Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > System Restore dilemma

System Restore dilemma

John Barnes

Booted up this morning and my CD-DVD drives were missing. Checked messages
and imapi driver failed to load. (missing or corrupt message 39) Went to
System Restore to restore to earlier time and selected one and tried to do a
restore, but the message that drive D could not be restored because it was
not set to monitor or was removed. Problem is that in system properties it
is set to monitor and it is the System (and boot) drive.
I have a backup of the drivers file from before the problem, but am at a
loss as to how to get system restore to function (really monitor) the drive.
Any ideas?

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Have you tried removing the Device through Device Manager, restart the
system and see if it redetects the drive? Click Start > Control Panel >
System > Hardware (tab) > Device Manager > expand DVD/CD-ROM Drives > right
click the optical drive thats giving you problems, click uninstall and
restart the system.
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Booted up this morning and my CD-DVD drives were missing. Checked
> messages and imapi driver failed to load. (missing or corrupt message 39)
> Went to System Restore to restore to earlier time and selected one and
> tried to do a restore, but the message that drive D could not be restored
> because it was not set to monitor or was removed. Problem is that in
> system properties it is set to monitor and it is the System (and boot)
> drive.
> I have a backup of the drivers file from before the problem, but am at a
> loss as to how to get system restore to function (really monitor) the
> drive. Any ideas?

John Barnes

Yes. Tried that and tried uninstalling and using the add hardware. Get 'a
problem occurred during hardware .....' and still have the restore problem
which is my main concern. Thanks.

news:uBvl%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Have you tried removing the Device through Device Manager, restart the
> system and see if it redetects the drive? Click Start > Control Panel >
> System > Hardware (tab) > Device Manager > expand DVD/CD-ROM Drives >
> right click the optical drive thats giving you problems, click uninstall
> and restart the system.
> Andre
> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Booted up this morning and my CD-DVD drives were missing. Checked
>> messages and imapi driver failed to load. (missing or corrupt message
>> 39) Went to System Restore to restore to earlier time and selected one
>> and tried to do a restore, but the message that drive D could not be
>> restored because it was not set to monitor or was removed. Problem is
>> that in system properties it is set to monitor and it is the System (and
>> boot) drive.
>> I have a backup of the drivers file from before the problem, but am at a
>> loss as to how to get system restore to function (really monitor) the
>> drive. Any ideas?

John Barnes

No one with any ideas on how to get System Restore (which shows 'monitoring'
in System Properties) to actually create a restore file that can be used to
restore to a prior time (shows that the drive being monitored will NOT be
restored [due to not being monitored or connected])?
The drive is the system (and boot) drive, so it cannot be safely removed,
and if unplugged should start monitoring on boot-up again. It hasn't been
unplugged since installed, though.

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...