runs
better than 64 bit??? I've was there for the 16 to 32 and it went smoothly
for me.. but the jump to 64 has been nothing but trouble and not supported by
most other software companies and I'm not seeing the support for Vista 64
bit either.

I've been very disappointed in the jump to 64 bit... both in Windows Pro and
Vista?
I not sure they can have this ready in 8 months!
What's up... is 32 bit better?
Do most 2nd party 32 bit aps run better?
I'm totally at a lost ... I think Vista is beautiful but It's not functional
at least in 64 bit.
Again I'm Microsoft all the way and I want this to be the best OS out
their... but so far 64 bit Pro and Vista are way off.
Just trying to help... I would file bugs If Vista would let me and when I do
the screen comes up with a link to volunteer to talk to someone and it won't
take me there. I want to help, but Vista won't let me.
Just very frustrated and about to give up.... Should I try 32 bit Vista????
Thanks for listening.
Op

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Charlie Russel - MVP
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-12-2006
Please take this over to the Vista newsgroups.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64


OpeXp wrote:
> Hi All,
> First off I know this is a beta....
> I have been using Windows 64 Pro for some time and it is far from perfect
> ...
>
> But, I must admit I am very disappointed in Vista....
> I'm having problems with software not working.... Lock Up's ... reboots
> ... IE won't load pages without reboots...
> I get windows from the Beta reporting tool asking me to talk to a live rep
> and then you can't click the link to accept.... my list is large of things
> not working.
>
> I know all will say you're not giving me enough info but before you jump
> me "I am Microsoft all the way" Does anyone know if the 32 bit version
> runs better than 64 bit??? I've was there for the 16 to 32 and it went
> smoothly for me.. but the jump to 64 has been nothing but trouble and not
> supported by most other software companies and I'm not seeing the
> support for Vista 64 bit either.
>
> I've been very disappointed in the jump to 64 bit... both in Windows Pro
> and Vista?
> I not sure they can have this ready in 8 months!
> What's up... is 32 bit better?
> Do most 2nd party 32 bit aps run better?
> I'm totally at a lost ... I think Vista is beautiful but It's not
> functional at least in 64 bit.
> Again I'm Microsoft all the way and I want this to be the best OS out
> their... but so far 64 bit Pro and Vista are way off.
> Just trying to help... I would file bugs If Vista would let me and when I
> do the screen comes up with a link to volunteer to talk to someone and it
> won't take me there. I want to help, but Vista won't let me.
> Just very frustrated and about to give up.... Should I try 32 bit
> Vista???? Thanks for listening.
> Op



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
jabloomf1230
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-12-2006
I bet the Vista 64 bit beta 2 won't be any more functional over there.

BTW, did somebody finally post something conspicuously on the MS Vista
NGs not to post over here? It doesn't look like that happened. The
confusion stems from the fact that the Vista NGs do not have a 64 bit NG.

Either MS should either a) add one or b) have a 64 bit category and
then the sub-choices would be XP 64 bit NG and Vista 64 bit NG or c)
<shudder, cough, cough> make this NG for all 64 bit Windows OSes.

Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:
> Please take this over to the Vista newsgroups.
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
Jud Hendrix
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-12-2006
On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 17:57:09 -0400, jabloomf1230 <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>The confusion stems from the fact that the Vista NGs do not have a 64 bit NG.


There is (should be) no difference between the two, so Vista questions
still need to go to the Vista newsgroups.

jud

Inviato da X-Privat.Org - Registrazione gratuita http://www.x-privat.org/join.php
 
Reply With Quote
 
=?Utf-8?B?ZGZlaWZlcg==?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-13-2006
To the original op.. If I were you I would look in to checking the chipset
drivers that you have loaded. Make sure that there aren't any updated drivers
on your motherboard/system manufacturers website. This sounds an awefull lot
like a memmory controller issue.

As for the posting of vista comments etc. on this website. go to
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/com...7-af63550ee443
and you can see the current layout of the vista newsgroup support bar.
Unfortunatly, unless we can get microsoft to change that and create a vista
specific group, This is the location that these posts are going to end up,
and no amount of complaining and redirecting is going to stop the influx of
vista problems and questions. The newsgroups of late have been interesting if
not comical and gives me a bit of a breather in between writing code. Have to
hate unrealistic deadlines. In addendum, all I can say is, answer the
question the best that you can if you so desire to, and be content that even
tho beta 2 was just released to the masses, the flood SHOULD return to a
trickle again.



