Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Am i right to go?

Am i right to go?

=?Utf-8?B?QW5kcmV3amM=?=

Hello experts, i am 14 year old who would like to try Vista out

I am running a Asus A8N5X
4400+
7900GT
250g hard drive
X-fi sound

I got this computer about 1 month ago, my question is. When I installed
windows XP Pro. I made a partition. 75G for C drive and the other space is J
drive.

When i installed windows i had to get borrow a Floppy drive, when installing
XP, so i could get my maxtor 250 SATA 2 drive working.

When i try to install Vita x64 will i need to borrow a floppy drive again? I
am planning on using the J drive which is empty.

Colin Barnhorst

This is not a Vista newsgroup. This ng is for 64-bit systems of the XP and
Server 2003 generation. You might try
microsoft.public.windows.vista.general for Vista questions.

Having said that, I assume by 4400+ you mean an AMD Athlon 64 x2 4400+. I
have the same cpu and an similar Asus mobo and have had no problems running
both the x86 and x64 versions of Vista. You did not say how much ram you
have, but 1GB is sufficient. Your video card will support Aero Glass fine.

If you had to use a floppy to provide a SATA driver when installing XP you
will need to do so when installing Vista. The F6 method of providing a
driver for XP has changed for Vista. For Vista you select "Load Driver" on
one of the screens early on.

Note: My mobo supports SATA without my needing to supply a floppy and I am
surprised that you had to provide a driver during the XP installation.

"Andrewjc" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello experts, i am 14 year old who would like to try Vista out
>
> I am running a Asus A8N5X
> 4400+
> 7900GT
> 250g hard drive
> X-fi sound
>
> I got this computer about 1 month ago, my question is. When I installed
> windows XP Pro. I made a partition. 75G for C drive and the other space is
> drive.
>
> When i installed windows i had to get borrow a Floppy drive, when
> installing
> XP, so i could get my maxtor 250 SATA 2 drive working.
>
> When i try to install Vita x64 will i need to borrow a floppy drive again?
> am planning on using the J drive which is empty.

=?Utf-8?B?QW5kcmV3amM=?=

Thanks for the reply sorry for posting this in the worng spot and i also did
a double post, because when i posted both times it said i got a problem
sending information, so i went and did another.

I yes i do have the AMD Athlon 64 x2 4400+ and I have 2 G of ram.

I am not sure if i actually do need a floppy but a friend who was helping me
install windows told me i did, to make the hard drive work, or something.

"Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

> This is not a Vista newsgroup. This ng is for 64-bit systems of the XP and
> Server 2003 generation. You might try
> microsoft.public.windows.vista.general for Vista questions.
>
> Having said that, I assume by 4400+ you mean an AMD Athlon 64 x2 4400+. I
> have the same cpu and an similar Asus mobo and have had no problems running
> both the x86 and x64 versions of Vista. You did not say how much ram you
> have, but 1GB is sufficient. Your video card will support Aero Glass fine.
>
> If you had to use a floppy to provide a SATA driver when installing XP you
> will need to do so when installing Vista. The F6 method of providing a
> driver for XP has changed for Vista. For Vista you select "Load Driver" on
> one of the screens early on.
>
> Note: My mobo supports SATA without my needing to supply a floppy and I am
> surprised that you had to provide a driver during the XP installation.
>
> "Andrewjc" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hello experts, i am 14 year old who would like to try Vista out
> >
> > I am running a Asus A8N5X
> > 4400+
> > 7900GT
> > 250g hard drive
> > X-fi sound
> >
> > I got this computer about 1 month ago, my question is. When I installed
> > windows XP Pro. I made a partition. 75G for C drive and the other space is
> > drive.
> >
> > When i installed windows i had to get borrow a Floppy drive, when
> > installing
> > XP, so i could get my maxtor 250 SATA 2 drive working.
> >
> > When i try to install Vita x64 will i need to borrow a floppy drive again?
> > am planning on using the J drive which is empty.

Colin Barnhorst

You friend may not realize that SATA is supported by the mobo firmware. Try
without a floppy.