Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Vista install question (Please help me out)

Vista install question (Please help me out)

=?Utf-8?B?V2lsbGllIFNtaXRo?=

I have just downloaded Vista and burned it to a DVD. I rebooted with the DVD
bootable and it said installing files, then when to the progress bar going
accross the screen (with Microsoft 2006 under it). It stayed that way forever
and would go no futher ( I actually took a nap and came back a few hours
later). I just built the computer! Motherboard: MSI K9N Platinum SLI AM2
Porcessor: AMD A64 (AM2 socket)
RAM: DDR2 512

I am running Windows XP Pro right now. When I click on setup on the DVD it
said it wasn't a valid WIN32 application...

Colin Barnhorst

If you are trying to install Vista x64, simply boot the computer with the
dvd.

"Willie Smith" <Willie http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have just downloaded Vista and burned it to a DVD. I rebooted with the
>DVD
> bootable and it said installing files, then when to the progress bar going
> accross the screen (with Microsoft 2006 under it). It stayed that way
> forever
> and would go no futher ( I actually took a nap and came back a few hours
> later). I just built the computer! Motherboard: MSI K9N Platinum SLI AM2
> Porcessor: AMD A64 (AM2 socket)
> RAM: DDR2 512
>
> I am running Windows XP Pro right now. When I click on setup on the DVD it
> said it wasn't a valid WIN32 application...

=?Utf-8?B?V2lsbGllIFNtaXRo?=

I tried booting with the DVD but it goes nowhere after the second screen

"Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

> If you are trying to install Vista x64, simply boot the computer with the
> dvd.
>
> "Willie Smith" <Willie (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I have just downloaded Vista and burned it to a DVD. I rebooted with the
> >DVD
> > bootable and it said installing files, then when to the progress bar going
> > accross the screen (with Microsoft 2006 under it). It stayed that way
> > forever
> > and would go no futher ( I actually took a nap and came back a few hours
> > later). I just built the computer! Motherboard: MSI K9N Platinum SLI AM2
> > Porcessor: AMD A64 (AM2 socket)
> > RAM: DDR2 512
> >
> > I am running Windows XP Pro right now. When I click on setup on the DVD it
> > said it wasn't a valid WIN32 application...

Colin Barnhorst

What kind of hard drive are you installing to?

"Willie Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I tried booting with the DVD but it goes nowhere after the second screen
>
> "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
>
>> If you are trying to install Vista x64, simply boot the computer with the
>> dvd.
>>
>> "Willie Smith" <Willie (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >I have just downloaded Vista and burned it to a DVD. I rebooted with the
>> >DVD
>> > bootable and it said installing files, then when to the progress bar
>> > going
>> > accross the screen (with Microsoft 2006 under it). It stayed that way
>> > forever
>> > and would go no futher ( I actually took a nap and came back a few
>> > hours
>> > later). I just built the computer! Motherboard: MSI K9N Platinum SLI
>> > AM2
>> > Porcessor: AMD A64 (AM2 socket)
>> > RAM: DDR2 512
>> >
>> > I am running Windows XP Pro right now. When I click on setup on the DVD
>> > it
>> > said it wasn't a valid WIN32 application...

=?Utf-8?B?V2lsbGllIFNtaXRo?=

I have a Seagate 300 gig Ultra ATA/100 7200 rpm 16 MB Cache

"Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

> What kind of hard drive are you installing to?
>
> "Willie Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I tried booting with the DVD but it goes nowhere after the second screen
> >
> > "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
> >
> >> If you are trying to install Vista x64, simply boot the computer with the
> >> dvd.
> >>
> >> "Willie Smith" <Willie (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Colin Barnhorst

Disconnect all the peripherals that you can. You can set them up later.
Are you getting any error messages? Are you sure you only have 512MB of
ram? 1GB is recommended.

"Willie Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a Seagate 300 gig Ultra ATA/100 7200 rpm 16 MB Cache
>
> "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
>
>> What kind of hard drive are you installing to?
>>
>> "Willie Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >I tried booting with the DVD but it goes nowhere after the second screen

=?Utf-8?B?Q29keQ==?=

You either have to partition the hard drive or do a fresh install unless
you're running xp pro 64

"Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

> Disconnect all the peripherals that you can. You can set them up later.
> Are you getting any error messages? Are you sure you only have 512MB of
> ram? 1GB is recommended.
>

> "Willie Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I have a Seagate 300 gig Ultra ATA/100 7200 rpm 16 MB Cache
> >
> > "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
> >
> >> What kind of hard drive are you installing to?
> >>
> >> "Willie Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

=?Utf-8?B?V2lsbGllIFNtaXRo?=

After booting I can see the screen that says Windows is installing files (the
first screen), The a screen with the progress meter comes up (Second screen),
then it stays there. I just built this computer (yesterday)! Really no
peripherals except for Lexmark x1185 printer, DSL modem, and EVGA E7600
video card. That is it!

I am wondering if the DVD burn was bad or something. I have a Memorex 16x
dual layer burner. I burned it to a DVD-R 4.7 gig disk

"Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

> Disconnect all the peripherals that you can. You can set them up later.
> Are you getting any error messages? Are you sure you only have 512MB of
> ram? 1GB is recommended.
>

> "Willie Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I have a Seagate 300 gig Ultra ATA/100 7200 rpm 16 MB Cache
> >
> > "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
> >
> >> What kind of hard drive are you installing to?
> >>
> >> "Willie Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

bob.childress@gmail.com

I having issue with installing 32bit Vista on 300 gig Maxtor drive,
clean or upgrade. I'm thinking a problem with large drives. It's an ATA
drive not SATA.

Colin Barnhorst

Better run a memory test.