"OpeXp" wrote:

> Hi All,
> First off I know this is a beta....
> I have been using Windows 64 Pro for some time and it is far from perfect ...
>
> But, I must admit I am very disappointed in Vista....
> I'm having problems with software not working.... Lock Up's ... reboots ...
> IE won't load pages without reboots...
> I get windows from the Beta reporting tool asking me to talk to a live rep
> and then you can't click the link to accept.... my list is large of things
> not working.
>
> I know all will say you’re not giving me enough info but before you jump me
> "I am Microsoft all the way" Does anyone know if the 32 bit version runs
> better than 64 bit??? I've was there for the 16 to 32 and it went smoothly
> for me.. but the jump to 64 has been nothing but trouble and not supported by
> most other software companies and I'm not seeing the support for Vista 64
> bit either.
>
> I've been very disappointed in the jump to 64 bit... both in Windows Pro and
> Vista?
> I not sure they can have this ready in 8 months!
> What's up... is 32 bit better?
> Do most 2nd party 32 bit aps run better?
> I'm totally at a lost ... I think Vista is beautiful but It's not functional
> at least in 64 bit.
> Again I'm Microsoft all the way and I want this to be the best OS out
> their... but so far 64 bit Pro and Vista are way off.
> Just trying to help... I would file bugs If Vista would let me and when I do
> the screen comes up with a link to volunteer to talk to someone and it won't
> take me there. I want to help, but Vista won't let me.
> Just very frustrated and about to give up.... Should I try 32 bit Vista????
> Thanks for listening.
> Op
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
Rick
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-13-2006
I would think that since all the Vista groups
have the word "Vista" in their address that
would tend to indicate they were setup for the
specific purpose of discussing Vista specific
problems - both x86 and x64. I realize for
someone to recognize the word "Vista" one must
be able to read, too!

Here is a list of available newsgroups for
Windows Vista:

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_vide o
microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_acco unt_passwords
microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_mainten ance
microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Head on over to the following page at
Microsoft's website on how to configure
your newsreader to read Microsoft's Public
Newsgroups:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...roupsetup.mspx

dfeifer wrote:
> To the original op.. If I were you I would look in to checking the chipset
> drivers that you have loaded. Make sure that there aren't any updated drivers
> on your motherboard/system manufacturers website. This sounds an awefull lot
> like a memmory controller issue.
>
> As for the posting of vista comments etc. on this website. go to
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/com...7-af63550ee443
> and you can see the current layout of the vista newsgroup support bar.
> Unfortunatly, unless we can get microsoft to change that and create a vista
> specific group, This is the location that these posts are going to end up,
> and no amount of complaining and redirecting is going to stop the influx of
> vista problems and questions. The newsgroups of late have been interesting if
> not comical and gives me a bit of a breather in between writing code. Have to
> hate unrealistic deadlines. In addendum, all I can say is, answer the
> question the best that you can if you so desire to, and be content that even
> tho beta 2 was just released to the masses, the flood SHOULD return to a
> trickle again.
>
>
>
> "OpeXp" wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>> First off I know this is a beta....
>> I have been using Windows 64 Pro for some time and it is far from perfect ...
>>
>> But, I must admit I am very disappointed in Vista....
>> I'm having problems with software not working.... Lock Up's ... reboots ...
>> IE won't load pages without reboots...
>> I get windows from the Beta reporting tool asking me to talk to a live rep
>> and then you can't click the link to accept.... my list is large of things
>> not working.
>>
>> I know all will say you’re not giving me enough info but before you jump me
>> "I am Microsoft all the way" Does anyone know if the 32 bit version runs
>> better than 64 bit??? I've was there for the 16 to 32 and it went smoothly
>> for me.. but the jump to 64 has been nothing but trouble and not supported by
>> most other software companies and I'm not seeing the support for Vista 64
>> bit either.
>>
>> I've been very disappointed in the jump to 64 bit... both in Windows Pro and
>> Vista?
>> I not sure they can have this ready in 8 months!
>> What's up... is 32 bit better?
>> Do most 2nd party 32 bit aps run better?
>> I'm totally at a lost ... I think Vista is beautiful but It's not functional
>> at least in 64 bit.
>> Again I'm Microsoft all the way and I want this to be the best OS out
>> their... but so far 64 bit Pro and Vista are way off.
>> Just trying to help... I would file bugs If Vista would let me and when I do
>> the screen comes up with a link to volunteer to talk to someone and it won't
>> take me there. I want to help, but Vista won't let me.
>> Just very frustrated and about to give up.... Should I try 32 bit Vista????
>> Thanks for listening.
>> Op
>>


 
Reply With Quote
 
=?Utf-8?B?ZGZlaWZlcg==?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-13-2006


obviously you didn't follow the link I put in my previous post. THAT, is
where most of the posts from beta are coming from. At the top of the list in
bold is "Windows Vista Newsgroups" to include Windows 64-bit Computing. From
the looks of some of the posts on the newsgroups, the average user may not
even know what a newsgroup reader IS. When you have Windows Vista Help and
Support [Beta], With Windows 64-bit Computing under it, could it not be any
more obvious that this group is to now include vista? With windows XP quickly
approaching its end term support deadline,.. things are changing.


"Rick" wrote:

> I would think that since all the Vista groups
> have the word "Vista" in their address that
> would tend to indicate they were setup for the
> specific purpose of discussing Vista specific
> problems - both x86 and x64. I realize for
> someone to recognize the word "Vista" one must
> be able to read, too!


 
Reply With Quote
 
Jud Hendrix
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-13-2006
On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 13:18:02 -0700, dfeifer
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>With Windows 64-bit Computing under it, could it not be any
>more obvious that this group is to now include vista?


No, it is not obvious. Matter of fact it is wrong. Vista 32 = Vista 64 =
Vista and should go into the Vista newsgroups. The people in this
group/forum who experiment with Vista 64, will be in the Vista newsgroup to
answer your questions overthere.

jud

Inviato da X-Privat.Org - Registrazione gratuita http://www.x-privat.org/join.php
 
Reply With Quote
 
Colin Barnhorst
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-13-2006
Jud is correct. That there are also Vista users here among the regulars is
purely coincidental. I for one am participating in the Vista groups as well
as this one, but Vista for Vista issues and this one for XP Pro x64 issues.
If MS had created a Vista x64 ng as they should have I still wouldn't take
XP x64 questions there.

"Jud Hendrix" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 13:18:02 -0700, dfeifer
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>With Windows 64-bit Computing under it, could it not be any
>>more obvious that this group is to now include vista?

>
> No, it is not obvious. Matter of fact it is wrong. Vista 32 = Vista 64 =
> Vista and should go into the Vista newsgroups. The people in this
> group/forum who experiment with Vista 64, will be in the Vista newsgroup
> to
> answer your questions overthere.
>
> jud
>
> Inviato da X-Privat.Org - Registrazione gratuita
> http://www.x-privat.org/join.php



 
Reply With Quote
 
=?Utf-8?B?T3BlWHA=?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-14-2006
Well, it says:
Windows Vista "Help and Support" at the top followed by "Discussion in
Windows 64-bit Computing"

"Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

> Jud is correct. That there are also Vista users here among the regulars is
> purely coincidental. I for one am participating in the Vista groups as well
> as this one, but Vista for Vista issues and this one for XP Pro x64 issues.
> If MS had created a Vista x64 ng as they should have I still wouldn't take
> XP x64 questions there.
>
> "Jud Hendrix" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 13:18:02 -0700, dfeifer
> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> >>With Windows 64-bit Computing under it, could it not be any
> >>more obvious that this group is to now include vista?

> >
> > No, it is not obvious. Matter of fact it is wrong. Vista 32 = Vista 64 =
> > Vista and should go into the Vista newsgroups. The people in this
> > group/forum who experiment with Vista 64, will be in the Vista newsgroup
> > to
> > answer your questions overthere.
> >
> > jud
> >
> > Inviato da X-Privat.Org - Registrazione gratuita
> > http://www.x-privat.org/join.php

>
>
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Apple Quicktime not fully functional on Vista Ultimate 64 Ron Windows 64bit 8 06-12-2008 07:35 PM
Vista codec packages for Vista 32 & vista 64 Kue2 Windows 64bit 0 03-05-2007 05:48 PM
Vista is beautiful but It's not functional =?Utf-8?B?T3BlWHA=?= Windows 64bit 1 06-12-2006 10:45 PM
anybody could recommend me a small but functional ASP editor? Alont ASP General 7 05-04-2004 12:18 PM



Advertisments